Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There was kind of a thread about this, but it's kind of old...

For those listening to the Pre over your car stereos, how are you doing it? I have an FM transmitter that is shortening out on me so I'm looking to replace it, ideally with a better FM transmitter. The GPS radio in my car doesn't have an AUX cable output and I don't have bluetooth like on those fancy bmws or whatever, so...

If you are using an FM transmitter, which one do you have? Ideally, I want one that if you push a button, it will change the track (like on the headphones that come with the Pre) so I don't have to fiddle with the Pre to change the track.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Motorolla T505 works well.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    If you have an Aux Input, simply get a 1/8 to 1/8 jack, plug one end into the headphone jack and the other end into the Aux Input. Voila, instant satisfaction.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I have a Griffin iTrip fm transmitter and it works pretty good. As a bonus, you can charge your phone with a usb cord to, although it doesn't work with my touchstone in the car.

Amazon.com: Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger for MP3 Players: Electronics
    preferably..i went to best buy and bought the sony xplod unit with aux and BT. The BT is awesome cause you can do sprint tv, calls, gps nav,music, and youtube and the same goes with aux and you can skip tracks on the headunit or pause on both music and pandora

also... What I did was have the touchstone connected to a power inverter car charger and works great.

btw what's wrong with bmw?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    I have a Griffin iTrip fm transmitter and it works pretty good. As a bonus, you can charge your phone with a usb cord to, although it doesn't work with my touchstone in the car.

Amazon.com: Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger for MP3 Players: Electronics
    I 2nd the iTrip. I found it cheaper at Target Vs Bestbuy. Saved about $10, but you may even find it lower on Amazon.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Motorolla T505 works well.
    Okay, I'm having a hard time figuring this out because it seems like it might from searching the web, but, can you change and pause the music with this one?
    line in and a two male wire. XD

those transmitters usually sound hollow and borish
    I bought this a while ago

Scosche FMMOD02 FM Modulator w/RCA Inputs, On/Off Switch

It's an FM modulator that hard wires (pass through) into the radios antenna. I thought a hard wired device has to sound better than an FM radio transmission,, it does a bit but I'm still not completely satisfied
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    In one of our cars I had a Pioneed BT stereo head unit installed and streaming audio over it works great, as does using the aux in jack. The only issue is that I can't get the a2dp controls to work, but I have never spent very much time on it.

In my other car, the factory installed both a CD player and a tape player (you youngsters know what an cassette tape is, don't you?) so I use one of those adapters to go from headphone jack to tape, and that works OK too.

I used to use an FM transmitter before BT, but it is very hard to find clear stations in the eastern half of Texas.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Motorola MotoRokr T505 Review - PCWorld

Yes you can pause hang up and answer play and forward and reverse songs. It works well quality of music isn't the best through it but it allows you to play music and take calls a definite plus!!!! I have the ipod bluetooth usb connector and that has better music but no calls can go through!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Also if your deck has a sat radio or cd changer port on the back you can use an adaptor to use it as a line in (in most cases). For a little more money you can get a better adaptor that allows you to keep sat radio or cd changer capabilities while still using it for line in.

- Phil -
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The GPS radio in my car doesn't have an AUX cable output
    Quote Originally Posted by flunkn View Post
    If you have an Aux Input, ...
    I think alpha meant the radio doesn't have AUX INput.

I'm going to check the price of something, right quick before making a recommendation. Sadly, this iPad cannot multitask like the Pre, so it'll be easier to just post first then check back later.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Living in Indianapolis, I never had much luck with FM transmitters. My '03 Camry has a cd player with a cassette deck as well, so I went out and bought the cassette tape adapter that people used to play their portable cd players through car stereos before CD players were common place. It works fantastic with my Pre. Of course, this only works if you have a cassette deck still in your car.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie923 View Post
    Living in Indianapolis, I never had much luck with FM transmitters. My '03 Camry has a cd player with a cassette deck as well, so I went out and bought the cassette tape adapter that people used to play their portable cd players through car stereos before CD players were common place. It works fantastic with my Pre. Of course, this only works if you have a cassette deck still in your car.
    And when we don't have tape decks anymore how will I play all my old 8-tracks in my portable radio using the cassette adapter....?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    btw what's wrong with bmw?
    Just jealous..
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie923 View Post
    Same here with my '03 Toyota Highlander. I make phone calls and listen to music from my Pre via this method. It's awesome.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'm not too keen on having someone fiddle with my card and radio innards, so I think I'm going to try to get the Motorokr on eBay and if thwarted, get the iTrip.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    Just jealous..

Yeah, pretty much! Nothing wrong with them, just meant I don't have a super awesome car that comes with built-in bluetooth compatibility or anything.
    I swore by fm transmitters, at one point, but now I find that radio stations where I live and travel are too densely distributed for an open channel to stay available long enough to enjoy it.

Now I have alternatives that are working well for me.

A couple of options:

1) I hear that some car stereos have input cables that can easily be converted/split to function as aux ports, with the cable coming through the glove compartment or something. That may get you a more reliable inpuT option.

2) Check the prices of car stereo units with the input options you would prefer and consider getting one. The last time I checked, certain units were incredibly affordable - especially now that fm transmitters have gotten so much more expensive.

The prices balance out more than they used to.

That said, of course, you might want to start with option one.

Good luck wih whatever route you decide to take.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast