1.    #1  
    I am a complete Newbie with the Pre and don't fully understand some of the calendar's functionality.

I use Outlook Calendar on my pc to manage my daily activities (and my families). Is there an easy/efficient way to sync my Pre calendar with my Outlook?

Also, on my blackberry I could recieve appointments from others and accept them (through the email) and the appointments would be placed on my BB's calendar. So far, I have not seen the ability to accept an appointment emailed to me on my Pre. Am I missing something or does this functionality not exist.

Lastly, when creating an appointment in my Pre Calendar, I do not see how to invite others? Again, am I missing something or does this functionality not exist.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Are you using Outlook with an Exchange server, or just a standalone Outlook program, like Express? I have Outlook running on Exchange through my job, and there's no "sync" needed, per se. I believe updates are pushed through as they are made, so you're effectively working on the same document from a different location. I may have the nuts and bolts of the functionality wrong, but the end result is it's seamless whether I make a change from the computer or the pre, it updates the other. I'm afraid I don't know about using Outlook without an Exchange server.

Same with invitations sent to me from someone else.. I am able to accept invitations, I get them for meetings all the time from other Exchange users and it works great.

Sending invitations is another matter.. this is not yet implemented, and is one of the gaping holes that still remains in this otherwise awesome interface. A common gripe is not being able to invite others from the Pre, you are not alone with this.

My main gripe was the overall slowness of the calendar, particularly with outlook, to the point of me wanting to give up on the Pre. But in all honesty the 800mhz kernel has solved this for me, the calendar is fast enough to use for business now.
    Neve, how did you initially 'sync' your Outlook calendar with your Pre calendar? Does your company have an external Exchange iMap or something? Thanks.
    I use Google Calendar Sync to sync my Outlook Calendar to my Google Calendar. Then I sync my Google Calendar to my Pre. It works great and is completely automated. Any updates on any calendar are pushed out to the other ones within a few minutes.
    Thanks Knee...I did see that while browsing the forum, but I'm a bit concerned with security on the Google side. If I have company confidential data going up there, will it be safe (I'm not so sure Google's calendar is encrypted)?
    I'm not really sure how safe you are as far as that goes. I only use it for personal stuff so I've never really worried about it too much.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    My company uses Exchange Server for email/calendar. We use Outlook as the client to access the server at work. We also have external access through a web interface.

I also use outlook at home as a client to access my email accounts (hotmail, gmail [imap], and pop3 accounts)

Now, I access my work email on my Pre, which also gives me access to my calendar, by accessing the exchange server. Each of my personal accounts are individually accessed as required (imap, pop3, etc). Only my work EAS account has a direct calendar interface.

You can use outlook calendar (personal) and use google "sync" to sync it to a gmail account to access on your Pre. I just synced this one time and now keep my calendar on google; to heck with outlook.

I would never, ever, sync my work EAS server information to an outside system (google in this case).

Thus your questions:

I am a complete Newbie with the Pre and don't fully understand some of the calendar's functionality.

I use Outlook Calendar on my pc to manage my daily activities (and my families). Is there an easy/efficient way to sync my Pre calendar with my Outlook? Open a gmail account with calendar and use google sync tool to syncronize the two. You can then access your calendar on your pre thru your new gmail calendar account. I recommend just moving to gmail calendar as the web interface is very easy.

Also, on my blackberry I could recieve appointments from others and accept them (through the email) and the appointments would be placed on my BB's calendar. So far, I have not seen the ability to accept an appointment emailed to me on my Pre. Am I missing something or does this functionality not exist. Depends on how you have your calendar(s) set up. I cannot answer this based on the information. What email system? It must be compatible with your calendar system.

Lastly, when creating an appointment in my Pre Calendar, I do not see how to invite others? Again, am I missing something or does this functionality not exist. The functionality does not exist. A current common complaint that you cannot initiate a "meeting" on your pre.

Good luck
    Dan
    Man, I wish there was just a simple local sycn program for my Outlook Exchange calendar like Activesync...
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vortmax View Post
    Man, I wish there was just a simple local sycn program for my Outlook Exchange calendar like Activesync...
    Chapura Pocket Mirror works well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Chapura Pocket Mirror works well for me.
    Unfortunately I can't use that because it requires an internet connection and I can't put a proxy address in the Pre...