1.    #1  
    I read some place that if you use Gmail, it will replace your palm profile, meaning that your contacts won't be backed up on the Palm servers and you instead have to rely on Google taking care of them instead?

How about your Apps and stuff? What happens if you use Gmail and you do a full restore or get a new device?
    why would google back ur apps up? And you can change if you want google or palm to back ur contacs up. If you get a new device once you sign in with ur palm profile every app you had will be there.
  3.    #3  
    How do you change it so that Palm backs it up?

Oh and I know that Google won't back up the Apps, I was just concerned if Google takes over that it will only back up it's own contacts and nothing else, meaning that using Google will totally disable the Palm backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    How do you change it so that Palm backs it up?

Oh and I know that Google won't back up the Apps, I was just concerned if Google takes over that it will only back up it's own contacts and nothing else, meaning that using Google will totally disable the Palm backup.
    Contacts app/top left where it says contacts/preferences and accounts/ Then default acct

If you have google then all of your new contacts will be saved under google, but all apps and other info will still go to your palm profile
    I read some place that if you use Gmail, it will replace your palm profile, meaning that your contacts won't be backed up on the Palm servers and you instead have to rely on Google taking care of them instead?

How about your Apps and stuff? What happens if you use Gmail and you do a full restore or get a new device?
    I think you misunderstood, or whoever explained to you misunderstood.

If you use Gmail, you may set that as your default account for contacts. This means that new contacts added will be added to Google Contacts, unless you choose a different account (you can over-ride the default when you create accounts). However, this isn't unique to Google, Exchange (or even your Palm Profile) can be set as your default account as well.

No matter what the default account is for contacts, your apps are still backed up at the Palm server.

It's also worth noting, you can have different accounts as default for different apps. For instance, you can have Google as your default contact account, Palm Profile as the default calendar, and EAS as the default email account - though you'd have to be much more organized than I to keep all that straight...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you misunderstood, or whoever explained to you misunderstood.

If you use Gmail, you may set that as your default account for contacts. This means that new contacts added will be added to Google Contacts, unless you choose a different account (you can over-ride the default when you create accounts). However, this isn't unique to Google, Exchange (or even your Palm Profile) can be set as your default account as well.

No matter what the default account is for contacts, your apps are still backed up at the Palm server.

It's also worth noting, you can have different accounts as default for different apps. For instance, you can have Google as your default contact account, Palm Profile as the default calendar, and EAS as the default email account - though you'd have to be much more organized than I to keep all that straight...
    Ok so once Google transferred all the accounts into the Pre, I can double check and make sure that Palm Profile is still king, and in the event of a full restore or replacement, all contacts will be downloaded from Palm Profile again. Simplicity in it's most complicated form....
    Ok so once Google transferred all the accounts into the Pre, I can double check and make sure that Palm Profile is still king, and in the event of a full restore or replacement, all contacts will be downloaded from Palm Profile again. Simplicity in it's most complicated form....
    You can do that, but I'm not sure it is a good idea. If you look at posts from a few months back, there were a lot of people very upset that Palm had lost their contacts and they had no backup. I think it was around the time of the 1.3.5 update. I haven't noticed anyone talking about problems with their google backup.
    I regards to contacts google is not acting any different that the Palm Profile. The only contacts Palm saves are those that are created as part of the Profile. That is where the default account the others have talked about comes in. The contacts will back up to whatever service yo have them set to.

Neither really superceeds the other, they work together. that is the Synergy. what changes is where you want stuff created. All my defaults (contacts, calendar) are set up to go to my google account. So theoretically the only thing Palm is backing up ios my account settings and apps.
    The thing to note is that the Pre doesn't actually transfer any data from one account to another, it just shows them to you in a single view. If you have contacts A, B, C on Google then create contacts D and E on your Pre with the Palm Profile set as the default account, you still have 3 contacts on Google and only 2 (not 5) in your Palm Profile. I've seen a lot of confusion about that in these forums so thought it worth mentioning...

(Personally I prefer Google as my default so that I can always get to my contacts, even if I don't happen to have my Pre handy. Your Pre is the only place you can view the contacts in your Palm Profile.)
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    The thing to note is that the Pre doesn't actually transfer any data from one account to another, it just shows them to you in a single view. If you have contacts A, B, C on Google then create contacts D and E on your Pre with the Palm Profile set as the default account, you still have 3 contacts on Google and only 2 (not 5) in your Palm Profile. I've seen a lot of confusion about that in these forums so thought it worth mentioning...

(Personally I prefer Google as my default so that I can always get to my contacts, even if I don't happen to have my Pre handy. Your Pre is the only place you can view the contacts in your Palm Profile.)
    Not that it's terribly important, but it does demonstrate what you've said.

I have 2 contacts on my Palm Profile. Both of them were there when I first got my Pre (I have a Sprint Pre). They are:

• Sprint Account Information - *2
    • Sprint Customer Care - *4

When I cleaned set up my accounts, I started to move them to Google, then decided against it. Instead, I have those linked (on the Pre) to a Google entry (for Sprint) that has the "real" numbers.

Now, when I look them up on a computer, they don't show me the *2 or *4 (which won't work on my computer, or any phone besides my Pre).

However, when I look them up on the Pre, I can use those shortcut numbers.

That's part of what Synergy does. Display disparate information into one simpler view, but still keeps the information disparate.