Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 93
  1.    #1  
    I recall for months people were rallying around wait for the apps which was supposed to keep people interested in webos. The whole time I thougt what can of plan is that. A smartphone is only as good as it's stock features and performance. I was at a nokia kiosk today mession around with the N900(?) and man was it fast. The overall UI was basic but switching from contacts to music to calendar was snappy. No lag. That's something you'll notice about the iphone too is it's speed. Maybe it would have been better if palm would have gone the way of the nintendo and kept things simple. Has anyone checked out the ipad. Set aside all the gripes you may have about apple and their ridiculus pricing, that tablet thing is fast. It's so fast you almost forget that it lacks so many features. But you can't say the ipad doesn't know what it is. You can't say the same thing for the palm pre. I bet if there was an update to speed the pre as fast as the overclock patches some complaints would subside.
  2. jstew10's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #2  
    Speed has never been an issue for me. What's the difference if the web page loads in 9 seconds or 4 seconds? Makes no dofference to me. Just another thing that people like to complain about, completely forgeting that these phones (all of them) were non-existant 5 years ago and we were all doing just fine.

    I understand not everyone - hell, no one - feels this way. We all just want everything to be faster and faster. We want a device that cuts our food and feeds it to us. We complain when the wifi connection on the plane we're flying in goes down (thanks Lewis CK). We complain that every part of our lives isn't fully automated and that we have to get out of bed at all.

    webOS is the easiest interface I've ever seen on a smartphone. My wife picked it up right away, and I have to teach her how to use the remote for the TV. Palm has someting really special here. It's been said before but bears repeating here: advertizing is what killed the Pre, not speed, apps or the iphone.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    Speed has never been an issue for me. What's the difference if the web page loads in 9 seconds or 4 seconds? Makes no dofference to me. Just another thing that people like to complain about, completely forgeting that these phones (all of them) were non-existant 5 years ago and we were all doing just fine.

    I understand not everyone - hell, no one - feels this way. We all just want everything to be faster and faster. We want a device that cuts our food and feeds it to us. We complain when the wifi connection on the plane we're flying in goes down (thanks Lewis CK). We complain that every part of our lives isn't fully automated and that we have to get out of bed at all.

    webOS is the easiest interface I've ever seen on a smartphone. My wife picked it up right away, and I have to teach her how to use the remote for the TV. Palm has someting really special here. It's been said before but bears repeating here: advertizing is what killed the Pre, not speed, apps or the iphone.
    I have to agree with you, my wife is no way near being technically inclined but she picked up her pixi and was off and running. I didn't show her a thing. BUT, I have a need for speed. I've installed the 800mhz kernal and cpu scaler with the faster card patch and WOW what a difference. If that was standard I'm sure more people would be impressed.
  4. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #4  
    jstew, you are not the only one. My life is not so frantic that I can't wait a few seconds to get something on my phone. Also, I'm trying to break the old-fashioned habit of opening and closing apps. I try and keep my email, calendar and phone open all of the time. With multi-tasking, flipping between open apps is almost instantaneous.
  5. #5  
    I'm fine with the speed. What webOS needs is more, and more productive, apps.

    I agree with jc924, multi-tasking "speeds" up the phone. When people decide against the Pre and go with another phone, I doubt that the primary factor in their thinking is it's speed, rather it's a low number of apps making them think the phone won't be as useful as others.
  6. #6  
    An AT&T rep was recently showing me the iphone and he kept harping on how fast the iphone was compared to the Pre. I love webOS and think the single tasking limitation on the iphone is a joke but I gotta say the speed added to the "polished" presentation of the iphone. Its not that a couple seconds is a big difference 99% of the time but the snappiness of the UI defintely gives it a feel which webOS now lacks and would only make it that much more appealing.

    As an experiment try webOS with and without the 800 MHz patch. The results are amazing, in that it enhances the whole experience. Speed is its own level of quality.
    Last edited by foosball; 04/14/2010 at 09:43 PM.
  7. double1's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #7  
    I was at my local BB a week ago and saw some group gathered. I found it was the ipad. Nowhere near the feminine needs isle, I guessed, yup. So the first thing I noticed was that the resolution sucks and what's this? No webcam, ***? no Apple. Forget it, I have more features on my Pre than an ipad has. The Pre is not killed, people just don't get it yet. They think the iphone is the best because they see it in movies and music videos, and then they use it and they like it. One day they pick up a Pre and notice that it's better than their beloved iphone, but how do they tell their friends that they like the Pre? Pre's advertising was based around a stock unmodified model. Show me an advertisment of an overclocked pre tethering 2gbps downloads while listening to music and recieving text messages.
  8. #8  
    I don't know what people expect Palm to do exactly when people are comparing WebOS apps which use a scripted language to a completely compiled set of apps on those other phones.
    The only way to make things completely smooth would be to continue optimizing the javascript engine and every other part of the SDK that apps take advantage. It would depend on the app, what its doing, how it was written etc. It is part of the reason why WebOS has gotten faster every release, but I wouldn't expect it to be totally smooth and as speedy as compiled apps.
  9. #9  
    I used to work in a consultative sales capacity in Los Angeles where it wouldn't have been appropriate or efficient to be waiting around for a digital calendar to load. When the pace of business is fast and someone is standing in front of you, asking you when you're available, it's really unprofessional to be fumbling and waiting around with a slow device. It gives the potential customer the impression that YOU are slow, or that you prefer to work with a shiny toy instead of a serious business device.

    What's so unfathomable to me is that WebOS, now almost a year old, is still *nowhere near* as fast as my Sony Clie that I was using seven years ago. Palm used to be a company that made products for ambitious business people. Now they don't have a clue who their market is (soccer moms?) and are just shooting in the dark trying to hit something.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    jstew, you are not the only one. My life is not so frantic that I can't wait a few seconds to get something on my phone. Also, I'm trying to break the old-fashioned habit of opening and closing apps. I try and keep my email, calendar and phone open all of the time. With multi-tasking, flipping between open apps is almost instantaneous.
    Yeah, I don't think I should have to wait 14 seconds for Google Maps to load...

    I'm busy and important ...

    I'm glad some of you are sipping lemonade under a tree, but most of us buy phones like the Pre to get stuff done and save time...

    and ... this ... phone ... is ... ssllllloooooowwwwww...

    Enoy the lemonade.
  11. #11  
    Does all this mean that the day will come when we all have to wear a helmet because the computers and phones will be so fast. I for one would not want my eyeballs to fall out from the flashing by of screens.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  12. #12  
    pre is the first generation webos phone....just like original iphone and android G1....both those phones were kinda slow but they are in their 3rd generations...

    palm has a pass on the lag thing until the next gen comes out....
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    Speed has never been an issue for me. What's the difference if the web page loads in 9 seconds or 4 seconds? Makes no dofference to me. Just another thing that people like to complain about, completely forgeting that these phones (all of them) were non-existant 5 years ago and we were all doing just fine.

    I understand not everyone - hell, no one - feels this way. We all just want everything to be faster and faster. We want a device that cuts our food and feeds it to us. We complain when the wifi connection on the plane we're flying in goes down (thanks Lewis CK). We complain that every part of our lives isn't fully automated and that we have to get out of bed at all.

    webOS is the easiest interface I've ever seen on a smartphone. My wife picked it up right away, and I have to teach her how to use the remote for the TV. Palm has someting really special here. It's been said before but bears repeating here: advertizing is what killed the Pre, not speed, apps or the iphone.
    Very well said. Our lives are pretty cushy when we find the time to complain about such things as our smart phones.

    ET
  14. LNWJ's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    #14  
    Speed doesn't bug me... It's the features. How come I can't 'Invite Attendies' in Calendar? Simple addition that never came..
  15. #15  


    lol

    "give it a second! it's going to space!"
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I should have to wait 14 seconds for Google Maps to load...

    I'm busy and important ...

    I'm glad some of you are sipping lemonade under a tree, but most of us buy phones like the Pre to get stuff done and save time...

    and ... this ... phone ... is ... ssllllloooooowwwwww...

    Enoy the lemonade.
    agreed, it can be very embarrassing waiting 15 seconds to load google maps when you really need to find something. I've been saying this for some time. The phone is painfully slow sometimes. But the defenders will defend.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    agreed, it can be very embarrassing waiting 15 seconds to load google maps when you really need to find something. I've been saying this for some time. The phone is painfully slow sometimes. But the defenders will defend.
    Try the Yellow Pages map app. I know it's heresy not to use GM, but it's FAST, and thd Bing maps are actually prettier than GM.
  18. #18  
    The trick for me is to just leave cards open. The phone is very snappy when the card is already open. The next generation of hardware will be faster. Remember how slow Windows 3.0 was? The hardware couldn't keep up with the OS.
  19. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    I used to work in a consultative sales capacity in Los Angeles where it wouldn't have been appropriate or efficient to be waiting around for a digital calendar to load. When the pace of business is fast and someone is standing in front of you, asking you when you're available, it's really unprofessional to be fumbling and waiting around with a slow device. It gives the potential customer the impression that YOU are slow, or that you prefer to work with a shiny toy instead of a serious business device.

    What's so unfathomable to me is that WebOS, now almost a year old, is still *nowhere near* as fast as my Sony Clie that I was using seven years ago. Palm used to be a company that made products for ambitious business people. Now they don't have a clue who their market is (soccer moms?) and are just shooting in the dark trying to hit something.
    Wow, it sucks to be you! I'm a professional consultant and if my clients and colleagues judged me by how fast apps loaded on my phone, I think I'd find a new line of work. If that's your life, then I agree, you need a different phone.

    I defend the Pre because it is the best smartphone I've ever had (I've had Treos since the 300 and PDAs before that) and it does almost everything I want in a phone and does it well. If it didn't, I'd get something else.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    ...and it does almost everything I want in a phone and does it well. If it didn't, I'd get something else.
    That right there is the bottom line.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions