Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just read what apple did with the iphone on engadget and it got me angry.. Please Palm, patent Multitasking on Cellphones!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    They can certainly patent their card interface but not multi-tasking itself I don't think.
    they have enough patents to build a bridge with. When XYZ company buys out palm, their patents will go along with it. At this point I don't think there would be a viable benefit to purchase a 'multitasking' patent.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    They can certainly patent their card interface but not multi-tasking itself I don't think.
    why not? apple patented a rectangle touchscreen
    Prior art... Multitasking on smartphones has been done before... Just not as smoothly as with the webOS card interface. Windows Mobile has done it for some time now. Always tons of tasks running in the background after you start things and start more things. I remember having to kill tasks when the web browser wouldn't display things for me on my WM Palm Treo's.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    why not? apple patented a rectangle touchscreen
    To be fair, Apple patented the look and design elements of the iPhone. Interpretation of a patent like this boils down to whether or not a competitor's device looks too similar to the iPhone. For example, the original M8 phone probably wouldn't past muster and would lose in a suit by Apple but the EVO or Nexus One would likely be viewed as sufficiently different in design.
    You can't patent something like multi-tasking. You can patent a process/interface that achieves it. Kind of like not being able to patent e-mail, but patenting a service interface that performs that task (ie: outlook vs. thunderbird)
    Quote Originally Posted by pablosbrain View Post
    Prior art... Multitasking on smartphones has been done before... Just not as smoothly as with the webOS card interface. Windows Mobile has done it for some time now. Always tons of tasks running in the background after you start things and start more things. I remember having to kill tasks when the web browser wouldn't display things for me on my WM Palm Treo's.
    Windows Mobile CE was multi-tasking in the late 90s!

The card interface is nice- but have you seen how the evo handles multitasking? Screen pinch zooms out and shows all open apps in their own little window. I obviously havent used it yet but it seems like the card interface has already been one up'ed!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Windows Mobile CE was multi-tasking in the late 90s!

The card interface is nice- but have you seen how the evo handles multitasking? Screen pinch zooms out and shows all open apps in their own little window. I obviously havent used it yet but it seems like the card interface has already been one up'ed!
    that's not apps you should learn a bit about it that's the evo's 5 homescreens
    I have read in several places that it is a multitasking engine as well.

Sprint's HTC EVO 4G: 5 Killer Features - PCWorld

and;

HTC EVO 4G by Sprint is a Powerhouse Smartphone | Top Tech Reviews
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    No the multitasking is done in the background if you've ever used android for even a minute you would see that
    I have used android extensively but not leap.

Im just telling you what the articles say. But clearly this is a touchy subject for you so lets just say your right to avoid a tantrum.
    I have used android extensively but not leap.

Im just telling you what the articles say. But clearly this is a touchy subject for you so lets just say your right to avoid a tantrum.
    I am right and this is from one of the "sources" you got your info from
    In addition, the HTC Evo handles multitasking by using a new feature called “Leap Essentials.” It works by pinching the home screen and then showing up to seven different thumbnails of pages you have open.
    God, I hope not! All these patents for ridiculous things that are ALREADY being commonly used should be invalid! The problem is the companies have a ton of money and lawyers and "experts" and the patent office has about none of any of those.
    @063_xobx luv your avatar LMAO.....
    You'd be surprised at what can be patented. A patent lawyer, as an exercise to teach his son about patents, once patented a certain method of swinging on a playground swing. However, any patent lawyer will tell you, getting the patent is only part of the battle, you have to be able to defend the patent as well.
    I remember that story here's what they put on the patent
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6368227.html
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You can't patent something like multi-tasking. You can patent a process/interface that achieves it. Kind of like not being able to patent e-mail, but patenting a service interface that performs that task (ie: outlook vs. thunderbird)
    Not true. You can patent multi-tasking as long it is written code on a readable medium. That is you can not to patent the concept of multi-tasking but if you have programmable code on a memory stick that allows you to multi-task then this patentable.

The enablement statute requires a physical product or a process that results in a change to a physical product/entity. That is why all software claims include language that says on a readable medium.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You'd be surprised at what can be patented. A patent lawyer, as an exercise to teach his son about patents, once patented a certain method of swinging on a playground swing. However, any patent lawyer will tell you, getting the patent is only part of the battle, you have to be able to defend the patent as well.
    Thats exactly right. The original patent to multi-tasking is probably out of term. I'm only speculating but it was probably was microsoft who patented multitasking. The way the claims are written would include not only desktop computers but any sort of computing device. Since, multitasking at the time was completely novel the Patent office would have granted such a broad claim.

Does this stop other companies from patenting multitasking? No. The method of multitasking has evolved since then. Surely each company has figured out a different method of mutlitasking on different OS's and one might be superior to others. So Apple can have a patent to multitasking and Palm probably has theirs. Each would result in a similar outcome but each company would also argue that their method is superior to others and arrives at the mutlitasking quite differently.

These broad claims are what make Palms patent portfolio so powerful. Because, they were the first to the smartphone market, their claims would be broadest claims which would give the strongest arsenal to defend their products and to stop other companies from creating very similar products.
    One thing I love about my Pre is that it can be operated fully with one hand. I haven't seen how Android handles multitasking, but I can't think of a way to hold the phone and pinch the screen one-handed without risking carpal tunnel or something. With webOS and gestures, it's all done with my thumb.

And honestly...as a developer, when I see iPhone apps with their "back" buttons on each screen, it makes me smile.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast