Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Well, the problem is that the car was given to me as sort of a graduation gift by my parents (and sort of, we want a new car, so you take and make the last few remaining payments on this one!) and it has this really expensive GPS/DVD player system they put in it that I am not too keen to remove since it cost like $900. But the stereo is pretty nice and I haven't actually had any complaints with the quality of the FM transmitter I'm using now (it is a Belkin TuneCast) except that it's shortening out and I want music playback controls since I don't have a phone dock. But yes, they have gotten more expensive! All the ones I've seen in stores were $50/60/70!

Just a piece of advice, if it is an expensive GPS/DVD player there is probably a few easy and very cheap ways to get aux input. It will either have one built in or there will be an adapter where the CD changer would plug in. You should post up the Brand and Model #. I am sure a few of us could give you some easy and cheap aux input options.
    Have to add the Motoroloa T505 has A2DP plays Pandora, GPS Nav, and most audio apps.

Some things not mentioned about the T505 is it has Audio CallerID, will tell you the incoming number of the person calling you over the sound system. It will also automatically find the strongest station and tell you what frequency to tune to (not always perfect but not limited to specific stations either). Will automatically turn off after non-use to save battery. Clips to visor, so you can use it any car easily. And comes with car charger so you don't have to remove it to charge it.

Downside:
    Indicator light for FM Broadcast is hard to see.
    I like this as an FM transmitter. Kind of bulky and ugly but there's a mod where you trun up the output and nothing ever drowns it out. Here's the unit
    C. Crane Company - FM Transmitter (Orphan) - Toll Free (800) 522-8863 might check ebay for a used one.
    Heres a link to the mod. XMFan.com :: #1 Fan Site of Sirius XM Satellite Radio :: CCRANE FM Transmitter MOD and Tests..

I use a BT-01 JVC and all works great except it likes drop off randomly. Still need to call JVC and see if there's a fix or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Motorolla T505 works well.
    I 2nd That! By far my favorite accessory
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    anyone have any issues with the t505 and it's auto shutoff? most review I have seen have complained that it auto-offs after a short amount of time requiring you to try to turn it on. Wait for it to sync then press the answer call button when I call comes in. Is that your experience?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    There was kind of a thread about this, but it's kind of old...

For those listening to the Pre over your car stereos, how are you doing it? I have an FM transmitter that is shortening out on me so I'm looking to replace it, ideally with a better FM transmitter. The GPS radio in my car doesn't have an AUX cable output and I don't have bluetooth like on those fancy bmws or whatever, so...

If you are using an FM transmitter, which one do you have? Ideally, I want one that if you push a button, it will change the track (like on the headphones that come with the Pre) so I don't have to fiddle with the Pre to change the track.
    I have a Pioneer DEH P7900BT. It has bluetooth for calls and stereo.

What I do is simply connect via Bluetooth. Choose BlueTooth Stereo as a source, and load my music player on my Pre. Start playing and it plays PERFECT.

This goes also for the GPS and music apps like Pandora, GrooveShark, and my fav, Reggaeton HD.

Attached is the stereo I have.

Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    anyone have any issues with the t505 and it's auto shutoff? most review I have seen have complained that it auto-offs after a short amount of time requiring you to try to turn it on. Wait for it to sync then press the answer call button when I call comes in. Is that your experience?
    The auto-off on the FM transmitter is on a very short time out and that is annoying, but the auto off of the unit itself (i.e. requiring you to reconnect Bluetooth) is on a much longer time out and I've never run into any troubles with it. When the FM times out (i.e. if music is paused for too long and there's no active phone call) you just get everything through it's built in speaker instead...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    I have a Sony CD player with built in bluettoth for calls and music streaming. It cost $150 at best buy. The higher end model included an address book stored on the player. Everything works great and easy to setup. However people complained that it sounds like window is down sometimes. I've noticed that bluetooth music streaming will speed up every once in awhile.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I have a Sony CD player with built in bluettoth for calls and music streaming. It cost $150 at best buy. The higher end model included an address book stored on the player. Everything works great and easy to setup. However people complained that it sounds like window is down sometimes. I've noticed that bluetooth music streaming will speed up every once in awhile.
    It's the big reason I spend about $400 on my stereo (post above). I wanted no doubt of the quality. My satellite radio quality is just a slight tad better. But unnoticeable to many.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Ive been researching the Sony head units with BT and this built in mic seems to be a common complaint, of course you can buy an external sony microphone for 30 bucks on Amazon, and reviews seem to suggest that fixes the "sounds like the window is down" problem. Installing it yourself is another matter though.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    @Dvigilante1 what model did you get? Also, is it possible to use the pre's mic for input and the stereo for speaker output? I have my pre mounted on the dash and I have answered a few calls while my tape adapter was plugged in and the people on the other end said it sounded fine.
    sony 3700u or something like that. Has external mic option. Last year model.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    @Dvigilante1 what model did you get? Also, is it possible to use the pre's mic for input and the stereo for speaker output? I have my pre mounted on the dash and I have answered a few calls while my tape adapter was plugged in and the people on the other end said it sounded fine.
    somebody in this thread mentioned it (I think on page 2) and was in another thread about using the pre in your car.

If you are going to plug in like that, there is a small "adapter" or plug you can buy, it is a mic that will plug into the pre then you plug your aux plug into that.

I found various results here to show you what I am talking about. Should be easy to find cheap on ebay or at local retailer. Been thinking about going this route for the car that doesn't have BT, or the T505.... but this would be cheaper.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCIQrQQwAw

for those that can't see links, google mic adapter for ipod touch
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 04/23/2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: ha ha, forgot link
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123