Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What would the commercials show?
    A creepy woman in the middle of a field surrounded by Buddhist monks doing a dance whilst not selling the device at all, I'd imagine.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evanoliver View Post
    Since when did AT&T have the pre???
    Demo units are being delivered to stores as we speak, uh, type. I just happened to go in last night and ask the manager, and he said it just came in, but he wasn't sure if I was supposed to see it yet. He called his area manager, called me right back, and said to come back and see it.
    tim
    I think there's a decent chance of success. If AT&T claims the Pre + as its own and treats it like an exclusive then yeah they can run with it. And why shouldn't they? It's not like the phone has been selling like hotcakes on any other network. It basically is an exclusive.

This phone is unique in that every provider has had an opportunity to take this phone at launch and absolutely kill with it... And yet so far they have failed. AT&T could easily change this and reap the rewards if it sees fit.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    I think there's a decent chance of success. If AT&T claims the Pre + as its own and treats it like an exclusive then yeah they can run with it. And why shouldn't they? It's not like the phone has been selling like hotcakes on any other network. It basically is an exclusive.

This phone is unique in that every provider has had an opportunity to take this phone at launch and absolutely kill with it... And yet so far they have failed. AT&T could easily change this and reap the rewards if it sees fit.
    I hope you are right, but, why would they, when they've sold 25 million iPhones, with the next gen on the summer horizon?
    tim
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    More specs would make no difference. 3200GB, 5 SD slots, and Flash, Silverlight, and Quicktime compatibility wouldn't change the equation.

WebOS couldn't possibly offer the same caliber of experience as the iPad, and it definitely couldn't offer the app quality. And before I get jumped on by the "Well, go get an iPhone, you stinking traitor!" brigade, let me qualify that.

The leading apps made for the iPad have a level of flash and polish that isn't present anywhere on smartphone-sized screens right now, even with iPhone. They also have some pretty big names behind them, and they wouldn't bother with an up-rezz'd version for a WebOS tablet if Palm paid them to. These "killer apps", moreso than any Apple marketing magic or hype, is what is driving iPad sales, and they are defining the iPad experience along with Apple's super smooth system UI.

The 800mhz patch - much as I love it and will not go without it - shows that even ramping WebOS up to that speed will not make it anywhere near as smooth or responsive as the iPad or iPhone OS. The very framework of the OS has to be reworked and linked to the GPU for this to happen.

Then, there's the fact that WebOS doesn't even have a comparable app catalog to competitors at the smartphone level, so even if you up-rezz'd what was already there...still no dice. What would the commercials show?

But I've been reading these rumor reports of Chinese companies considering buying Palm just to stick WebOS on basic generic smartphones for entry-level users and other equipment, and that would be ideal for the current state of the OS. But a tablet to be sold in the current domestic market? No chance in hell of succeeding.
    Personally I think the base of WebOS would have made a better candidate for an iPad device. Yes it doesn't have the massive app catalog, but the additional power and screen estate would certainly make great use of WebOS multitasking. Unfortunately I highly doubt Palm could make much of a dent in the niche that the iPad fills. I truly believe that the only reason the iPad sells beyond that niche is because it's an Apple product, and Palm doesn't have that brand name fanaticism.
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evanoliver View Post
    A creepy woman in the middle of a field surrounded by Buddhist monks doing a dance whilst not selling the device at all, I'd imagine.
    No they split with that ad agency a week or two ago. Thank goodness!
    Been anxiously awaiting this phone since CTIA. Carrier other than AT&T is not an option for me. My Treo Pro is on it's last legs. Definately prefer to get the Pre but can't wait forever. As other cool phones are in the pipeline, may need to go with iPhone or Android if this thing remains just a rumor or the release is delayed too long. Should have been at least an unlocked GSM version by now. Inability to actually deliver the goods has hurt Palm immensely.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    since it's GSM, I can envision a commercial where the user is using the phone through BT while navigating through google maps and another friend tethered through the mobile hotspot app on a yahoo branded site. True multitasking
    As we already know, we need a new device ASAP. Or at the very least, another update to the Pre. New processor, More internal memory. Pre++.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I don't see AT&T pushing the pre as AT&T already has to pay Apple for the privilege of selling the iPhone.

I really don't see the hype in the iPhone it is the same old tired design it is not attractive at all it is tied down to Apples system.

In my opinion the Palm Pre blows away the iPhone.

The next version of the iPhone due in June will look pretty much like the first three that came before it. The iPhone is looking very dated these days.
    Remember, the Droid is selling better than the iPhone, and Verizon also has the Storm2 and Omnia II.
    Ya but at&t is the WORST CELL PROVIDER in the US i use to work for them b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s the way they treat customers and so on would def. give palm a bad image maybe just like they have in some cases with the iphon...
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Iphone 4.0 on Verzion and not AT&T = hopefully a new WebOS phone on AT&T = Sales... What else phone does AT&T got besides the Iphone?
    um, the Backflip? But seriously, they have the BB Bold.
    More specs would make no difference. 3200GB, 5 SD slots, and Flash, Silverlight, and Quicktime compatibility wouldn't change the equation.

WebOS couldn't possibly offer the same caliber of experience as the iPad, and it definitely couldn't offer the app quality. And before I get jumped on by the "Well, go get an iPhone, you stinking traitor!" brigade, let me qualify that.

The leading apps made for the iPad have a level of flash and polish that isn't present anywhere on smartphone-sized screens right now, even with iPhone. They also have some pretty big names behind them, and they wouldn't bother with an up-rezz'd version for a WebOS tablet if Palm paid them to. These "killer apps", moreso than any Apple marketing magic or hype, is what is driving iPad sales, and they are defining the iPad experience along with Apple's super smooth system UI.

The 800mhz patch - much as I love it and will not go without it - shows that even ramping WebOS up to that speed will not make it anywhere near as smooth or responsive as the iPad or iPhone OS. The very framework of the OS has to be reworked and linked to the GPU for this to happen.

Then, there's the fact that WebOS doesn't even have a comparable app catalog to competitors at the smartphone level, so even if you up-rezz'd what was already there...still no dice. What would the commercials show?

But I've been reading these rumor reports of Chinese companies considering buying Palm just to stick WebOS on basic generic smartphones for entry-level users and other equipment, and that would be ideal for the current state of the OS. But a tablet to be sold in the current domestic market? No chance in hell of succeeding.
    I think you mean app quantity. webOS has much better apps than either Android or iDevice, and I have had an iPod Touch 2G and a Droid Eris.

webOS is much faster than iPhone OS even without the 800MHz overclock. Our multitasking is actually true multitasking, and my Pre Plus is way faster than my brother's iPod Touch when I have 20+ apps running (including games such as Assassin's Creed, Asphalt) and he has exactly 1, as usual.

webOS has most of the actually good games that iPhone OS has, because Gameloft, the biggest publisher of good games on the App Store, has the cream of their crop on the App Catalog. Hero of Sparta, Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles, Asphalt 5, N.O.V.A, Brothers In Arms, and several others. If we get E.A. Mobile over, we are home free.
    Marketing would have helped six months ago, but what Palm/Web OS needs now is a new device and major marketing campaign. ATT will add some sales, but I would not expect those sales to be significant. The iPhone is ATT's biggest seller by far, the new iPhone is just around the corner, and the Pre is dated relative to where the iPhone will be and the new smartphones from HTC (EVO, Incredible, HD2). Verizon and Sprint did not and still do not have the iPhone, so the Pre was, up until the latest Android phones became available, a compelling choice. Clearly sales on Verizon and Sprint have not been good enough. The performance, features, and certainty that Android will be around in the future make these phones a safer bet. I would like to get a Web OS phone, but I do not like the current Pre device, and the action in terms of development is now focused primarily on iPhone and Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwpwn View Post
    I think you mean app quantity. webOS has much better apps than either Android or iDevice, and I have had an iPod Touch 2G and a Droid Eris.
    What?

webOS is much faster than iPhone OS even without the 800MHz overclock. Our multitasking is actually true multitasking, and my Pre Plus is way faster than my brother's iPod Touch when I have 20+ apps running (including games such as Assassin's Creed, Asphalt) and he has exactly 1, as usual.
    What?

webOS has most of the actually good games that iPhone OS has, because Gameloft, the biggest publisher of good games on the App Store, has the cream of their crop on the App Catalog. Hero of Sparta, Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles, Asphalt 5, N.O.V.A, Brothers In Arms, and several others. If we get E.A. Mobile over, we are home free.
    What?
    One thing I haven't heard anyone mention so far (here anyway) is the lack of flash support (once available) planned for the Iphone! I know personally having been an ATT customer for about a decade now and also being a sprint customer now specifically for the Pre (yes Im with both carriers!), Apples decision to not support flash, and a garbage multitasking concept, may be a very good reason for alot of Iphone users who are looking to upgrade to newer versions or newer devices to turn away from the IPhone and switch to the Pre Plus once it launches. I think if timed right between ATT and Palm, launching around the time Flash support becomes available would be a huge marketing push for both, being the only device right then to have Flash functionality on the ATT network. Until BB upgrades anyways... There is alot of potential for a great boost with the ATT launch for Palm. Obviously ATT is not going to do anything to hurt their cash cow in the IPhone, but competition is the cornerstone of healthy growth in business so, it can only be good!! Not to mention the fact that the Pre Plus will be the only phone on the network to rival the IPhones storage capacity, as of right now anyway I believe... I hate to say but once the Pre Plus launches on ATT I will be dumping my sprint service and going back to ATT only, as I only roam on sprint where Im at anyways.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Now, if the launch at AT&T is successful enough and they get the device in enough new hands, could that lead to increased app development, which could in turn lead to more Pre Plus devices being sold, etc?
    I think the answer to that is an astounding...YES!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    WebOS couldn't possibly offer the same caliber of experience as the iPad,
    Really?

The leading apps made for the iPad have a level of flash and polish that isn't present anywhere on smartphone-sized screens right now, even with iPhone. They also have some pretty big names behind them, and they wouldn't bother with an up-rezz'd version for a WebOS tablet if Palm paid them to.
    Why wouldd you compare a smartphone to a tablet? They would bother if Palm had more $ than Apple. The only reason the big names go to Apple is because they want $.

I agree that I shouldn't have to run an 800 patch to compete with an iphone speed wise but reworking the framework? That sounds like a long stretch especially since both use the same processor.

A computing experience similar to that of your current laptop os that is non-dependent on apps rather it depends on a complete computing experience which ipad seemed to overlook.
    Since I am in hell already I will say that there are always two sides to rumors. I heard a rumor that Palm won the lottery and just bought out apple and google. Your idea of success seems to be sales $, while my idea of success is intelligent computing. (regardless of sales numbers) Webos is still to me the most intelligent os out there and a 3-letter word (app) is not going to change my mind
    Last edited by double1; 04/19/2010 at 02:06 AM.
    nope palm pre will fail with at and t as well. Garbage hardware.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast