Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I work for radioshack and i have always been a proud supporter of palm and 3 days ago i sold a guy the pre. Guy came back today and wanted to return it, i asked him why and he said because everytime he closes the slider the phone restarts. So i checked it out and he was right.
    Normally i would have exchanged it for him but since it seems that we are not going to carry the pre anymore, i was out of stock. So I had to give the guy the hero. Sad day
    Anyone else have any similiar experiences?
    check to see if the battery was loose? so each time you closed the slider, the battery lost contact? only reason i can think of physical movement being the cause. although i dont even own a pre... just read every thing on these forums
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    All you had to do was recommend that he stuff a tiny bit of paper on top of the battery to keep it from bumping around with the slider or give him a new battery and it would have been fixed it's a very well known issue
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    All you had to do was recommend that he stuff a tiny bit of paper on top of the battery to keep it from bumping around with the slider or give him a new battery and it would have been fixed it's a very well known issue
    Yea, this was a well known issue from last year. Palm modified the Pre last year to fix this issue. All you had to do was put a paper in the battery compartment to hold the batery in place (as 063_xobx said). It's a shame that he left his Pre for this reason
  5.    #5  
    oh i probably should have mentioned that i tried that. I put a few pieces of paper in there and it would still shut off, im actually messing with it now to try and figure out why its doing it
    All you had to do was recommend that he stuff a tiny bit of paper on top of the battery to keep it from bumping around with the slider
    Quote Originally Posted by richardschris View Post
    So I work for radioshack and i have always been a proud supporter of palm and 3 days ago i sold a guy the pre. Guy came back today and wanted to return it, i asked him why and he said because everytime he closes the slider the phone restarts. So i checked it out and he was right.
    Normally i would have exchanged it for him but since it seems that we are not going to carry the pre anymore, i was out of stock. So I had to give the guy the hero. Sad day
    Anyone else have any similiar experiences?
    you're fired
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What is that supposed to mean?
    You would really recommend jamming a piece of paper into a 3 day old phone? What's next, recommending a rubber band to someone with a broken battery door?
    You would really recommend jamming a piece of paper into a 3 day old phone? What's next, recommending a rubber band to someone with a broken battery door?
    The best solutions are often simple. It's not like anyone sees the paper anyways. All Palm does is stuff a foam tab in there...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.

Wouldn't it be kind of embarassing to "recommend" stuffing paper in the phone to see if it would fix the shutting off issue? I'm a big Palm/webOS fan but if I was a customer with this issue and the salesman suggested that to me I would be ****ed off.
    The official fix was to put a piece of foam padding at the top of the battery to hold the connections snugly together. A lot easier and cheaper then completely redesigning the battery compartment...
    that's like recommending someone who just bought a laptop to duct tape the lid so it stays open....that's just straight GHETTO
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    The best solutions are often simple. It's not like anyone sees the paper anyways. All Palm does is stuff a foam tab in there...
    Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I have some standards for new products I buy that don't include playing McGyver just to make them work...
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charles77k View Post
    Wouldn't it be kind of embarassing to "recommend" stuffing paper in the phone to see if it would fix the shutting off issue? I'm a big Palm/webOS fan but if I was a customer with this issue and the salesman suggested that to me I would be ****ed off.
    Unless he gave me a $20 to put there.
    Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I have some standards for new products I buy that don't include playing McGyver just to make them work...
    oh man, i seriously lol'd
    No need to. Palm fixed this issue a while ago. The Pre that OP is talking about must have been a very old one.
    Sounds like a similar problem that the BB Storm had. It has the click sound virtual keyboard. Not all the buttons would click. So a simple fix was to put a business card on top of the battery to put additional pressure on the inside of the phone so all the keys would have a click sound. Other solutions were placing a dime on top of the battery.
    I have to agree with some others in here...there shouldnt have to be a fix. If I brought back an expensive piece electronics and the guy recommended to shove a piece of paper in the back to fix it, Id be ****ed. Yes sir, the gas peddle on your Porsche is loose, but if i just put a piece of duct tape right here, yep, there ya go.
    I read, some time ago, that putting the paper in the battery compartment increased the risk of fire.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast