Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    So I was just fooling around with my phone and went into device info-preferences-tests-interactive tests-audio-phone-start. The second menu that comes has a recorder on it. Now why can't we have an app for this?

Update: I think messing with this messed up my speaker because i could hear like 10% of the volume. luckily a restart fixed the problemo.
    Last edited by double1; 04/15/2010 at 03:43 AM.
    I was just thinking about this earlier. I would like an app to record voice.
    Maybe if some our AWESOME Devs can look into the files, we could get a homebrew app going??

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    yeah, I mean its already on the device. If someone could tap into it. The phone needs a recorder
    that is a great idea

recorder would be nice.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    This does record your voice and you can play it back but the volume is low and the recording can't be saved. Can it be hacked(brewed) so that at least we could save what we record? Hope so
    it works great, the sound played is not from the speaker, if anyone needs the code here it is
    audioTelephone-assistant.js - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

the file is saved to /var/tmp/recordTestFile.wav

var request = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.audio/media', {
    method: 'enableScenario',
    parameters: { "scenario":this.currentScenario },
    onSuccess: function() {
    var request2 = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.audio/media', {
    method: 'setCurrentScenario',
    parameters: { "scenario":this.currentScenario },
    onSuccess: function() {
    var request3 = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.crotest', {
    method: 'RecordSound',
    parameters: {},
    onFailure: function() {
    Logging.log(this.errorClass, "failed Mojo call: RecordSound");
    }.bind(this)
    });
    }.bind(this),
    Logging.log(this.errorClass, "failed Mojo call: setCurrentScenario");
    }.bind(this)
    });
    }.bind(this),
    Logging.log(this.errorClass, "failed Mojo call: enableScenario");
    }.bind(this)
    });
    }
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I'll be taking a peek at this. Also, Prenosticator is working on a recording app as well: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...mand-line.html
    Loved the CallRec app on my old PalmOS Treo and after almost a year the app/feature is still missing from webOS phones. Haven't figured out how such a sophisticated smartphone can be missing so many features I took without a second thought on my Treo.
    i patched my phone to hear the sound come out of the back speaker, it works but its very quiet. seems like its made to be very quiet
    actually I just tested again it's not so bad, only problem is it doesn't allow me to record to media/internal/ so I can't get the files of the phone
    This has been known for some time now. Take a look at the WebOS Internal wiki : Media API - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    This has been known for some time now. Take a look at the WebOS Internal wiki : Media API - WebOS Internals
    Yeah. I like what they say here "There is a test service that the interactive tests use to perform certain actions including recording audio. It is just a wrapper for calling other linux utilities. This is obviously not ideal, since somewhere things like the phone app must be able to access the microphone directly, but it's a start... " Media API - WebOS Internals

We need a recording app. to whoever makes this. jk

Precentral what is this? ???
    I use the voice recorder via the Classic app.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    but then i gotta wosqi again. I don't want that. I want Palmę to have all this stuff for everybody not just ssh'ers.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    but then i gotta wosqi again. I don't want that. I want Palmę to have all this stuff for everybody not just ssh'ers.
    He's right. There is really no good reason not to have such an app. Look at it this way. If I had to carry a phone, a datebook, a calendar, a GPS, etc. then life would not be good. The real beauty of the smartphone is that it does all these things and I only have to remember one device. Leaving out such an obviously important feature is surprising at best.

I am no longer convinced that there is a technical reason that they don't have this app. I think they'd rather develop games for kids than useful apps for business users - probably because they're ceding the market to RIM. Just a guess.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJude View Post
    I think they'd rather develop games for kids.
    haha...funny. But seriously though kids are the reason I like Pre anyways. It's a fantasy device that I only saw on star wars as a kid. Still no princess though although wasn't that his sister?
    Anyways, Having a smartphone for me is like having r2d2 and c3po in my pocket.
    Now if I could just find my Chewbacca mask. No lie, I lost it
    Woah, didn't know about this!
    Someone needs to make a patch to get this recorder to save to the phone.

Jason, we know you can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJude View Post
    He's right. There is really no good reason not to have such an app. Look at it this way. If I had to carry a phone, a datebook, a calendar, a GPS, etc. then life would not be good. The real beauty of the smartphone is that it does all these things and I only have to remember one device. Leaving out such an obviously important feature is surprising at best.

I am no longer convinced that there is a technical reason that they don't have this app. I think they'd rather develop games for kids than useful apps for business users - probably because they're ceding the market to RIM. Just a guess.
    Palm is not developing games, so I don't understand the statement. They have developed programming tools to allow others to develop games, but that's done.

A rep from Palm made it clear here on PreCentral that such capabilities are on their roadmap, they're just not there yet.

As far as the technical restrictions, unlike mic APIs for previous devices, this one will require that it "play nice" with other apps. A mic API would likely be extremely resource intensive. I suspect that "playing nice" with other apps is the reason for the hold up.

I also believe it's going to be coming.