Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently had the chance to use an iPhone and while I love my Pre, the iPhone's touchscreen responsiveness is AMAZING. And I don't think it's actually the screen that makes the difference - it's the software (see the tests done by moto where the Pre does well).

When I scroll something on the iPhone, it reacts as though my finger is actually sliding a real object - perfectly. No lag at ALL. I can move my finger up/down/up/down quickly and it's perfect. On the Pre, there's a lag. I am convinced it's in the software though (otherwise, the 3D games wouldn't work as well as they do), so this CAN be fixed.
    It's a mixture of CPU rather than GPU accelerated visuals and a required drag distance before recognition implementation.

As far as the Pre's touchscreen goes, I've never noticed it being unresponsive.
    Last edited by alex.dobeck; 04/14/2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's a mixture of CPU rather than GPU accelerated visuals and a required drag distance before recognition implementation.

As far as the touchscreen goes, I've really noticed it being unresponsive.
    IT being the Pre or IT being the iPhone? (Just trying to clarify)
    ooc did you patch to 800? you may want to check that out if not..quite impressive. fwiw i saw someone with an iphone showing us pictures and hte picture instantly changed to the next on swipe but it was grainy...then it took a few seconds (painful seconds) for each pic to reach real resolution... I nearly mocked him but it wasnt the place or time..
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    IT being the Pre or IT being the iPhone? (Just trying to clarify)
    haha, completely messed up what I was trying to say, should be what I meant now.
    I think the Pre has a 10px resistance before it registers something is happening. I think its whats causing a couple devs to go crazy when dealing with sliders and what not.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Dude.
    It's the hardware.

With 800 mhz overclock, the responsiveness is there.
    You'll see the Pre shine in all its usage.
    Iphone just has a better touch screen. More sensitive and precise with light or hard touch. the glass is nice too.

abbodabbodo... an iphone, iphone 3g, or 3gs? makes a HUGE difference... still all better touchscreens though heh.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I have the 800 patch and was in the apple store the other day. The iphone is still more responsive. Not that the Pre's response time is hindering or bad, its just not as fluid as the iphone. As the OP said it feels like the screen moves more to my fingers movement as opposed to a response to a swipe as the Pre does.
    I agree, after using my itouch and a friends iphone, the pre's touch sensitivity and accuracy seem abysmal when compared to an iphone. On it's own it's acceptable, barely
    I've also noticed the same. I never had a "problem" with my Pre, however when I was using a friends iPhone I noticed the screen responsiveness was absolutely fantastic.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I really wish we could find a way to change the drag radius (or whatever the distance you have to move before it counts as a drag) to something like 5 pixels instead of the 25 I think it's set at now. That would help make it feel more responsive.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I agree the pre's touchscreen is the second best one I've ever seen. I'm just wondering what exactly makes the iphones touchscreen so precise and fluid
    Apple Sauce.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I dont know what iphone it was... it amused me tho.. while he was taking still photos i was shootin decent vid.. didnt want to get into it at the time.

fwiw I posted an article that was a pretty legit robot test of the screens and the pre scored very high.
    There's been quite a bit of discussion in other threads about why the Pre has so much "lag". I think it's partly because of multitasking (the Pre is more like a real computer where the iPhone is more like a media/music player), and partly because of the interpreted HTML/CSS/Javascript code (which lets you do things like patches but also makes things slower).

So IMO it's a tradeoff. The iPhone will be more responsive, but the Pre allows more freedom. Theoretically that gap will narrow as the hardware gets better ... assuming webOS lasts that long .
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    I dont know what iphone it was... it amused me tho.. while he was taking still photos i was shootin decent vid.. didnt want to get into it at the time.

fwiw I posted an article that was a pretty legit robot test of the screens and the pre scored very high.
    Only in heavier pressure testing. It's good just not magic floaty future good.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I think the actual touch screen and glass make a difference, also I think apple has a patent on their touch screen technology
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    There's been quite a bit of discussion in other threads about why the Pre has so much "lag". I think it's partly because of multitasking (the Pre is more like a real computer where the iPhone is more like a media/music player), and partly because of the interpreted HTML/CSS/Javascript code (which lets you do things like patches but also makes things slower).

So IMO it's a tradeoff. The iPhone will be more responsive, but the Pre allows more freedom. Theoretically that gap will narrow as the hardware gets better ... assuming webOS lasts that long .
    I think once we get to that point of hardware being enough power to handle webOS it will come down to things like framerates in games like it is for computers. I only wish Palm would just PDK the core apps and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Dude.
    It's the hardware.

With 800 mhz overclock, the responsiveness is there.
    You'll see the Pre shine in all its usage.
    You should not have to push the CPU to its limits just to get decent responsiveness. And even when I had that patch running, it was not nearly as responsive as the iPhone. I removed the patch because a 40% overclock is not safe no matter what the temperature is, or what anyone says. I don't have $500 to blow on another phone if I fry this one, and even if I did, I would not get another Pre. The Pre is running on identical hardware as the iPhone, but while the iPhone utilizes all of it's hardware, the pre does not use GPU acceleration of the UI. At least not yet. So what we have is a 500 Mhz CPU that is tasked with not only running multiple applications at the same time but also with performing all of the visual animations that are built into WebOS. One, the CPU is pretty taxed even running one app, and two, the GPU is much better designed to handle visual effects. What we have in this phone is analogous to a 4-cyl truck pulling a 7,000 lbs boat. Yes, it's technically possible, but you're not going to be happy. Until all of the phone's hardware is properly utilized, it will always lag. But now, with rumors of sale, we may be stuck with this unfinished phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast