1.    #1  
    In hindsight, we all know it was a terrible idea for Palm to give Sprint exclusive rights to the Pre on its initial launch. However, I really thought the Verizon launch would help get things back on track...or headed in that direction. I know there's been a lot of discussion on why the Verizon launch hasn't been as much of a success as the hoped (poor training, Droid launch, etc), but I still thought the quality of the device would win out. Not so.

What will the AT&T launch do for Palm's fortunes, if anything? I love my Pre Plus and feel like Palm is really getting a raw deal. Despite being the iPhone's equal in many respects and being a superior device in other respects, it would appear that Palm is nearly doomed to be crushed the over-hyped iPhone juggernaut.
    Sprint did just fine with the launch of the Pre, Palm is the one who messed up.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I think the carriers get too much blame on Palms failure. The commercials weren't nearly as bad as people remember and compared to the droid then the Pre ads got tons more media attention yet lower sales. Pre has been seen on many tv shows, had an insane amount of buzz and was the flagship phone for Sprint. so if people didnt buy into the Pre then its because they simply didn't want it. And many palm users feel that poor hardware quality and buggy software are legit reasons to pass up a promising, but underwhelming, first try by Palm.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by brickz187 View Post
    Sprint did just fine with the launch of the Pre, Palm is the one who messed up.
    I'm not attributing blame to either Sprint or Palm. It just wasn't a good idea, for various reasons.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Palm bet the farm on synergy and cards, abandoning it's traditional user base (PIM,tasks, memos anyone?). I bought a treo pro initially as a holdover device till the pre was released only to be disappointed that the calendar functionality was inferior to my current device. No epocrates at launch was also a deal killer for me.
    Palm stopped supporting the treo pro soon after launch so I'm not going to make the same mistake with the pre or whatever their next phone is until the takeover company shows that they will invest in webos going forward.

This all looks eerily similar to BeOS that Palm bought out. This PC OS had great product features in the 90's that OSX and Windows 7 can't match today (run 20 windows of real video on 1990's hardware simultaneously without a hiccup and multithreading throughout the OS, system updates without rebooting). It proves back then and now that a good OS doesn't necessarily lead to market success. Palm underestimated the resurgence of Android and the resilience of the iPhone and will suffer a similar fate to BeOS.
    Releasing on Sprint wasn't the problem. It was the length of the exclusive. Of course, Palm might not have had much choice here--Sprint might have simply required it. And it's a stretch to assume that Verizon and AT&T would have treated Palm any better.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    In hindsight, we all know it was a terrible idea for Palm to give Sprint exclusive rights to the Pre on its initial launch...
    No we don't.

Or at least, I don't.

What were Palm's options. Was anyone else willing to take them on? Which companies do you know of that were willing to commit to taking on Palm's new offering?

They may have been out there, but my point is we don't know. So we really don't know if that exclusivity was a bad thing. If the only other option was no one taking them on, then it was a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    As for the Verizon launch, the Pre ran smack into the Droid. Verizon tried to carve out a mommy niche for the Pre but that obviously wasn't a good fit off such a high-maintenance phone. What mommy wants to deal with patches and fixes and hardware failures.
    That's kind of a ridiculous statement. High maintenance? Not if you keep it stock. Not at ALL if you keep it stock. It's a very easy phone to use if you use it as Palm intended.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer