Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious if anyone knows if the Ipad will be able to tether with the Palm Pre? This way If I got one, I wouldn't have to buy the 3g one. Any ideas? Anyone tried this?
    Can't see any reason why not, it's a mobile hotspot same as any other from that side of things.
    should be fine, althou personally I wouldn't go for an iPad.
    Tethering to the ipad works just fine.

I recently picked up a ipad and it runs nice and smooth off of the pres moble gotspot app.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Tethering is by far the best feature on my Pre. Went on a trip relying completely on Pre tethering to serve internet. We had 4 devices running off it. Laptop, 2 disabled iPhones and iPad. Everything worked fine but I'm definitely feeling I should have got 3G iPad. The phone tether works as expected but it did get hot and would randomly reboot and it didn't always let calls through.
    I've tried MyTether with my wife's iPad. Works suprisingly well.
    I've been getting some strange behavior running hotspot on a sprint pre. i test bandwidth and have around say 1300 kbs; then i run hotspot and retest and my bandwidth drops to around 400-500 kbs. i tether ipad and it tests at around 100-200 kbs. not a usable solution in my mind. i turn off hotspot and my test on the pre jumps back up to 1100 - 1350 kbs.

i wonder if sprint could be doing something upstream to throttle the throughput if the system detects tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by gthsii View Post
    I've been getting some strange behavior running hotspot on a sprint pre. i test bandwidth and have around say 1300 kbs; then i run hotspot and retest and my bandwidth drops to around 400-500 kbs. i tether ipad and it tests at around 100-200 kbs. not a usable solution in my mind. i turn off hotspot and my test on the pre jumps back up to 1100 - 1350 kbs.

i wonder if sprint could be doing something upstream to throttle the throughput if the system detects tethering.
    I don't thisnk that those speed testing sites are designed for accurate mobile internet tests. If it seems fast enough as your using it, then great. I wouldn't get too hung-up on what a speed test site measuers alone...
    Yes it works, I have an ipad, however it runs VERY SLOW, just like it does on the ipod touch/iphone. Tested with the native iphone app (speedtest.net), I get a consistent 150kb/s downloads (or 18kB/s if you look at it that way) with uploads of about twice that, and a ping between 300 and 500ms.

This is with full bars, and in multiple locations. I've tried it with several pres, several ipads, and several ipod touches/iphones. It's always the same. Very very slow downloads.

Note that in these same locations, I get 800 - 1000kb/s downloads on my mac with mobile hotspot, and under 100ms pings.

Yes it works, but it feels like having a 56k connection all over again. Downloading apps is a pain, pictures take forever and a day to load, and streaming video is just impossible. It's really only usable for simple browsing and email and things like that. I'm not the only one having this problem either, there have been other threads about it for the ipod touch.

Maybe it's apple's way of getting back at palm for the itunes sync fiasco. I don't regret getting my ipad, it's amazing, but I was aware of the speed issue beforehand because of my ipod..
    Quote Originally Posted by shyguy View Post
    Yes it works, I have an ipad, however it runs VERY SLOW, just like it does on the ipod touch/iphone. Tested with the native iphone app (speedtest.net), I get a consistent 150kb/s downloads (or 18kB/s if you look at it that way) with uploads of about twice that, and a ping between 300 and 500ms.

This is with full bars, and in multiple locations. I've tried it with several pres, several ipads, and several ipod touches/iphones. It's always the same. Very very slow downloads.

Note that in these same locations, I get 800 - 1000kb/s downloads on my mac with mobile hotspot, and under 100ms pings.

Yes it works, but it feels like having a 56k connection all over again. Downloading apps is a pain, pictures take forever and a day to load, and streaming video is just impossible. It's really only usable for simple browsing and email and things like that. I'm not the only one having this problem either, there have been other threads about it for the ipod touch.

Maybe it's apple's way of getting back at palm for the itunes sync fiasco. I don't regret getting my ipad, it's amazing, but I was aware of the speed issue beforehand because of my ipod..
    Sorry to hear. again, I'm using MyTether on a Sprint Pre and get 500k minimum, 700k agerage on my iPod Touch or iPad
    I'm trying to figure it out myself. both mobile hotspot and mytether were only giving me 200Kbps on my iPad. I've webos Doctor the phone but still no luck. Sprint 1.4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    I'm trying to figure it out myself. both mobile hotspot and mytether were only giving me 200Kbps on my iPad. I've webos Doctor the phone but still no luck. Sprint 1.4.1
    ever consider that you just may not be getting a good EVDO signal? Full bars doesn't always mean your getting 3G data at the fullest speed possible.
    You know, I think we should probably clarify. Maybe it's just me, but when I see tether I think wired first, even though we sort of call the others tethering too.

So the three options the Pre supports for sharing connections (depending on what software you're using of course):
    USB Tethering: Won't work.
    Bluetooth PAN: Not sure but maybe someone who has one can answer.
    Wifi Mobile Hotspot: Will work.

But if all you're wondering is if you can use your Pre to get the iPad on the internet, then of course the answer is yes.
  14.    #15  
    Ok thats cool. I'm with Bell but got tethering working and tried my PC with it. Seemed fairly fast for web browsing. It's nice to know I can use it if regular wifi isn't available.
    Absolutely! I have both and it's a match made in heaven. I just turn on wireless hotspot and connect the iPad to it like any other wireless router.
    Yes you can.. But like a few posts above, its definitely slower.. Don't know why.

I own an iPad as well and was going to use my Pre as a hotspot for when I was in a pinch, but its awfully slow compared to when I tether my PC.

Needless to say I'm somwhat torn with the iPad.. It may get returned or switched for 3g.. or... returned.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I don't thisnk that those speed testing sites are designed for accurate mobile internet tests. If it seems fast enough as your using it, then great. I wouldn't get too hung-up on what a speed test site measuers alone...
    In the cases I have seen, the connection seemed slower, which is why I tested the speed. Pretty weak.

That's why I've been considering the 3G models. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to that, but it would be nice to stream YouTube or something without mad stuttering.

Maybe the speed issue is part of the wifi issues that some iPad users have been experiencing.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    In the cases I have seen, the connection seemed slower, which is why I tested the speed. Pretty weak.

That's why I've been considering the 3G models.
    3G on the Pre itself has been very fast but tethered devices like my iPad/iPhone crawl at 200kbs. And for me, what good is a fast connection when the Pre is so limited on apps that my productivity is reliant on my disabled iPhone/iPad.

The iPad 3G looks appealing because you'll get full speeds (ATT actually is improving) but if 4G lives up to the hype then a. EVO 4G + iPad may be a good combo.
    Last edited by Urkel; 04/14/2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Same problem.

My Tether to mac mini= 1.2mbps
    My Tether to iPad= 400kbps

*** is going on with the iPad???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast