Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my gf decided to switch to sprint, meaning she'd need a new phone. She has played with my pre many times, however when i asked her which phone she was looking at buying, she said shes thinking about getting the samsung moment (her friend has a moment and she has played with it alot)

Now being a pre user on sprint since beginning of august, i have tons of "pre love". I talked to her a few times about it and tried my very best to convince her to choose the pre over the moment

After playing with my pre for a while she had a few questions to ask me.

She asked me why she should choose the pre over the moment when the pre gets laggy at times (reallly laggy - not all the times but sometimes it just slows down for no reason for a while) and the moment rarely gets laggy (unless too many apps are running in the backround).

-I told her that the updates that are coming out are fixing the pre's lag and im sure after a few more it will be on par with android.....her response was "why should i get a laggy phone that WILL get better instead of getting a phone that is already better now with the lag? I really didnt know what to say to that other then mumbling how if u keep multiple apps open it doesnt really seem as laggy

Another thing she asked me why she should choose the pre over the moment when the moment has many thousands more apps
    - I told her that apps are coming in pretty steadily and that some of the apps are better, like the 3D games.
    She asked to see the 3D games (i had just downloaded glyder 2).....however when i tried to open it, i got the Too many cards error. after asking what that is i told her that i just need to restart my phone (the garbage collector in jstop didnt work so i did a luna restart) and she said something about how dumb it is that i need to restart my phone just to play a game

Another thing she asked about was if the pre had shazaam like her friends moment....
    -again i had to answer how they are always releasing new apps and things with updates and im sure the shazaam app will be out in the next couple months

She also asked about voice dialing....shes a big user of that.
    -same as before. had to tell her itll be out in the near future

Finally she asked if there was an app that u can scan barcodes with to see the price....
    -i said yes....but the pre's camera is **** so it doesnt really work.
    To that she told me her friends moment does that pretty well with the autofocus and that he was showing it off to her.

I then said a few things to her such as how nicely the pre integrates your contacts and facebook accounts into one place. Also how AWESOME the cards were with the applications and the multitasking. and also how u can patch it to do everything it doesnt have

In the end she ended up getting a moment....
    I asked her what made her decide to get the moment over the pre and she said:

-Why should she WAIT for apps to come out when she can get a phone with 10X more apps right NOW
    -Why should she get a phone that cant do shazaam yet when the other phone shes looking at can do it NOW
    -Why should she get a phone that u have to restart to use the cool apps when on the moment u can just open them up right away.
    -While the "cards" are cool, shes had to open and close programs on her previous phones with buttons and back buttons for years.....in her opinion it really isnt that hard to do
    -And while patching is cool, why should she have to do extra work to make it do things that the other phones do right outta the box

Basically what this made me realize is that the normal consumer doesnt look at what WILL happen in the future. Unless they are a serious tech nerd, the main things they look at is what the phone can do now. They dont want a half gimped phone that will "recover" and finally get the capabilities down the line. And while cards are cool, its not like "non cards" make the phone unusable. True maybe its not as cool and easy as the pre, but its not a killing factor of non-webos phones. And the whole patching thing, the normal consumer doesnt want to HAVE to go thru stuff like that just to get the phone working the same as other phones out there.....why do more work if other phones come stock with it?

I kinda see why the pre is a turnoff to some ppl. its lack of "cool features" that other phones have makes it seem lame, as do the limited number of apps.

Im not saying im jumping ship just yet, however my gf has her moment right now and keeps on joking how her phone can do things that my phone cant and part of me does feel jealous that i dont have some of the nice apps like shazaam, autofocus for the camera, an actual google maps app that doesnt take 30 seconds to load......im willing to wait around another year and see if the pre continues to evolve (esp with the buyout that seems to be coming) at least now i kinda know why it hasnt fair so well in a see of "completed" phones.

What im saying is that the reason why palm isnt building up huge popularity like the iphone/android is because the group of ppl who are interested in potential is really small compared to ppl who just wants a phone that "works" thats why their sales have been lousy and havent been able to get traction.
    Last edited by cnote1287; 04/13/2010 at 03:51 PM.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    WebOS in itself is enough reason for me to stick around to see what happens to Palm. Sure the hardware is "old" now, and there are several "nice" features missing...but i'm more about the mobile experience than I am about the mobile features.

Obviously to each his/her own.
    Good post.

I also have iphone/android envy whenever i'm at a bar and a song comes on that i don't know the name of.

Also If i could delete the google maps app i would, utter rubbish, I stopped waiting at 20 seconds for this damn app to open.
    Why would she get the Moment over the Hero? That was dumb.

That said I think if the Pre was better looking/feeling it would have sold a lot more.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post

That said I think if the Pre was better looking/feeling it would have sold a lot more.
    she needs the keyboard. she cant type on an onscreen keyboard.
    That is so funny OP. My wife just did the same thing - got a Moment instead of the Pre. This is her first smartphone though; so, she really didnt know about bar code scanners, and apps like Shazaam. She just wanted a vertical slider like her old feature phone.

Of course, as soon as we got it home "I had to set it up" errrrr play with it. The Moment is a nice phone. A lot faster than the Pre when openning Apps and such. But man, the UI made me quickly realize that I will be devistated if webOS dies.

I cannot believe they call that multitasking! I couldnt figure out how to close apps (not sure you can) and had to download a task killer to do so. The screen doesnt always pickup my swipes. The colors seem so dull. No Pinch to Zoom. All of the settings are buried deep inside menu pages. -- Most of all, just like the iPhone, it is [touch app] [press home button] [touch app] [press home button] No swipes / gestures that make webOS so fun to navigate.

Granted, the Moment is still running Android 1.5 cupcake -- and is expected to update to 2.1. But still, the overall Android "OS" experience doesnt even compare to webOS. I still say -- take the Apps away from the iPhone and Android and just compare the OSs to webOS -- I think webOS blows away the competition -- and webOS is only at 1.4(.1.1). Imagine what 2.1 (or 4.0) will (or would) be like for webOS. I hope we get to see that.
    Amazing that your girlfriend managed to ask only questions that cut right to the heart of the Pre's shortcomings...
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Amazing that your girlfriend managed to ask only questions that cut right to the heart of the Pre's shortcomings...
    she asked other ones too like about if it supports Gmail, if it has gps......but obviously those are yes and dont mean a big deal since again all the other ones have those as well. but the pre IS missing pretty vital stuff compared to competition. and yes alot of ppl on here say "well no one uses that anyways"....but i can tell you that ALOT of ppl use stuff like shazaam and everything.
    Oh yeah I totally agree with a lot of her/your points. Especially patching-- it really shouldn't have to happen, at least not on the scale it does for webOS. Patches should be like a fun bonus, not a necessity.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    @PreJamison

Android closes apps, only when additional memory is needed. The theory, kind of like what Apple is doing in OS 4, is that the user should not worry about memory management. I see their point of view and I see Palms point of view (give the user control). In the end I am not sure which is better. I have had no extended experience on Android so I can't really compare it to the Pre. However, I do plan to be getting an EVO for at least a 30 day trial (unless Palm releases something quite amazing) and I will post a comparison.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Im waiting to get a chance to play with the HTC Evo before I decide whether to jump to Android or stick with my Pre.
    As much as it pains me, I agree with OP's post.
    She had a strong preference for the Moment so the deck was stacked against you.

Apps defintely can be sexier when someone "one-ups" you with an app you don't have.

If she texts alot watch her text next time and have some fun with her as she uses that awkward keyboard.

But you either get it or you don't. There's nothing even close to webOS out there.
    I really do no tlike the android os.. .those apps are missing but I honestly think there are more things to a smartphone than shazam and barcode scanners. The touchstone charger to me and over the air updates are just simple and work. WebOS is clearly a better OS than Android.. wait till she has issues with email on android..enjoy that..

btw funny thing about the sluggishness comments (from cnet):

THE BAD: The Samsung Moment's touch interface and controls were a little sluggish. The camera lacks editing features, call volume could be louder, and speakerphone quality was just average.
    Sounds like you've got one difficult girlfriend!
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post

But you either get it or you don't. There's nothing even close to webOS out there.
    As much as I like WebOS, this is a foolish statement. There is nothing to "get." At the end of the day your smart phone is not about being cool or hip. It is a tool you use to communicate with the world. If the Pre and WebOS does not suit someone's needs, then they should get something else. If the Pre fills your needs, then you should buy it. The Pre clearly didn't satisfy's the OP's girlfriend's needs, so she got the moment, plain and simple.

As far as the keyboard goes, don't pretend that the Pre's keyboard it the best thing ever either. It is a good keyboard that many people like, but there are a number of people out there who don't like it. That being said, some people prefer a horizontal slider. I am really not one of them, but who am I to impose my prejudices on others?

If you are trying to sell the Pre on its coolness, then it is no better than the iPhone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    So my gf decided to switch to sprint, meaning she'd need a new phone. She has played with my pre many times, however when i asked her which phone she was looking at buying, she said shes thinking about getting the samsung moment (her friend has a moment and she has played with it alot).
    First of all, are you crazy, or do you just not understand women?!? At best, you would have convinced her to get it, and she'd have been satisfied with it. What would that have gotten you? But the worst is so much worse. She might have gotten it, and then reminded you every day for the rest of your lives together (once the 30 days was past, of course) how she should have never listened to you.

I'm semi-joking, of course; but only semi. That's the thing I really don't get. Why all the effort? When my wife was ready to upgrade, she asked me what I liked about the phone. I showed her. She got a Pixi (the price didn't hurt). When my son-in-law was ready to upgrade, I showed him the same things. He wanted an Android. That's cool too..

I agree 100% - there are lots of folks that don't particularly want a Pre. I think it goes without saying that Palm/Sprint/Verizion/NameACarrier could have done better advertising, but it's certainly not something I'm going to get wound up about.

However, were my wife to say to me "Nope, I need xyz because it does jkl and the Pre doesn't", when in fact I knew that the Pre did, then I'd show her the truth.

However, one device isn't for everyone. I don't have a need (or desire) for Shazzam, but I do have multiple EAS accounts.

To each their own.
    those are nice and objective questions, very good ones.

only if the population on this Earth can ask questions like those before they decide for themselves, iPhone would have died 3 month after launch... no copy and paste, no native SDK, no keyboard, etc, etc
    why dumb?
    AMOLED screen
    faster processor
    hard keyboard + cursor keys
    optical trackpad versus trackball
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I often remind people that iphone, android, bb all start a bit buggy, limited apps, limited functionality, had lots of growing pains and so on. But the iphone didn't have a lot of competition for the experience it was giving. Android was a geeky option to start with and an iphone alternative on a different network. webOS comes in having to compete with those two and people have less tolerance for suffering through the growing pains. If the hardware had been more solid and the marketing been better, it might be a different story. But the cards have been dealt, and it is what it is. And if I'm on Sprint, why would I buy either inferior webOS device when two other carriers have the improved versions? Sprint should've just dropped the regular versions the minute the Plus came out. Might have breathed new life into some Sprint sales.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    At the end of the day your smart phone is not about being cool or hip.
    That's the point...unless you've used webOS you won't understand that the silly "gotcha" type apps which other phones have over the Pre might seem cool in the bar but don't a great phone make.
    Last edited by foosball; 04/13/2010 at 05:40 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast