1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Picked up my new Pre last week and I am loving it.

Only thing is the screen when closed, I have read a lot about it and want to know if this is acceptable as I'm very picky!

When closed my pre has a slight movement to the right by a mm or two if pushed from the top left it moves to the right or bottom right it moves to the left.

Is this slight movement OK, as it is a slider after all, the phone is solid when open, I don't want to return as everything else appears OK but O2 only give you 14days cool off period and no one else I know has a Pre

Thanks,

Barry
    unfortunately thats normal for the pre and one of the things most complained about
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Hi all,

Picked up my new Pre last week and I am loving it.

Only thing is the screen when closed, I have read a lot about it and want to know if this is acceptable as I'm very picky!

When closed my pre has a slight movement to the right by a mm or two if pushed from the top left it moves to the right or bottom right it moves to the left.

Is this slight movement OK, as it is a slider after all, the phone is solid when open, I don't want to return as everything else appears OK but O2 only give you 14days cool off period and no one else I know has a Pre

Thanks,

Barry
    Mine has done this since UK Launch it is normal! Don't worry about it. Enjoy your Pre
    my thoughts are it does that a little so the slider will fuction better,mines not really noticeable at all. It's normal as long as it's not twisting far off from each other.
    Yah mine does that 1mm to the right thing (towards the power button) and I have had mine since launch day and it has not gotten worse. So enjoy. I am picky too and I think being left-handed, if trying to open the slider with a one-hand motion it is more aggrivating then to someone right-handed. So if opening with your right hand it doesnt tend to twist that 1mm and I feel more secure about opening one handed.

BUT like I said I am left handed and had since launch and not a problem. ENJOY!!!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Yah mine does that 1mm to the right thing (towards the power button) and I have had mine since launch day and it has not gotten worse. So enjoy. I am picky too and I think being left-handed, if trying to open the slider with a one-hand motion it is more aggrivating then to someone right-handed. So if opening with your right hand it doesnt tend to twist that 1mm and I feel more secure about opening one handed.

BUT like I said I am left handed and had since launch and not a problem. ENJOY!!!
    Thanks for the tip, its actually much easier to slide open if i plase my thumb on the right hand side of the screen. Sometimes it sticks/jams a tiny bit when opening using the thumb on the left side but it never does I position the thumb on the right hand side.

Must be due to the slider hinges beeing weaker on that side and the twisting that occurs makes it catch something.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    As long as the twisting isn't too great it's nothing to worry about. My first one did it as did a lot of other units at the Bell store. Mine doesn't though.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm also a left hander I kinda thought there would be some play given the whole oreo thing!

I held of getting it at UK launch mostly down to the k/b but after a few days use I like it, it reminds me of my treo 680 (which was good)!

Having had iPhone (2G, 3G), Android (Magic, Nexus One) I have to say webOS is the best of the lot imo and I can forgive a few h/w quirks

No issue with battery life so far as I'm a very light user, mostly text so can get 2 days from a charge, GPS off and airplane mode on overnight, GMail get mail as it arrives.

Wish I had gotten it last year

Barry
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Hi Barry,

Well done on not opting for the iPhone because 'all your friends have one'. The Pre is a fantastic phone and with the constant and persistent firmware updates it just keeps getting better. I bought mine on launch day.

The couple of mm movement is normal and it doesn't increase over time. It will reach its limit if it hasn't already. I've had my Palm Pre for six months and it's solid. Look after it and it will look after you.

laze
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Hi Barry,

Well done on not opting for the iPhone because 'all your friends have one'. The Pre is a fantastic phone and with the constant and persistent firmware updates it just keeps getting better. I bought mine on launch day.

The couple of mm movement is normal and it doesn't increase over time. It will reach its limit if it hasn't already. I've had my Palm Pre for six months and it's solid. Look after it and it will look after you.

laze
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter