Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie923 View Post
    Living in Indianapolis, I never had much luck with FM transmitters. My '03 Camry has a cd player with a cassette deck as well, so I went out and bought the cassette tape adapter that people used to play their portable cd players through car stereos before CD players were common place. It works fantastic with my Pre. Of course, this only works if you have a cassette deck still in your car.
    That's what I do when I'm driving the wife's 04 Camry.

My 02 Corolla has an aftermarket audio deck I purchased at Best Buy that has an aux input. (That was a mandatory feature I checked for when shopping for one).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I Went to best buy and got the Jabra Cruiserfrom the cell phone section. it is wireless bluetooth and a wireless FM transmitter. I mounted my touch stone in my truck and bought the Palm car charger to hook to the TS. this works great. very clear for playing pandra, movies and anything. Jabra tells you what station to tune you radio to and it is great and clear.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

2) Check the prices of car stereo units with the input options you would prefer and consider getting one. The last time I checked, certain units were incredibly affordable - especially now that fm transmitters have gotten so much more expensive.

The prices balance out more than they used to.

Well, the problem is that the car was given to me as sort of a graduation gift by my parents (and sort of, we want a new car, so you take and make the last few remaining payments on this one!) and it has this really expensive GPS/DVD player system they put in it that I am not too keen to remove since it cost like $900. But the stereo is pretty nice and I haven't actually had any complaints with the quality of the FM transmitter I'm using now (it is a Belkin TuneCast) except that it's shortening out and I want music playback controls since I don't have a phone dock. But yes, they have gotten more expensive! All the ones I've seen in stores were $50/60/70!
    I have a deck with an Aux input and a USB port, so I bought one of the BlackBerry Bluetooth Music Gateways (requires USB power somehow). Works really well for me. The sound quality seems quite good, it powers up when I turn the car on and automatically connects to my Pre. I get occasional BT "glitches" where I have to reset either the BT Gateway or the Pre ... but for the most part works great.
    I use the line in on my RAV4 with a Touchstone, between Slacker my own music and Radio Time, my car radio and CD player rarely get any use.
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Motorolla T505 works well.
    That's what I use. The Motorokr is a nice device if you don't have a stereo with bluetooth. I bought my daughter a stereo for her car that had bluetooth built in and also an aux input. The aux input is really easy, just plug and go, no configuring. Bluetooth works, too, just not as easy.
    Precentral Pre vehicle Mount + Aux cable + Pandora/Datpiff = pure driving enjoyment

I also never use my car radio tuner except for NPR
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    .....and I don't have bluetooth like on those fancy bmws or whatever, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    That's what I use. The Motorokr is a nice device if you don't have a stereo with bluetooth.

Just for the record, you don't need a "fancy bmw" to have a stereo with bluetooth. Sony (God it hurts me to recommend Sony) makes a car stereo with bluetooth audio and phone support for $150. Not exactly BMW prices, and only $50 more than the Motorokr last time I looked, which makes the motorokr a pretty rotten deal.

Granted, it won't show you what track you're on, or who's calling, but if you've got your pre up on your dashboard, you won't miss it.
    I consider myself lucky that my van has an RCA audio/video input (built-in DVD player...can you say XBOX on long trips, lol!) so I can plug directly into the stereo...doesn't get any better than that! I'm definitely spoiled and can't stand the lower sound quality of FM modulators.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Too be honest FM transmitters are terrible if you want a good quality sound, I suggest somehow spending the 100 dollars and getting a auxillery type of jack in your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Just for the record, you don't need a "fancy bmw" to have a stereo with bluetooth. Sony (God it hurts me to recommend Sony) makes a car stereo with bluetooth audio and phone support for $150. Not exactly BMW prices, and only $50 more than the Motorokr last time I looked, which makes the motorokr a pretty rotten deal.

Granted, it won't show you what track you're on, or who's calling, but if you've got your pre up on your dashboard, you won't miss it.
    Funny, the stereo I bought for my daughter's car is a sony. It has bluetooth built in, and an aux input. I showed her how to use both, and she never uses the bluetooth, just the aux. It's so easy, you just plug in and go.

My motorokr cost $42 on ebay, new, free shipping. They are pretty cheap. My car has an expensive OEM radio so rather than put a $150 sony in my car, I use the Motorokr. It is a very good solution, and it is easy to switch between my phone and my car stereo if I want to listen to local radio. I create a preset FM station that connects to my Motorokr, and if I get a call, I just hit the button to switch to that station and start talking.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    +1
    Motorolla T505 works well
    I hooked up an aux adapter to the cd changer port in the back of radio. It runs a male aux line which i plug into my pre. Works great for Pandora, RadioTime, and TwitTV...

I also use it on calls when I'm driving because I don't have a bluetooth. The person on the other end usually hears some echo, but it isn't terrible... I do run into a problem with this sometimes though. About 20% of the time, when the phone is plugged in through aux, and I answer the phone or call someone I can hear them but they can't hear me. If I unplug the phone from the aux cable the mic starts working again until I plug it back in. Anyone else have this problem?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    My motorokr cost $42 on ebay, new, free shipping. They are pretty cheap. My car has an expensive OEM radio so rather than put a $150 sony in my car, I use the Motorokr. It is a very good solution, and it is easy to switch between my phone and my car stereo if I want to listen to local radio. I create a preset FM station that connects to my Motorokr, and if I get a call, I just hit the button to switch to that station and start talking.
    Haha, same! I made up my mind and just bought the T505 on ebay yesterday for $37 + priority shipping! It wasn't new, though, but apparently used very little. We'll see sometime this week I suppose! I wasn't keen on changing the car stereo for the same reason as you, so it's why I was looking for other solutions.
    I have a JVC KD-R800 in my truck. BT works well, but now it seems every other update breaks something and the other updates fix it.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I use a Jabra Cruiser and am very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Motorolla T505 works well.
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Precentral Pre vehicle Mount + Aux cable + Pandora/Datpiff = pure driving enjoyment

I also never use my car radio tuner except for NPR
    what? There are several apps available thhat let you get npr streams and podasts on your phone. That is much better than that nasty old fm radio... :-)
    I have one I bought from a vendor at the Irvine Spectrum I found it online. It must have a really strong transmitter as i have bought a Griffen one, a Belkin one and none would make the distance and through the body of my F150 but this one works great, and sounds great.
    Also I live in a very densely populated area with many radio stations, and I had to changed the frequency once due to static (had over a year). It's made for the iphone but the Pre fits in it ok with the keyboard extended. Can use it at a speaker phone as well with the Pre. (I have an iphone also that I use for music and apps, not as a phone.)

PDO: CarFM for iPods and iPhones - FM Transmitter, Car Charger, iPhone Hands-Free
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    I hooked up an aux adapter to the cd changer port in the back of radio. It runs a male aux line which i plug into my pre. Works great for Pandora, RadioTime, and TwitTV...

I also use it on calls when I'm driving because I don't have a bluetooth. The person on the other end usually hears some echo, but it isn't terrible... I do run into a problem with this sometimes though. About 20% of the time, when the phone is plugged in through aux, and I answer the phone or call someone I can hear them but they can't hear me. If I unplug the phone from the aux cable the mic starts working again until I plug it back in. Anyone else have this problem?
    Just to update on this... I went and bought an aux mic adapter for 14 bucks at radio shack... calls work perfectly through my car stereo now. I can hear them... they can hear me... everyone is happy.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast