Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I promise I searched for this and could not find a thread about it... if there is one, I missed it.

What are the "Must Have" apps, patches, tweaks & Homebrew?
    It's all relative, but one I can't live without is the 4x4 v3 patch. To me the default launcher is just so... ugly Everything else I could live without but anytime I doctor that's the first thing I add back.
    All the ones I have.

4x4 v3
    Launcher Black theme
    Mode Switcher, w/ mode menu
    No icon titles
    Named pages in Launcher
    Charge only as default
    800 MHz kernel
    Uberscaler
    jStop
    Device temp warnings
    Multimod
    Slider blocks orientation change
    Unhide Dev mode

Plus the EVDO tweaks . . .

PERFECT PHONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    It's all relative, but one I can't live without is the 4x4 v3 patch. To me the default launcher is just so... ugly Everything else I could live without but anytime I doctor that's the first thing I add back.
    The first patch I always go for is battery percent and icon. I like to see at a glance if my phone needs charging.
    Well, what I consider essential:

Advanced Reset Options - Has Luna restart, Airplane mode, device restart and shutdown from the power button menu, bypasses confirmation dialogs.

Close Slider to End Calls Except Headset - I assumed closing the slider would end calls from the start and was annoyed when I found it didn't.

Delete From Notification - Goodbye mailing list/advertisement spam.

Device Menu Megamix - Brightness control, radio shutoff, gps toggle, and flashlight from the menu. Plus removes the Airplane mode button I kept accidentally hitting.

Disable Landscape Gesture Scroll - Scrolling on the actual screen is easy, so I have no idea why Palm decided to irritatingly change the back gesture functionality in the web whenever you put it in landscape mode.

Notification Repeat - For calendars. Needed for the absent-minded who are busy when their calendar notification goes off and then forgets that it beeped.

Really Silent Ringer Swith Mute - Because apparently for Palm mute means still some sounds....

Add/Remove Launcher Pages - In conjunction with Named Pages is awesome. I had to remove Named Pages to be compatible with this theme I'm using though (Remastered II).

I also have the 600mhz patch. The 720 was killing my 2600 battery, so I never tried the 800mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The first patch I always go for is battery percent and icon. I like to see at a glance if my phone needs charging.
    I use that one too, there are a lot I use and enjoy but like I said 4x4 v3 is always the first
    I'm pretty partial to:

Browser Multi Mod
    Raise Image Resolution Limit
    No Auto Refresh after Idle
    GestureClick Context Menu
    Gesture Tap for info and Delete
    Enable landscape view in PDF
    (not yet in Preware) Faster Card animations

As far as must have apps I'll say:

Express News
    Engadget
    The Weather Channel
    Twee
    Facebook (beta)
    Modern Combat
    NOVA
    Absolute Fitness
    Jstop
    Luna Manager (Though not really necessary since Preware can do the same thing now) Battery Monitor
    The most absolutely must-have patch for everyone?

Mega Mix.

It makes the Pre web browsing experience massively better. Anyone not using it already needs to give it a try. Fullscreen browsing ia -so- much better then losing all that screen real-estate to black bars on the top and bottom.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

Mega Mix.

It makes the Pre web browsing experience massively better. Anyone not using it already needs to give it a try. Fullscreen browsing ia -so- much better then losing all that screen real-estate to black bars on the top and bottom.
    Could you post a link?
    Or a screenshot?
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    Could you post a link?
    No need for a link, it's in Preware with a screenshot
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

Mega Mix.

Uh, aren't this one and MultiMod the ones that screw up everyone's Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Uh, aren't this one and MultiMod the ones that screw up everyone's Pre?
    No, I think you're quite confused. Personally I don't like the full screen browser, the transition when scrolling to the top of the page is jittery and makes it "stick" for a second. I've been using Multi Mod since it came out and I love it. Allows me to download things in my browser, with that plus Internalz I can download files and move them to whatever folder I want without having to be hooked up to a PC. Also works to download streaming content which is nice.
    I use the 4x4 V3 patch too. It's always the first patch I reinstall after Doctoring. The default launcher isn't ugly, there is just alot of wasted space IMO.
    Yeah, mega mix is inside preware. I cant recommend it enough though, try web browsing without it then put it on and try again.

I like the dissappearing top and bottom bar, and you still have the url bar by scrolling to the top... Never had any lag issues with it, it just works as far as I'm concerned.

You gain a considerable amount of additional screen real-estate (no more rounded edges on web pages and you get rid of the top and bottom bars). It's worth a try.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Here's what I use:

4X4 Icons v3
    Ad Blocker
    Add Date - MM/DD
    Battery Icon as Percent
    Default to Week View
    Device Temperature Warnings
    Enable Hidden Clock
    Enable Landscape Email
    Enable Landscape PDF Viewer
    Enter Key for New Line
    Hide Musicplayer App
    Hide NASCAR App
    Improved Filename Format
    Improved Photo Naming PRE
    Just Charge By Default
    Launcher Page Selection Tabs
    Match State to Area Code
    Show App Details
    Timestamps - Fancy
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    damn i have 58 patches installed...to many to list.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
  17.    #17  
    Jeesh.... I think my head is going to explode!!!!!!!

You guys have walked me through a WHOLE A WHOLE NEW UNIVERSE! I had no idea about this Homebrew stuff... WOW!!!!!!!!!

One question though, being a new Pre owner... can any of the applications do any harm? Is there a way to "start over" if I needed to? Like a HARD RESET or something? Of course with WebOS I would imagine I wouldn't lose any contacts or anything because it's all back up right?
    not really any dangerous apps, and most patches you find in preware should be safe, that said it's pretty much a use at your own risk. One of the great things about webOS is if anything goes haywire you can run webOS Doctor and take your Pre/Pixi back to a factory fresh state.
    not really any dangerous apps, and most patches you find in preware should be safe, that said it's pretty much a use at your own risk. One of the great things about webOS is if anything goes haywire you can run webOS Doctor and take your Pre/Pixi back to a factory fresh state.
    Assuming WebOS Doctor works.....
    Had some patching issues around the v1.3.5 upgrade. Had to manually remove a patch using WebOSQI. Good thing that worked because I had already tried to Doctor my Pre 3 times and it wouldn't do anything. It would see my Pre tell me that it was working...then it would just stay on that for hours and hours, but never really do anything.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Flashlight in device menu is a life-saver at night and probably most used. seriously. And brightness in device menu. The only one that isn't really a shortcut that I use is Hold Chat to Launch New Card. I guess that means the sunnyvale devs are pretty good.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast