Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    A few weeks ago my Pre decided that my data wouldn't work well at my house. I live in a very strong signal area and Sprint data works fantastically well at my house otherwise (even on a different Sprint Pre also on my account). I went through the whole routine of partial erase, full erase, ##786# erase, erased and made a new Palm Profile...etc. Eventually I gave up and convinced the Sprint store to exchange it out for a brand new one (completely different build date and everything) as I was about to go on vacation and couldn't risk being without a properly functioning device (it was roughly 40 days old).

I set the new one up with a brand new Palm profile and it seemed to work well the few hours I was at my house before heading out on vacation. It performed flawlessly the entire time I was on vacation. I fell asleep the minute I walked in the door from vacation pretty much so I didn't check on it that night, but the next morning it had virtually no data connectivity at my house. The other Pre on my account still works fine at my house. What's wrong? Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Sprint doesn't know, nor does Palm. They want me to do another RTN and I'm f'in' tired of losing my text messages every other week!
    I feel your pain.

I too have suddenly had both data and phone connection issues at home, starting about three weeks ago. I am a ten-year Sprint customer, and this is the first time this has ever happened here.

Sprint tech support has been horribly inconsistent, but they haven't suggested any of the reset options you've tried (nor am I willing to try them until they get out here and guarantee the problem is my phone and not their towers). The most recent exchange with them ended with an offer to replace my phone, which I am not really willing to do since it works just fine almost everywhere else I travel, and I like the set-up it has right now.

They have mostly been wasting time failing to reach me (HEY, the phone doesn't work when I'm home! duh!).

Frustrating! but ... no answer yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    I feel your pain.

I too have suddenly had both data and phone connection issues at home, starting about three weeks ago. I am a ten-year Sprint customer, and this is the first time this has ever happened here.

Sprint tech support has been horribly inconsistent, but they haven't suggested any of the reset options you've tried (nor am I willing to try them until they get out here and guarantee the problem is my phone and not their towers). The most recent exchange with them ended with an offer to replace my phone, which I am not really willing to do since it works just fine almost everywhere else I travel, and I like the set-up it has right now.

They have mostly been wasting time failing to reach me (HEY, the phone doesn't work when I'm home! duh!).

Frustrating! but ... no answer yet.
    There are so many factors. You could have two phones in a row that for some reason dont receive well in your house. This could be because of the frequency propagation and maybe the antenna isnt setup quite like it should be inside your phone. So many variables I cant even begin to suggest.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Finally gave up and RTN'd the phone, then WebOS Doctored it...then RTN'd again...had Sprint do another EVDO reset on their end (while ##EVDO# resetting here)...it just didn't work out at all! I guess I'll exchange again tomorrow. *sniff* (again). Ugh. I'm thinking the GPS chip is too powerful in this one and it takes away from the EVDO signal (this one picks up where no other phone will). Oddly, google maps thinks I'm outside when I'm home with the reception issues tho it has always showed me inside my house before (other PrPrPr&#$275$;$s$ $and$ $other$ $people$'$s$ $phones$ $at$ $least$). $Weird$ $weird$ $problems$!
    I have no sympathy for you since I don't even get a ****ing signal to be able to get data or a damn phone call. On top of that Sprint won't fix it, but they will sell me a "booster" that uses my internet bandwidth and charge me a monthly fee... :/
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I wonder if this is due to how the Pre picks the cell tower to use. See my post explaining how the Pre does poorly with the Airave when the public signal varies. In short, the Pre seems to pick the signal that is growing in strength rather than the strongest signal.

Update: The URL is <http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/242600-when-does-pre-switch-between-cells.html#post2402976>. Don't know why the above isn't working.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Did you do a PRL update recently? Did (or can) Sprint push one out to your phone without you knowing about it?

I did a manual PRL update on Thursday, and my Sprint coverage at home has dipped from two bars and usable EVDO to marginal signals and roaming most of the time. I'm wondering if your original phone didn't do a PRL update, the replacement came with the new PRL, and the other phone you tested with was still using the old PRL that worked near your house?

Also, did you try turning on data roaming to see if there's coverage from another EVDO carrier near your house?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    I have no sympathy for you since I don't even get a ****ing signal to be able to get data or a damn phone call. On top of that Sprint won't fix it, but they will sell me a "booster" that uses my internet bandwidth and charge me a monthly fee... :/

And I have no sympathy for you. They won't even send me the booster! It's not available in my area. Great connection almost everywhere...except for my home. It won't even roam worth a damn and Verizon covers this area like a boss.

But numerous posters will tell you the Pre has no radio issues and we're making this all up, so what do we know?

The wireless is pretty crappy, too. I'm typing this from my laptop in a room where I have 5 bars. The number of bars I have on the Pre is exactly NONE because it can't even pick the wireless up. You move further than one room away from my router and it starts behaving erratically.
    Last edited by malpha; 04/25/2010 at 11:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    it did the same thing with the old prl (60657 I think) and my last Pre. The updated PRL definitely does not work as well at my work but I've just kinda gotten used to that as it only really sucks when trying to AIM chat or Gchat...I'm swapping it for the last time today. If this one doesn't work I officially give up :-(
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    So this Pre doesn't do data at my house either. It does feel rock solid tho. I am almost considerng keeping it despite a blotch on the screen where I guess they put the usb adapter on too tight so it is pushing the lcd too tight against the plastic touch screen. Any Pre experts care to chime in with anything else that can possibly be done to make a stubborn Pre work at one's home? I honestly don't want to have to get a non WebOS phone (Hero probably) but I have tried soooo hard to make this work to no avail.
    So after getting NO HELP (and even less sympathy) from Sprint Customer Service over the last six weeks, I have jumped to the Verizon Palm Pre Plus. I've only had it for 24 hours, so I can't judge the call quality and data connection in my house yet, but it doesn't seem to be up to snuff either.

To Repeat: Everything worked fine with my Pre until early April. I am beginning to wonder if something external to my house (like a neighbor's wifi or something else random) could be interrupting my Pre radio. I know, maybe I should make a tin foil hat.

but seriously, what could be going on?

My wife's iPhone appears unaffected, but I'm certainly not switching to one of those. ;-) ... Pre on AT&T next week?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have had very similar results lately with Sprint. I never had a problem with data but now I do. I can't figure it out either. I think it's been the last few updates that this has happen.
    Have you tried doing a Network Update in the phone settings? My data wasn't working the other day, so I figured it'd come back on after I put Airplane Mode on for a short time. When I put the phone back on, the EVDO signal was completely missing. So, I did Network Update and then my EVDO came back and has been working just fine. (I also did a PRL update after that, since they're on the same page so I might as well.)

To the person who asked if Sprint can push a PRL update to your phone, I've gotten a PRL update without my checking for it (I was using the phone and all of a sudden the update PRL screen came on and updated the PRL) - I believe this was Sprint pushing a PRL to my phone (yes, without my asking for it).
    Have you tried doing a Network Update in the phone settings? My data wasn't working the other day, so I figured it'd come back on after I put Airplane Mode on for a short time. When I put the phone back on, the EVDO signal was completely missing. So, I did Network Update and then my EVDO came back and has been working just fine. (I also did a PRL update after that, since they're on the same page so I might as well.)

To the person who asked if Sprint can push a PRL update to your phone, I've gotten a PRL update without my checking for it (I was using the phone and all of a sudden the update PRL screen came on and updated the PRL) - I believe this was Sprint pushing a PRL to my phone (yes, without my asking for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Yes, I've tried many PRL and network updates.

My favorite part of the whole process was the Sprint Tech who REPEATEDLY tried to get me to do device tests and updates via the Windows "Start" menu on the Today screen. I kept telling her I had something called "WebOS," perhaps she should read up on it. Hysterical.

While my new Verizon phone seems to be suffering from similar troubles, I still can't really let Sprint off the hook for the lousy customer service.
    LOL about the tech trying to get you to go to the "Start" menu!!!