1.    #1  
    I have never bought an apple product before and had no interest in the iPad, but my boss recently got me one. All this time I felt like I was missing out something great by not buying an iPhone or iPod, but boy, was I wrong.

Since I bought my palm pre plus, I have been absolutely in love with the os. The multitasking rocks. So when I first played around with the iPad, the first thing I did was to fire up pandora. Sure, it ran great. Then I hit the home button to find some contacts. And guess what - the music stopped. Welcome to the iPhone/iPad os. The only time pandora stops on webos is when I am on the phone.

Things got worse from there. I wanted to copy some pics to the iPad so I plugged it in to the computer via the USB cable. Oops, not recognized. Turns out I need to use iTunes. Fifteen minutes later after iTunes is installed I try to sync. The damn thing only syncs folders (to my knowledge) so I had to make a separate folder for syncing.

The same nightmare is true for music and videos. Apple just wants to sell you their drm crap media instead so they've made it as painful as possible to put your own media on their devices.

And now for my pre plus. Hmmm, i need to copy some pics. I plug it in and it shows up as a drive. I drag and drop and voilą, all done. Now that was painless.

Back to the iPad, I install iTunes on another computer at home. I plugin the iPad and it asks me to authorize it to sync with itunes on that computer. Ok, sure. Then it backs up the ENTIRE device, syncs, blah blah. Twenty minutes later, it is apparently synced. I unplug it and all my installed apps are gone from the iPad. Gee, thanks apple.

Frankly I am shocked at how iPod/iPhone/iPad users tolerate this horrible setup. I guess they are complete brainwashed zombies that have not used anything else to know the difference. Apple really is a cult if they can get away with such crap software.

But to be fair, netflix on the iPad is awesome. I had it tethered to my pre plus (thanks to free hotspot from verizon) and it was doing a pretty decent job at streaming some episodes of Heroes.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the pre on the forums here. I know some of you may not have messed with apple products and may bethinking that they are so great and you are missing out. Trust me, you are not. Webos really blows away the competition. If it was on a device like the iPad, it would be absolutely magnificent. Palm really needs to work on speeding it up and putting it on some newer, more powerful devices. And I really hope that a decent company like htc or lento buys palm and pumps more capital into webs development.
    The inability to play Pandora while doing other things is a valid point, but I think you're off-base with the rest of your comments.

First, you can sync individual files...just add to your library under the File drop down in iTunes. No need to add whole folders unless you want to. Music and videos are a cinch to sync as well...just add them to iTunes. Not sure what happened with your apps, as I downloaded things onto the iPad before I synced and I didn't lose any of my apps upon syncing.

I love my Pre and WebOS, but in terms of speed, functionality, and overall maturity of the devices and operating systems, iPad and the iPhone OS blow them out of the water. I hope to see WebOS do great things, but as of right now, I'm really digging the iPad.
    I played around with an iPad yesterday. I kept on wanting to swipe up to get rid of the current application...too used to webOS. I wasn't that impressed with it. If someone offered a little clip on portable keyboard to make a netbook out of it, I might think about getting one.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the pointers. Admittedly I'm new to itunes and am not a big fan of syncing things. I like to be able to copy stuff from multiple computers and get them on the device quickly. That just isn't possible with the iPad because you still have to sync. The big screen is awesome though and things are much snappier. Frankly, I think the iPad is worth about $299 for the 64 Gig version. I got the 64Gig version and was shocked at the fact that it came bare with just a charger cable and nothing else. I mean come on apple, how about some headphones at least! Not even a cloth carrying pouch or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmoons View Post
    I have never bought an apple product before and had no interest in the iPad, but my boss recently got me one. All this time I felt like I was missing out something great by not buying an iPhone or iPod, but boy, was I wrong.

Since I bought my palm pre plus, I have been absolutely in love with the os. The multitasking rocks. So when I first played around with the iPad, the first thing I did was to fire up pandora. Sure, it ran great. Then I hit the home button to find some contacts. And guess what - the music stopped. Welcome to the iPhone/iPad os. The only time pandora stops on webos is when I am on the phone.

Things got worse from there. I wanted to copy some pics to the iPad so I plugged it in to the computer via the USB cable. Oops, not recognized. Turns out I need to use iTunes. Fifteen minutes later after iTunes is installed I try to sync. The damn thing only syncs folders (to my knowledge) so I had to make a separate folder for syncing.

The same nightmare is true for music and videos. Apple just wants to sell you their drm crap media instead so they've made it as painful as possible to put your own media on their devices.

And now for my pre plus. Hmmm, i need to copy some pics. I plug it in and it shows up as a drive. I drag and drop and voilą, all done. Now that was painless.

Back to the iPad, I install iTunes on another computer at home. I plugin the iPad and it asks me to authorize it to sync with itunes on that computer. Ok, sure. Then it backs up the ENTIRE device, syncs, blah blah. Twenty minutes later, it is apparently synced. I unplug it and all my installed apps are gone from the iPad. Gee, thanks apple.

Frankly I am shocked at how iPod/iPhone/iPad users tolerate this horrible setup. I guess they are complete brainwashed zombies that have not used anything else to know the difference. Apple really is a cult if they can get away with such crap software.

But to be fair, netflix on the iPad is awesome. I had it tethered to my pre plus (thanks to free hotspot from verizon) and it was doing a pretty decent job at streaming some episodes of Heroes.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the pre on the forums here. I know some of you may not have messed with apple products and may bethinking that they are so great and you are missing out. Trust me, you are not. Webos really blows away the competition. If it was on a device like the iPad, it would be absolutely magnificent. Palm really needs to work on speeding it up and putting it on some newer, more powerful devices. And I really hope that a decent company like htc or lento buys palm and pumps more capital into webs development.
    I disagree. I have the iPad and love it. It's not meant to be a phone. It's not meant to be a laptop. People have no clue. If you want it to be a laptop, then get a laptop. Why do people over analyze what the iPad is suppose to do? It's a device for web browsing, running apps, listening to music, ad viewing photos. It's a great web browser. Sync with itunes and my macbook could not have been any easier. You do realize it's easy to setup itunes to sync ONLY what you want it to sync. All my apps are there. None lost. Only the music I wanted transferred, transferred. Again very very very simple to do. SKYPE works great on iPad. It connects quickly to my MHS on my Palm Pre.
    Needing a specific piece of software just to put stuff on your device, as the OP discusses, is really a crappy way to go about things. Lock-in sucks, even when it's apple doing it to you. Seriously, I don't see the appeal of itunes, and have no sympathy for the people who knowingly bought into it and can now not easily use any non-apple device to access their music and such.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Yeah the iPad is nice & cute. But I'd much rather have a tablet-netbook format device with a swiveling multi-touch screen hiding a keyboard underneath. The whole thing may be a bit thicker than the iPad, but it's a "sacrifice" I'll gladly make.

And I'll take Windows 7 for an OS on it until webOS can be loaded onto a tablet
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Ipad is a killer device and I love my Pre w/ mobile hotspot......perfect combo.
    The whole intention of the OP was to bash the iPad. It has nothing to do with the Palm Pre. It was about nothing else. Sure he says he like his Pre and it's OS, and he could have said just that and expounded on the qualities of the Pre. That is fine. But when someone has to create a thread slamming a product that has nothing to do with this forum, is just a fool. Why not start a thread comparing the Palm Pre to an HDTV?
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Needing a specific piece of software just to put stuff on your device, as the OP discusses, is really a crappy way to go about things. Lock-in sucks, even when it's apple doing it to you. Seriously, I don't see the appeal of itunes, and have no sympathy for the people who knowingly bought into it and can now not easily use any non-apple device to access their music and such.
    Huh, I can listen to my music on both apple and non apple devices. Do you guys actually try apple products out before you complain?
    apple sux
    The iPad and Palm Pre (+ or otherwise) are two devices never meant to compete and shouldn't be compared
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Since when were there rules about what products can and can't be compared? Maybe a list should be posted on every forum in existence and made a sticky.
    I didn't say they "can't" I said they shouldn't I mean you don't compare a laptop and a cellphone now do you? (Yes I realize the iPad isn't a laptop but it's more like one than it's like a cellphone)
    You have to be careful with iPods (and apparently the iPad) when you sync for the first time, or really, any time after that. If you choose the wrong option, it'll wipe out everything on the iPad. Same is true with iPods.........I'll plug my mom's in tomorrow, have to redo iTunes for her anyway, since I run all the music stuff off my computer over the network. You should be able to put everything back easily, but TBH, I don't know about apps, since neither of us own an iPhone/iPod Touch. I believe the options in iTunes are "merge", "replace data on device" or "replace data on computer". My guess is you didn't change from the default of "replace data on device", which, of course, wiped everything off the iPad, since you had no data on the computer...........