1.    #1  
    When text messaging via the Palm Pre, if the text message is lengthy, it will break it up (for example 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3). Is there anyway for my text to remain together as 1 text vice sending out three different texts to someone elses phone? All other phones that I have had let you type as long of text msg you like and goes to the recipient as 1 txt msg vice several.

Is there a fix for this and if not, will one be developed?:confused
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    no this is a general standard for all SMS messages regardless of the phone, it can only send 160 characters per message. (sometimes less depending on your phone)
  3.    #3  
    As I see it, the Palm Pre does not even give you 150 characters. Do you think there will be any changes to this? I know verizon phones can send lengthy text msgs without the breaks as I see in the palm pre by sprint.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    apply the "character counter" patch and you will see the pre does give the full 160 characters.

and this is a mobile standard, its not specific to carriers, your verizon phone might not have shown the breaks but your recipient probably recieved it as multiple texts.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetd4u View Post
    As I see it, the Palm Pre does not even give you 150 characters. Do you think there will be any changes to this? I know verizon phones can send lengthy text msgs without the breaks as I see in the palm pre by sprint.
    I just noticed that Sprint must have changed their protocols on SMS. I now get messages split by sprint that come across with 0001/0002 and 0002/0002. Anyone else noticing this with SMS?
    the breaking point is 160 characters which the pre does -- there is a patch to count the characters. on the 755p i had before this it would not notify you that you went over 160 until you sent the meassage and if you were sending out of network it would truncate the message to 160 period.. also no matter what your phone shows on it the system will not accept more that 160 characters on a text so if you send longer the recepient will either get multiple texts or truncated versions

rob
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetd4u View Post
    It is 160 with Sprint and everyone else. When I get texts from Vrzn users it is broken up as well. The only way I have ever seen combined texts longer than 160 was when a message was sent with a picture. I used to be able to use 1,000 characters with picture mail but with the Pre pics and SMS are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimick View Post
    apply the "character counter" patch and you will see the pre does give the full 160 characters.
    This patch is great but has not been updated since 1.4.1. The messaging app itself does pop up a number '2' (or 3 etc.) on the send button when you go over 160 which is kinda nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    I just noticed that Sprint must have changed their protocols on SMS. I now get messages split by sprint that come across with 0001/0002 and 0002/0002. Anyone else noticing this with SMS?
    Just did a test and mine still does the (1 of 2) (2 of 2).. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Just did a test and mine still does the (1 of 2) (2 of 2).. .
    That is for MMS i think. I receive SMS text messages from a paging system that goes through sprint's 10-digit dial-up. The way those are sent, I get the 0001/0002 stuff..
    I cut and pasted from a web page and it took 2 messages and now I am having a problem with messages to that person. I can't see the message I'm texting but the person says their getting them. And I can't see some messages just blank page or delete them. I can swipe to delete and the delete and cancel comes up but nothing happens. Any input would be great. Thanks
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    The standard 160 characters is arbitrary. It would be nice if the carriers would either change SMS to allow long texts or if they developed and standardized a protocol for long texts.

Why they persist in arbitrary limits is beyond comprehension.