1.    #1  
    I enjoy mountain biking and always used my old Sony-Ericsson walkman phone as my mp3 player during my rides. But my new Pre would be great at doing that, plus it has an awesome outdoor-use camera. It really would be fun to take the Pre along on my biking but I'm afraid it couldn't really stand up to much abuse. (My rides aren't exactly leisurely...)

So I'm wondering if anybody here takes their Pres mountain biking, or if it's just a flat-out terrible idea?
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    It's a bad idea, what if you fell?

I take an old Creative Zen with me whenever I'm doing something dangerous that could result in a broken phone, and an old beater phone.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I take mine with me. I use a camelbak phone holder. Fell hard a few times. Phone still good... I also have a protection plan if thigs get real bad.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm actually in Chicago as well and ride the lakefront path quite often and never leave without my pre. Before that I used to use my Ipod, but either way I'd put it in a pocket that has a zipper so it doesn't slip out while riding.

Speaking of - I need to fill up some air in my tires and get back out there again, summer time is almost here!
    i take mine riding, i put mine in a backpack an just run the headphones out of the backpack, or put it in the little phone puch thats on most backpacks
    I put my pre in my backpack and use the Plantronics bluetooth stereo backbeat headset under my helmet.

I don't sweat too much when I bike so they don't get wet, but I have heard that if you sweat a lot, wireless headsets are not a way to go.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I took mine for casual riding. If you want to document your routes i strongly recommend smartrunner. It does wonders and GPS tracks really well. I just got a small backpack and put my pre in it that way. If you actually want to use it for music as well, then u need to take it out obviously. Just make sure to protect it!
    I take my pre on bike-rides sometimes. I have a kiddie cart attached to the back and my pre stays in there wrapped up in soft comfy blankets!!!
    I thought about this but I think all the bouncing would be VERY bad for the Pre which has shoddy hardware. Too bad.
    I don't mountain bike, so I won't harp on the use of headphones while cycling (I'd imagine the risk of being hit by a car on a single-track trail is pretty small). Let's just say that I never use headphones while riding, yes?

I road bike quite a lot, and I typically stuff my phone into a plastic baggy, and then stuff that into one of my jersey pockets. I've taken a spill a couple times, but I've never come down on my back (always my front or side) - so my Pre has never been damaged. It even nicely survived the fall that gave me the road rash in the attached pic.

I take mine, but I don't mountain bike. I use this little pouch carrier that wraps around my arm.
    I ride a road bike a lot and put my phone in a sandwich bag and put it in my jersey pocket.

I would think putting your phone in a saddle bag would be really safe.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro77 View Post
    I don't mountain bike, so I won't harp on the use of headphones while cycling (I'd imagine the risk of being hit by a car on a single-track trail is pretty small). Let's just say that I never use headphones while riding, yes?

I road bike quite a lot, and I typically stuff my phone into a plastic baggy, and then stuff that into one of my jersey pockets. I've taken a spill a couple times, but I've never come down on my back (always my front or side) - so my Pre has never been damaged. It even nicely survived the fall that gave me the road rash in the attached pic.

Ouch! Man that looks rough!!! Anyway, yeah, I only bike on trails, and if I were to go on the road I definitely wouldn't wear headphones...

Also, thanks everyone for the replies! I think I'll stick with my old Sony dumbphone for music playing. I'd still like to take the Pre for it's camera functionality, so we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll start bringing a backpack or something.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS