1.    #1  
    Taken from the CNN interview on April 8th, 2010. For those of you who haven't read that article these are the last two comments:

You beat me to the punch line on the Apple analogy, which is that Apple existed and prospered for years and years before the iPhone came along.

[Rubinstein]Yes, with two and a half percent market share. When I got to Apple the company was dying. We brought out the iMac, and the company was really successful, and then the economy cratered, and we went through a major dip, which took like two years to dig our way out of. And during that time period we invested very heavily in R&D and Wall Street was very unhappy with us, because the numbers looked ugly. But then when the economy turned, we had a bunch of really cool products ready to go, the iPod being one of them, and the company quickly scaled up to the point where the economics just made sense.

Do you dispute the analysts who say that the company has about two to three quarters financially to turn around its problems?

[Rubinstein]We’ve said we have a plan that takes us to profitability.
    I think from now on on these forums Rubinstein needs to be referred to as Superman. Who is with me? It's the positive vibe everyone needs.
    I am soooooooooooooo down!!!! SuperRUBY!!!!
    Palm is working to improve their features, functions, API, PDK, MMS. It is not Doomsday for Palm.

Look at Apple, several years ago they had everyone saying the same things that people are saying about Palm. Look at how many FAILED devices they have had over the years, remember the berry colored iMac's? Those sold like crazy, NOT!

They finally hit is big with the iPod. Tech companies have highs and lows, right now Apple is in a high. Palm is working its way back into the market. It is going to be a bumpy road, lots of competition. GO PALM!

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I have said and believe that Palm in one form or another will take it's old place as #1 or #2 in a few years.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Nice thing about PALM though is they are more open to let people do their own thing with their devices...Crapple on the other hand locks it all down and has a big ego how their $h!t is the best. iPod is nice and all, but I would take an MP3 player with a SD card anyday, its is more portable and I can switch out tons of Gigs of music off my Tablet pc without having to carry a stupid docking cable around too. That and the DRM stuff p!sses me off too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post

Look at how many FAILED devices they have had over the years, remember the berry colored iMac's? Those sold like crazy, NOT!
    Sure they did. They marked a fairly big comeback for Apple's Macintosh brand. I never liked them (I'm a PC), but they were everywhere.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 04/13/2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Palm is working to improve their features, functions, API, PDK, MMS. It is not Doomsday for Palm.

Look at Apple, several years ago they had everyone saying the same things that people are saying about Palm. Look at how many FAILED devices they have had over the years, remember the berry colored iMac's? Those sold like crazy, NOT!

They finally hit is big with the iPod. Tech companies have highs and lows, right now Apple is in a high. Palm is working its way back into the market. It is going to be a bumpy road, lots of competition. GO PALM!
    Having worked at CompUSA when the berry iMac's came out I can tell you that was the product that turned Apple around. It sold well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    OK, I have to know, which is the correct pronunciation:

RubenSTEEN or RubenSTINE ?

I've heard both quite often...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Taken from the CNN interview on April 8th, 2010. For those of you who haven't read that article these are the last two comments:

You beat me to the punch line on the Apple analogy, which is that Apple existed and prospered for years and years before the iPhone came along.

[Rubinstein]Yes, with two and a half percent market share. When I got to Apple the company was dying. We brought out the iMac, and the company was really successful, and then the economy cratered, and we went through a major dip, which took like two years to dig our way out of. And during that time period we invested very heavily in R&D and Wall Street was very unhappy with us, because the numbers looked ugly. But then when the economy turned, we had a bunch of really cool products ready to go, the iPod being one of them, and the company quickly scaled up to the point where the economics just made sense.
    When Apple released the ipod there weren't very many mainstream MP3 players, and the ones that were out, weren't very popular. MP3 players were an emerging market. The difference with the Palm of today and the Apple of yesterday is that Palm is competing in a market that is super competitive, with huge companies involved, and that is perhaps saturated. I would very much like to see Palm make a comeback, but it's a difficult situation they are in. We can already see the limitations of their small business size, as Rubenstein has alluded to in these recent interviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Having worked at CompUSA when the berry iMac's came out I can tell you that was the product that turned Apple around. It sold well.
    So did I, they also gave a SPIF for each one you sold

Maybe Palm should look into that? Money makes the world go 'round...

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    When Apple released the ipod there weren't very many mainstream MP3 players, and the ones that were out, weren't very popular. MP3 players were an emerging market. The difference with the Palm of today and the Apple of yesterday is that Palm is competing in a market that is super competitive, with huge companies involved, and that is perhaps saturated. I would very much like to see Palm make a comeback, but it's a difficult situation they are in. We can already see the limitations of their small business size, as Rubenstein has alluded to in these recent interviews.
    Yeah, I agree but who'd have thought there'd be a market for the tablet, which has been tried before and failed?

My take on this is RIM is another company in trouble if they don't do something quick. Nobody has said this yet (far as I know) but RIM is running into the same problem that PalmOS ran into. They're OS is old and needs serious updating. The web browser sucks (I know they're working on a Webkit browser) and the fact that you have to pay for all these fees from the carrier and RIM itself just to have your contacts, calendar and email sync. Things that most phones like the Pre can do out of the box for free is not good in this economy. And yes I do know about the free version of BES server but there are still other carrier fees and unless your a BES server pro you'll want to pay for support.

I mention all this above because I think there's some serious room for Palm to move into the business segment of the market and take RIM's market away but they'd have to kick DataViz in the you know what and have some business tools ready to make that jump. I think most RIM users would jump to a Pre/Pixi if it had security and the biz apps that current RIM devices have.

That's my .02