1.    #1  
    Okay so on saturday I went to Verizon to get a new phone. I've had the LG Dare for awhile and decided it was time for a smartphone. When I get there the salesman kept pushing th driod, but I can't stand andriod and its way too big for me. So he kept showing me around and didn't once mention the Pre. I've been pretty intrested in it for awhile and I asked how he thought the Pre was. He didn't really say anything and just walked me over to it. I used it for literally two minutes and fell in love. When I brought it home though I had nothing but problems. It restarted itself twice and it was really buggy. I reset the device and it works great now (for the most part) and I fell back in love. It does seem to be a little sluggish sometimes so I've been considering overclocking it. Does it really make that much of a difference? And my battery barley lasts me through the day so would it be worth it? And last can you uninstall this overclock? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I'm new too ll of this.
    the over clocking from what I hear makes a huge difference,i myself am happy with the stock speed. Battery life with overclock is a crap shoot. Some say it's better,,most say it's worst but worth it. All pre's I guess are different. Good luck to you and enjoy.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    First, make sure you are running the latest webOS version available for Verizon Pre+.
    Click on 'updates' app to check.

Learn about WOSQI and Preware.

As far as overclocking is concerned, you can easily do it using WOSQI. Search for details in this forum. Unistalling is just a click away.
    I would def score a touchstone charger as well... its pricey but you got a great deal on teh phone at vz anyway. I have two... one for my office and one by the bed..phone is pretty much charging non stop. As for the overclock... I think you should check out the vid on youtube. I still think vz is behind a patch level which may also help some speed issues you see.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Overclocking does make a big difference. And the battery should improve after a few charges, but not that much. I would get an extended battery. Then, you will have your stock one as a back up! I don't know if Verizon has some of the same problems as the Sprint version, but the battery is a major case of random restarts. The battery sits to loose in the phone. Easy fix. Place a piece of electrical tape (cause it's black, like the battery) and place it at the top of the battery. (opposite of connection) Good Luck!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm guna go pick up a touchstone and give the overclocking a try. If its that easy to unistall then I dont see why not.
    As mentiined, it takes at least a few days to get your phone and battery running to it's best efficiency. Additionally your phone will have to re-adjust after the upcoming 1.4.1.1 update which should also improve battery life.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Since she just got the phone, I think it would be best to update to 1.4 if it's not already. That will help a bit.
    Probably worth adjusting the screen brightness as well if you havent... I actually set my screen to its dimmest setting bc its still plenty bright. Also, the email settings seem to make a big difference for battery life. I have 4 email accounts and changing them to on demand sync vs "as items arrive" has made a big difference. Of course it depends on how you need to use the phone but just some random ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleee View Post
    Okay so on saturday I went to Verizon to get a new phone. I've had the LG Dare for awhile and decided it was time for a smartphone. When I get there the salesman kept pushing th driod, but I can't stand andriod and its way too big for me. So he kept showing me around and didn't once mention the Pre. I've been pretty intrested in it for awhile and I asked how he thought the Pre was. He didn't really say anything and just walked me over to it. I used it for literally two minutes and fell in love. When I brought it home though I had nothing but problems. It restarted itself twice and it was really buggy. I reset the device and it works great now (for the most part) and I fell back in love. It does seem to be a little sluggish sometimes so I've been considering overclocking it. Does it really make that much of a difference? And my battery barley lasts me through the day so would it be worth it? And last can you uninstall this overclock? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I'm new too ll of this.
    Welcome to the forums BTW!

Now that we got that out of the way a few things will most likely help your battery life considerably: If you're really wanting to use it for texting/phone use, add the "toggle data connection in top menu" (something like that). To do this, you must enable developer mode on your phone.

Steps to enable developer mode:

When you're in card view (when you can see views of multiple cards), start typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" and a little icon should popup from the abyss. Click on it, and it should bring up a card with a developer mode toggler. Toggle it to on, hit restart device, and restart. Alright, now that developer mode is enabled, hook up your phone to you're computer (the charger cord doubles as a USB cord if you haven't noticed), and download webOS QuickInstall: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-02-a.html

From there, you can either add the tweaks yourself or install preware to do them from your phone. I prefer using quick install, but whatever. Anyways, you should figure out how to do that (search the forums, or search the front page; or google).

One thing I do to maximize battery life is switch the data connection from Ev-Do (3G) to 1X (Ev-Do really kills the battery life). To do this, pull up the phone app, and type in: ##EVDO# (##3836#) and switch the radio settings to 1xRTT. If you don't like it, switch back to Hybrid Rev A.

As noted in a previous post, turn the screen brightness down.

If you don't use GPS that much, disable GPS: go to the 3rd launcher page, tap "location services" and toggle Auto Locate to off.

Another small thing you can do is switch WiFi to turn off when the screen turns off if it is not being used: Back in the 3rd launcher page, hit Wifi, and tap the top left menu. Go to sleep settings and change "When phone sleeps" to "turn wifi off."

Hope these helped!
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Probably worth adjusting the screen brightness as well if you havent... I actually set my screen to its dimmest setting bc its still plenty bright. Also, the email settings seem to make a big difference for battery life. I have 4 email accounts and changing them to on demand sync vs "as items arrive" has made a big difference. Of course it depends on how you need to use the phone but just some random ideas.
    +1

You can find some more info here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Overclocking my Pre to 800 was the best thing I've done. It extended my battery life, decrease sluggishness, greatly reduced the infamous 'too many card errors', and decreased the load time of my apps. And now we have free Mobile Hotspot!

More so; the people here are so willing to help out with any problems that I've had. Thank you and because of you guys.....I love my Pre!
    One trick to maximize battery life: turn down the screen backlight down to the darkest you feel tolerable. This makes a big difference on any device with an LCD screen.

To me, the highest brightness of the Pre was still too bright for me (maybe my eyes are a little more sensitive?) I had to install the reduce minimum brightness patch.

As for the sluggishness, I've never overclocked my Pre. I'm on Sprint, on which 1.4.1.1 is already available. 1.4.1.1 makes everything sliky smooth (excluding Google maps, anyways) So once that update is out for Verizon, try using it without overclocking, maybe you don't need anymore
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Since she just got the phone, I think it would be best to update to 1.4 if it's not already. That will help a bit.
    Lol I'm actually a guy. I tried to make my name kyle then kylee but both were taken. I just realized now that it looks like kylie...anyways yeah I got 1.4 and it's pretty buggy idk why it seemed to be better on the previous one.