Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
       #1  
    I should be getting a call from my local Sprint store to replace my 5th pre. This time it's not dead pixels, screen bleed, lose battery, or even the over hype oreo sliding mechanism. It's my power button.

    The frustration I feel with this device have been express in great detail on this forum by fellow precentralists. So I'm not going into any rants because we've all heard them.

    What I'm going to say is this. If my pre wasn't running webOS there's no way I will be putting up with this Sh!t. I now believe quality control is non existent at palm. The only hope I've is the Jon seem to have realize these issues, and I'm hoping that they're all address in the next generation of webOS' devices. That is of course, if palm is around. And I'm hoping they are, because I can't imagine using any other device without WebOS.
    Last edited by olidie; 04/14/2010 at 01:13 AM.
  2. #2  
    ok
  3. #3  
    You know what i find funny, Jon himself uses a pixi. I wonder if it is by choice or he had multiple pre's him self that malfunction, and don't want to deal with it anymore lol

    Just as Microsoft have targeted their new Kin platform at the mass-market, Rubinstein sees the Pixi – which he uses as his daily phone – as positioned for entry-level smartphone users, while the Pre Plus occupies the flagship spot.
    Palm CEO talks webOS, Verizon & tablet licensing - SlashGear
  4. #4  
    i wonder if he has a super pixi or something
  5. #5  
    one thing i have noticed as more and more people get pre's around me -- 5 out of six have their original pre and then the is the 6th who is on their 6th -- why do you think this is? is this person harder on their phone? are they more prone to tweak and patch their phone? just asking -- i think that there is a very vocal group on these forums that are complaining about the build quality of the phone, i have had 2 ( i plugged a solar charger into the 1st phone and fried it --my fault not palm's or the build quality) both of these phones have been solid quality handsets. The majority of people who own a palm pre have never visited pre central- have no idea what developer mode is and mainly only text and make phone calls and maybe access their calendar. So we don't hear from them how solid their handset is -- how happy/ unhappy they are -- I am only saying this because 4 or 5 years ago i had a RAZR and that phone really had some build quality issues -- i was constantly on HOFO trying to tweak the phone and complaining about the quality of the phone i traded out 5 of them and complained to everyone that would listen -- everyone had one of the stupid things and do you know what 9 out of 10 people told me -- i think it is great. i am not saying that you have not had your issues -- what i am saying is that IMHO the majority of people are not only thrilled with the webos but with the hardware as well



    rob
  6. #6  
    it's crap luck i gues.. still on my first here. But i have to admit.. it's still no where near as bad as the Blackberry Storm.
  7. fizymike's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    one thing i have noticed as more and more people get pre's around me -- 5 out of six have their original pre and then the is the 6th who is on their 6th -- why do you think this is? is this person harder on their phone? are they more prone to tweak and patch their phone? just asking -- i think that there is a very vocal group on these forums that are complaining about the build quality of the phone, i have had 2 ( i plugged a solar charger into the 1st phone and fried it --my fault not palm's or the build quality) both of these phones have been solid quality handsets. The majority of people who own a palm pre have never visited pre central- have no idea what developer mode is and mainly only text and make phone calls and maybe access their calendar. So we don't hear from them how solid their handset is -- how happy/ unhappy they are -- I am only saying this because 4 or 5 years ago i had a RAZR and that phone really had some build quality issues -- i was constantly on HOFO trying to tweak the phone and complaining about the quality of the phone i traded out 5 of them and complained to everyone that would listen -- everyone had one of the stupid things and do you know what 9 out of 10 people told me -- i think it is great. i am not saying that you have not had your issues -- what i am saying is that IMHO the majority of people are not only thrilled with the webos but with the hardware as well



    rob
    I never patched my first two... but idk how patching or being hard on your phone can bring out manufacturer defects...
  8. #8  
    I think it has more to do with how people handle their phones, using a hard one finger sliding actions that eventually cracks the screen, loosens the slider, usb door etc.
    I am still on my first, and it is in pristine condition used daily, all day.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    I think it has more to do with how people handle their phones, using a hard one finger sliding actions that eventually cracks the screen, loosens the slider, usb door etc.
    I am still on my first, and it is in pristine condition used daily, all day.
    I agree -- i have had a lot of phones for a lot of years -- they weren't cheap when i got my first one -- it cost me close to $3 a minute + $500 for the phone -- over the years i have always put my phone in a leather case and put some sort of screen protection in place -- some people have always had these things and take them for granted -- there are hard usage phones out there -- i carry one for work and this is what i bought my kids -- that being said i don't think that the problems that people are having aren't genuine -- Some phones like cars are just lemons -- this phone is not designed to be stuffed in your pocket with your keys and treated like a cheap motorola flip phone -- but even so i think that some people will have problems no matter what -- i guess this point is not going any where other than to say if you have had bad luck with the phone and it is not because you are treating it gentely but because the hardware is faulty -- that stinks -- but i don't think that it means that the entire run of phones are bad --
  10. #10  
    I think it's probably actually much worse than it seems. Normal people won't put up with the Pre's hardware issues, just like they won't use patches or wait for updates to get functionality they expect in a smart phone. And therefore you don't see those users here.

    To think it's normal to be drilling holes in your less-than-one-year-old phone to prevent cracks from spreading, or wedging bits of paper under the battery to keep it from powering itself off is ludicrous.

    It would be interesting to see what retailers' stats look like in terms of returns. I bet it's 25% or more, which is insane.

    -n8
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    I think it's probably actually much worse than it seems. Normal people won't put up with the Pre's hardware issues, just like they won't use patches or wait for updates to get functionality they expect in a smart phone. And therefore you don't see those users here.

    To think it's normal to be drilling holes in your less-than-one-year-old phone to prevent cracks from spreading, or wedging bits of paper under the battery to keep it from powering itself off is ludicrous.

    It would be interesting to see what retailers' stats look like in terms of returns. I bet it's 25% or more, which is insane.

    -n8
    i too would be interested to see those stats because people are 83.6% more likely to believe your argument if there is a stat attached while 92.567% of all stats are made up on the spot



    hmmmm
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i too would be interested to see those stats because people are 83.6% more likely to believe your argument if there is a stat attached while 92.567% of all stats are made up on the spot

    hmmmm
    Well I was only speculating, but a good hint might be the fact that Radio Shack is apparently discontinuing the Pre due to high rate of return....

    -n8
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Well I was only speculating, but a good hint might be the fact that Radio Shack is apparently discontinuing the Pre due to high rate of return....

    -n8
    apparently? -- do you have a valid source on this? -- and please don't point me to a thread here -

    thanks

    Rob
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    I think it's probably actually much worse than it seems. Normal people won't put up with the Pre's hardware issues, just like they won't use patches or wait for updates to get functionality they expect in a smart phone. And therefore you don't see those users here.

    To think it's normal to be drilling holes in your less-than-one-year-old phone to prevent cracks from spreading, or wedging bits of paper under the battery to keep it from powering itself off is ludicrous.

    It would be interesting to see what retailers' stats look like in terms of returns. I bet it's 25% or more, which is insane.

    -n8
    This is pretty much it, with a certain level of my phone isn't perfect anymore because I accidently dinged it and it's PALM'S fault, so I'm going to take it back and get a shiny new phone. I'm not kind to my equipment. I drop the thing at least twice a week, throw in my bag, and what not, and so my first Pre was a moderately scratched mess with a side piece missing. But it was okay because everything else worked and it was mostly my fault (that one side piece missing though...that was ridiculous...). But some of the things people say they returned it for seem superfluous and unnecessary because it's a software issue fixing it is exceedingly simple and they're just lazy and spoiled. If I had taken my iPod back every time it had a ding or scrape or the clickwheel started acting funny, I'd be visiting their genius bar every other month.
  15. #15  
    Ive had 2 Pre's. The first one was returned because they didnt figure out the headphone jack issue yet, and figured it was broken, the second, which was not a refurb, is still doing an awesome job. I love my Pre and will personally find it difficult to adjust to anything else after this. I just may revive my TX and get a basic phone again if PALM does go away.
  16. #16  
    There's a simple fix for the power button that won't take more than 5 minutes to permanently resolve it.

    I'm not saying it ain't a problem its that you can take the easy road or the hard road with any number of these issues, which will affect whether you end up with 6 Pre's or 1.
    Last edited by foosball; 04/14/2010 at 12:06 PM.
  17. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by spopyu View Post


    Stop being a baby. Dead pixels? screen bleed? You are the impossible to please type of customer.

    Nothing's ever good enough. You probably talk yourself into feeling you're sick too.
    You guys are all in denial. I'm not being a baby. I'm a man, and I'll be 40 in 13 years (joke). Posts like yours are all base on you being a fan boy.

    Deny all you want, the pre has a hardware issues which we've all ignore because we're so in love webOS. This is a flagship device made out of Fisher Price materials.

    I paid $300 out the gate for this phone on launch. Dead pixels, screen bleeds, flimsy construction, loose battery, and most recently power button failure is not what I'll come to expect from a flagship product. I deserve the right as a consumer to return a product that is not up to par with the competition. If palm is asking for a premium price on this device I expect it to be made of premium materials.

    Name another flagship device with as many issues...

    With that said, I'm addicted to WebOS and can't see myself using any other phone not running it. I'm too invested in this device.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post

    Name another flagship device with as many issues...
    Xbox360. The are two states of Xbox ownership: Sent Back and Getting Ready to Send Back.
  19. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #19  
    I wonder if Ruby's spare Pre is overclocked.
  20. #20  
    just about all new tech that is out has growing pains -- i will be 40 too two years ago -- i have had many brands of phone that were cheaply made and that were frankly not good handsets -- i don't feel that way with this phone -- however i am on verizon and therefore had to wait for a lot of the early bugs to be worked out before i was able to get the phone so i did not suffer as much as the early early adopters --thus i must admit my opinion may be skewed


    Rob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions