Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    before 1.4.1 I used to get the TMC error every day. Know I don't even remember the last time. I would guess 2 or 3 times since the latest update.

BTW - I like how my original post has turned from speed issue to a memory leak TMC thread. Getting back on topic if Palm can send an update that allows 800mhz speed more ppl would be inclined to buy a pre. Speed sells and it's sexy. Fast food, microwaves, on demand video. People are in a hurry and we can't wait for a 3min reboot or a 6 sec calendar load time.

6 seconds? I just tried opening my Calendar app and it took less than 2 seconds. I have no 800mhz patch either.

I think you should stop complaining, a couple extra seconds doesn't hurt.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    No, it's tweaking to improve performance. Every electronic device I've ever owned had some issues. Sometimes you just live with them (my DVR sometimes freezes up, my camera won't focus, my printer jams) but, if there is something available to improve the performance and minimize the issues, then I use it. Anyone who expects perfect performance from an electronic device is a fool.

That is not to say you don't have real issues with your Pre, but it is how you use it. I agree it shouldn't do it at all, but it does. So, either you live with it, try and fix it or get another phone.
    I've had my pre since launch never had to exchange it. love webos and i think the pre is a great looking phone.

unfortunately i feel like i have so many problems with it, it's always something. never anything serious enough to return it tho. for instance the general lag even with 800 mhz patch, especially when waking it up. the headset problem that comes and goes, the shaky slider, terrible music app, low storage space, random restarts. it randomly restarts about 2 or 3 times a week.

im a huge webos fan and love my pre, but there's no way im keeping it come june. definitely upgrading to evo 4g. today was the last random restart for me. it's a sad day for my pre : (

i'm just curious if any other hardcore pre lovers like me are jumping ship this summer too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    No, it's tweaking to improve performance. Every electronic device I've ever owned had some issues. Sometimes you just live with them (my DVR sometimes freezes up, my camera won't focus, my printer jams) but, if there is something available to improve the performance and minimize the issues, then I use it. Anyone who expects perfect performance from an electronic device is a fool.

That is not to say you don't have real issues with your Pre, but it is how you use it. I agree it shouldn't do it at all, but it does. So, either you live with it, try and fix it or get another phone.
    No. Again, it's fixing. Tweaking performance is enhancing the speed for example. Not being able to open an application due to memory leaks is problem, not a performance issue that needs tweaking.

And as for speed. For me, and many others a couple of seconds makes all the difference in the world. Hell, I'm dissatisfied if an app on my phone doesn't open in under 500ms.. anything over that I consider too slow.

It's all about the user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    No. Again, it's fixing. Tweaking performance is enhancing the speed for example. Not being able to open an application due to memory leaks is problem, not a performance issue that needs tweaking.

And as for speed. For me, and many others a couple of seconds makes all the difference in the world. Hell, I'm dissatisfied if an app on my phone doesn't open in under 500ms.. anything over that I consider too slow.

It's all about the user experience.
    I agree. and he will prolly be flamed for this.....but the USER experience is what counts. Apple focused on that with the iphone and look at what happened.....millions and millions of ppl use it. does the iphone lag? have their version of "too many cards" pop up randomly? no. its about making every user as happy as possible. and flame me all u want for comparing pre to the iphone. but obviously they did something right. iphone has waaaaaaaay more users than the pre.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    And for those of you that want to throw lack of marketing at Palm's/WebOS' failure, that's not the problem. Palm received all kinds of hype back in 2008 - 2009 and many of the tech blogs have extensively covered the launch and updates. It's word of mouth that sells, not an advertisement on TV.

The problem is: there's never been anything ground breaking to really boast about (don't tell me multitasking), no one is excited about the device.

Sorry to go off on a tangent and off-topic, but I felt compelled to write this as it does relate to the original topic.. speed.
    And for those of you that want to throw lack of marketing at Palm's/WebOS' failure, that's not the problem. Palm received all kinds of hype back in 2008 - 2009 and many of the tech blogs have extensively covered the launch and updates. It's word of mouth that sells, not an advertisement on TV.

The problem is: there's never been anything ground breaking to really boast about (don't tell me multitasking), no one is excited about the device.

Sorry to go off on a tangent and off-topic, but I felt compelled to write this as it does relate to the original topic.. speed.
    I agree. webos has tons of potential....but palm, instead of working on that potential, are taking their time releasing BASIC things that other phones have and more.....playing catchup isnt going to win the game
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    it is sad to say it, but even with the patch to 800 mhz it's still slow, for god sakes that a 60 percent increase.
    Sadly enough, I agree with you. I have the 800mhz patch and still feel the UI needs pick up the speed. I wonder if its possible for someone to come up with a patch that would keep a few selected apps open in the background so that it can be launched quickly. Real life example: when you keep the dialer open as a card, then relaunch it, the dialer pad pops up instantaneously. I honestly use a handful of apps and would love for them to launch quickly in a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by mexclean View Post
    it is sad to say it, but even with the patch to 800 mhz it's still slow, for god sakes that a 60 percent increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    I agree. and he will prolly be flamed for this.....but the USER experience is what counts. Apple focused on that with the iphone and look at what happened.....millions and millions of ppl use it. does the iphone lag? have their version of "too many cards" pop up randomly? no. its about making every user as happy as possible. and flame me all u want for comparing pre to the iphone. but obviously they did something right. iphone has waaaaaaaay more users than the pre.
    Indeed.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Just a lurker here trying to insert some thoughts into this circus.

There are many things I like about the Pre, including the real keyboard, gesture area, and form factor. I think webOS is a very beautiful and intuitive operating system and I love how easy it is tweak. I've been fortunate to not have had any major hardware problems and am on my launch day model.

The problem with the Pre is both it's speed and the inconsistency of it's speed. For the record I'm using both the 800 patch and the transitions speed up patch. Yet I never feel totally AT EASE with this phone because of the inconsistent lagginess. Sometimes it will take a split second to start an app and sometimes it will take 5 seconds. Sometimes it will instantly transition back from an sms convo to the list of conversations and sometimes it will take 4 times as long. Sometimes universal search quickly calls up my entry and sometimes it takes quite a while. Yes I want the fastest experience possible but I wonder if I would feel better if it was at least PREDICTABLY slow. It is for this reason that I am considering moving on to another phone when I am eligible this June. I don't use my phone for any crucial tasks, but I still demand for myself an experience that is smoother and more comfortable and other brands do seem to offer that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sookibong View Post
    The problem with the Pre is both it's speed and the inconsistency of it's speed...
    Unfortunately, that's the nature of device that does multi-tasking.

At the risk of drawing the ire of some tech-speak geeks out there, basically speaking a single-CPU device (like the Pre) cannot truly do multiple things at once. It can do multiple things one at a time so fast that it appears to be doing two things at once. That's what we have (again, simply speaking) with the Pre's multi-tasking.

That said, some things that are being done "so quickly they appear to be doing them at the same time" take longer than others. That's what's causig your lag.

I see it frequently when I'm doing something, and I get a Twitter or eMail update (ironically, I really don't think it's the update itself that causes the lag, but rather the audio notification, but that's just a theory).

You can demonstrate this for yourself by going to a web site (while doing nothing else) and browse around a bit (this web site would do fine). Then dismiss the card, run a music player (Pandora or the MP3 player either one), and go to the same web site, and browse the same way.

I feel that Palm will likey improve this type of lag on their audio functions, and I'm willing to bet they are going to on some of their graphics function (I don't gamble, so when I say I'm willing to bet, that means it's just about a sure thing).

All that said though, things like this really become a trade off. Is the ability to have the type of multi-tasking we see on the Pre worth the occasional lag, or not? Different folks will have different answers. Some will demand that we have the both the multitasking and no lag ever, but I don't think they're going to be as "successful" with those demands as those who understand the problems, and make a rational decision on what they can choose now.
    I laugh at the fact that there are tools/applications period to help 'rectify' these issues. The problem(s) have escalated to the point to where an application has been created to automatically restart your phone on a nightly basis?

If you were to tell that to someone on any other device they'd look at you with a "why" face!
    I worked at a hospital that used MS Windows' built in OS tool to automatically reboot their Windows MetaFrame farm every night at 4am.

In reality, rebooting a device on a schedule is a pretty common "solution" for memory related issues in the IT world. There's even a slew of jokes about help desk techs first question being "Have you tried rebooting".
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345