Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 93
  1. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #41  
    I'd have to agree. I judge the speed (right or wrong) of a smartphone on how fast it opens apps and can switch between apps. Keep in mind I'm not talking about loading web pages or maps.

    While I love the way webOS switches between apps, the lag in opening apps is still sub-par. I can't tell you how many times I've double tapped the phone app thinking I didn't tap it the first time only to have the app play catch up. Also simple things like accessing the device info app or tasks app,...etc (you get the idea) take much too long.

    I know I'm happy with a smartphone if I don't notice the lag and I'm more concerned with the task at hand.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    no, i'll ***** about both, but thanks for the suggestion
    Who knew that having your cake and eating it too could be so bitter?
  3. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #43  
    The whole point of what makes the Pre different from the other phones is multi-tasking. If you are not taking advantage of multi-tasking by keeping your most commonly used apps open and switching between them, then you are not using the Pre to its advantage. I hear about the TMC problem, but I have not had that problem. I try to have email, agenda and calendar open all the time (I am still trying to break the habit of closing them when I'm done) and open two or three web pages and don't get TMC. I don't keep the phone app open because, on my phone, when I press the phone icon it comes up right away.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Who knew that having your cake and eating it too could be so bitter?
    don't let me get you so worked up, go cool off now.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    If you are not taking advantage of multi-tasking by keeping your most commonly used apps open and switching between them, then you are not using the Pre to its advantage.
    That is a great quote. Could be a signature line.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    The whole point of what makes the Pre different from the other phones is multi-tasking. If you are not taking advantage of multi-tasking by keeping your most commonly used apps open and switching between them, then you are not using the Pre to its advantage. I hear about the TMC problem, but I have not had that problem. I try to have email, agenda and calendar open all the time (I am still trying to break the habit of closing them when I'm done) and open two or three web pages and don't get TMC. I don't keep the phone app open because, on my phone, when I press the phone icon it comes up right away.
    And there's the problem. The user experience differs depending on Pre. It's the ultimate YMMV phone.

    And that's as big a problem as the comparative lack of speed. Lots of people (myself included) are plagued with "Too Many cards" issues. Lots of people aren't. JStop helps somewhat, but doesn't fix it. Nothing does. Lots of people have build quality issues and are on the refurb carousel. Lots are on their launch day Pre. Etc., etc.

    So the key to having an ideal WebOS experience is...to be lucky. That's really, really, really not a good thing.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    That is a great quote. Could be a signature line.
    "If you are not taking advantage of multi-tasking by keeping your most commonly used apps open and switching between them, then you are not using the Pre to its advantage...or you are getting the TMC error and are SOL."

    Now it's more accurate.
  8. mapenn's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #48  
    I'm not complaining, but the speed issue is a legitimate concern. I think for me, it is the frustration of trying to make a phone call. Of course, I am comparing to my Treo650 where I could press the big green phone button and start typing a phone number. On my Pre, I find myself getting frustrated by the lag time or latency of when I press the on-screen icons (and dial pad numbers) and when they actually register on the Pre. I've not used an iPod or Android, so really don't have anything to compare to other than my old Treo.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    "If you are not taking advantage of multi-tasking by keeping your most commonly used apps open and switching between them, then you are not using the Pre to its advantage...or you are getting the TMC error and are SOL."

    Now it's more accurate.
    Right so 99% of the time it'll work. Pretty much like the rest of life where things are never guaranteed.

    Don't get me wrong though, its an annoyance we all could do without.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I do, google maps is now on my last page, if i could delete it i would
    I haven't been able to figure out how to tell the YP maps app to go to a specific address. It appears to be only able to look up businesses. If I want to put in the address of a residence, it doesn't take it.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Right so 99% of the time it'll work. Pretty much like the rest of life where things are never guaranteed.

    Don't get me wrong though, its an annoyance we all could do without.
    It's not "just" an error. It's an error that forces you to stop EVERYTHING you are doing to memory troubleshoot. Maybe running JStop will allow you to continue. Sometimes it doesn't. As I said, there's no rhyme or reason other than being lucky or not. Then you have to restart the phone, which is at least two minutes more of downtime.

    If you're expecting a call or in the middle of a heavy IM or Gtalk conversation, that's two minutes you can scarcely afford to lose.

    And it's inexcusable, really. The phone is sold as a fixed configuration of hardware, so the OS should work ideally with it from day one, especially since Palm design and made everything. 256MB of RAM isn't enough memory for WebOS to work reliably for enough people. That's why Palm added more to the "plus" versions. That doesn't make the phone faster. It just makes the multitasking work as it should at all times.
  12. #52  
    Ppl never get TMC on d +?
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If you're expecting a call or in the middle of a heavy IM or Gtalk conversation, that's two minutes you can scarcely afford to lose.
    Yeah I just forced the TMC error by opening up 15 cards and a 3D game. Guess what? The calls still got through.Get your facts straight.

    Like I said its an annoyance....the only thing that's inexcusable around here are your posts.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Yeah I just forced the TMC error by opening up 15 cards and a 3D game. Guess what? The calls still got through.Get your facts straight.
    Get your reading comprehension straight. The sentence preceding me talking about losing two minutes quite clearly states doing so DUE TO A REBOOT.

    If your phone can answer calls while it's booting up, you must have one of them fancy, newfangled Pre +++++++ handsets.

    Go play somewhere, sonny.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I do, google maps is now on my last page, if i could delete it i would
    You can.
    1. Get root access
    2. Install the IPKG tools
    3. Type "/usr/bin/ipkg -remove com.palm.app.maps"
    4. Be Happy
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Get your reading comprehension straight. The sentence preceding me talking about losing two minutes quite clearly states doing so DUE TO A REBOOT.

    If your phone can answer calls while it's booting up, you must have one of them fancy, newfangled Pre +++++++ handsets.

    Go play somewhere, sonny.
    Thanks bub. If I ever need a lecture on grammar I'll make sure to ask the guy who composed the phrase "the sentence preceding me".

    More to the point, TMC does not prevent you from receiving calls. Nor does it prevent IM'g when you are already in conversation. If you are going to argue its more than an annoyance then try not to fall all over yourself explaining somebody else's post.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Thanks bub. If I ever need a lecture on grammar I'll make sure to ask the guy who composed the phrase "the sentence preceding me".

    More to the point, TMC does not prevent you from receiving calls. Nor does it prevent IM'g when you are already in conversation. If you are going to argue its more than an annoyance then try not to fall all over yourself explaining somebody else's post.
    TMC is more than an annoyance, it's an inexcusable defect. TMC prevents you from opening any app short of SMS and Phone and some others.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Thanks bub. If I ever need a lecture on grammar I'll make sure to ask the guy who composed the phrase "the sentence preceding me".

    More to the point, TMC does not prevent you from receiving calls. Nor does it prevent IM'g when you are already in conversation. If you are going to argue its more than an annoyance then try not to fall all over yourself explaining somebody else's post.
    What on earth are you babbling about? My toddler could understand this quicker than you.

    1. You get a TMC error.
    2. SOMETIMES, no amount of Jstop or swiping cards away will allow you to open a new card.
    3. You have to restart.
    4. During that two minutes, you can't do jack squat.

    Do I have to try picture cards next? Maybe you need a Pre built by LeapFrog...
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    TMC is more than an annoyance, it's an inexcusable defect. TMC prevents you from opening any app short of SMS and Phone and some others.
    Obviously, we won't ever agree on this.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    1. You get a TMC error.
    2. SOMETIMES, no amount of Jstop or swiping cards away will allow you to open a new card.
    3. You have to restart.
    4. During that two minutes, you can't do jack squat.
    #3 is a variable which is user dependent. Its not necessary to restart every time. Certainly if I needed to make a call I wouldn't reboot. Regardless, these exercises in hypotheticals where you supposedly have to shut down are beginning to strain credulity.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions