Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You have to try both of these: 800mhz ipk and the uber cpuscaler 500-800mhz. I can not believe how fast this phone is! It is unreal!
    I know I'm using the same settings..
    I've got the 800MHz ipk working really well, but could you both explain what the uber cpuscaler 500-800mhz does and how you've got it set.

I've read the scaling thread but still can't get my head around the above.

Thanks,
    Chas.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    You have to try both of these: 800mhz ipk and the uber cpuscaler 500-800mhz. I can not believe how fast this phone is! It is unreal!
    I got it set to 500-800 on scaling under uber but what do u have the set speed option? 800mhz or lower?

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Quote Originally Posted by spopyu View Post
    Ok, I'm currently running the 250-800mhz scaling, can someone explain to me why this is better than just running at 800mhz?

It felt a tiny bit faster just running at 800mhz. Will this help my battery life? Whats the deal?
    The idea of scaling is to reduce the processing speed as needed, so when it's asleep and nothings happening it really should be using less power than when its running a 3d app. Basically it'll save battery life by reducing the amount of power the cpu uses when it doesn't need to. Technically it could be argued that this also helps lengthen the life of the cpu as well, but I would imagine it's negligible under normal conditions.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    i have the 800 kernal installed what do i need to do to get this as well? Do you have to change it or will it change as needed??? any insight would be great tyring to go through 18 pages of the other thread!!!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I did 125-800 mhz..
    ... and my battery went down 20-30% an hour.

So I uninstalled and now it's like 10%/hour'ish... which is something I can handle.

I don't know. I thought it was supposed to make my battery life longer. I don't understand what it did.
    I'd rather have a smartflex 800 mhz. I would so use that. When I had smartflex 600mhz my phone was fast and it had a much longer battery.

Some guy was like "I get 50-70 hours on a single stock battery!" ... I was like ? ? ?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    I got it set to 500-800 on scaling under uber but what do u have the set speed option? 800mhz or lower?
    I don't believe you have to do antthing.
    I've got a Touchstone in my car, a Touchstone in my office, and a Touchstone at home. Not using the CPU Scaling patch, so I am running at 800 MHz all the time. I've been at a MLB ball game, picnic, etc and away from charging for over 8 - 12 hrs and did not run my battery down below 20%. I don't see the need for the scaler unless someone can tell me it improves CPU Performance over and above just running the 800MHz patch alone.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    i have been using the 800 MHz patch for a week + now and it is incredible -- the phone is so fast and responsive -- like a sports car.. no heat issues no lock ups --i added the uber scaler and have noticed better battery life -- i went initially with the 250 - 800 settings and what i noticed was that the phone never went below 500 any way so after 2 days i went with 500 -800 and have loved it -- better battery life - phone seems to be running cooler -- no crashes or freezes

thanks to all who put their time and brains behind these

Rob
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I've got a Touchstone in my car, a Touchstone in my office, and a Touchstone at home. Not using the CPU Scaling patch, so I am running at 800 MHz all the time. I've been at a MLB ball game, picnic, etc and away from charging for over 8 - 12 hrs and did not run my battery down below 20%. I don't see the need for the scaler unless someone can tell me it improves CPU Performance over and above just running the 800MHz patch alone.

TTB
    It improves CPU performance over and above just running the 800 patch alone. It is much faster with the addition of the uberscaler patch with the scaling 500-800 setting.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    How is it working for you guys?
    I'll try 500-800 I guess..

The scaling app gives you an option of what to run the Pre at... what do you guys choose?
    Then it gives scaling options... what do you guys choose for that?

I'm running 800 right now and battery drain is okay... manageable.
    I used to have smartflex 600 and my battery was beyond awesome. Why can't I do that for this cpuscaling app?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    It improves CPU performance over and above just running the 800 patch alone. It is much faster with the addition of the uberscaler patch with the scaling 500-800 setting.

sorry i did not answer the question directly -- also what it does is instead of running at 800 all the time it allows it to drop down to the lower limit when demand is low or non-existant -- save wear and tear on cpu and battery life while still allowing rocket speed
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I've got the 800MHz ipk working really well, but could you both explain what the uber cpuscaler 500-800mhz does and how you've got it set.

I've read the scaling thread but still can't get my head around the above.

Thanks,
    Chas.
    Any chance of an answer to the above questions guy's.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Any chance of an answer to the above questions guy's.
    i thought i did right above your post
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i thought i did right above your post
    Sorry, yes I think you did

Reading your answer along with the one below has sorted it for me

http://forums.precentral.net/2381801-post350.html
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by spopyu View Post
    ok, just got my first locked screen issue with this app. My phone was sitting idle for about 5 min and I heard a "text notification" sound. I tried to turn on my screen and it just kept making the notification sound each time I pressed the power button. Phone would not turn on.
    I've had similar issues with the 250-800 mhz setting and even the 500-800 mhz setting. I've been running on the 800 mhz kernel for a week or so with no lockups. I would like to squeeze more efficiency out of my Pre, but my unit seems a little touchy to on the fly scaling.
    I thought I was golden, the 250-800 setting gave me a black screen after about 10 minutes and the 500-800 setting lasted me a good 14 hours before it locked up when going to the Amazon MP3 store.

Ah well, as we all know, not all Pre's are created equal.
    So I've been using the 800 patch for some time and installed the cpu scaler ultimate. I have it set to 500-800. To be honest, it seems like there is a lag once in a while that I didn't get with just the 800 kernel. I'm going to do some testing by turning off the scaler and trying some things. It would make sense that since it's not running at 800mhz all the time, there could be some times of lag, which of course would be offset by longer battery life. However, my battery will generally last a whole day any how and I'm getting the extended 1400mah one soon.
  20.    #20  
    I have experienced NO LAG and everything is great 24 hours in! I hope it does not change!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast