Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

thank you mytether
    said it before and I'll say it again. If someone could put the WebOS on a Droid and still have the gestures work. I would pay good money for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I too went from the Pre to the Hero and back to the Pre. Nothing competes with WebOS at the moment in my opinion.

To be fair though, the Hero is running an extremely old version of Android. 2.1 is a huge step forward versus the Hero's 1.5. But that was another thing that I despised about Android--the only way to stay current with the software is to buy brand new hardware. The fragmentation is ridiculous and frustrating.
    There are many folks who have rooted the Android phones, so you can load the ROM of your choice.

It is ridiculous to say that you have to buy brand new hardware to stay current with the software.

Even the old, first Android phone G1 can be rooted to run Android 2.1

As a diehard, old Palm user, I find the Android bashing in this thread to be amusing.

WebOS is slick, no doubt about it. But Android has many slick and cool features that I enjoy and appreciate.

With the way WebOS seems to be dying, Android may be the next best thing, compared to Win Mobile 7 (won't do copy / paste, won't run legacy apps), or Iphone OS 4.0.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Accuweather uses GPS and also uses radar and other things like that....and its free.
    Most of the weather apps on webOS use GPS to get your location for current conditions, but none of them provide a good map with radar and other info. Right now I'm using an app on Android called "imap weather". It basically takes Google Maps and allows you to overlay radar, current conditions, and lightning. It tracks your exact location and you can zoom in right down to street level. None of the apps that I know of on webOS come close to this.

I do realize that this isn't really a big deal for most people, but I'm a Skywarn storm spotter so this is huge to me. I'm just using this as an example of how apps seem to have more detail and functionality on Android.

There are some apps I like better on webOS, too. For example, I think the "Checkbook" app on webOS is far better than any of the similar apps I've found on Android. I also like the email and messaging better on webOS.

I have a brand new Pre (replacement from Best Buy) sitting in the box. I've actually thought about switching back to the Pre and then tethering my Moment with My Tether or MHS. That way I would have everything that is great about webOS and still be able to use the apps I like on Android.
    I have both and i'll say this. The apps in the app store for the pre seem to just work and on android I find a lot of apps force close for no apparent reason. WebOS wins there.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I have both and i'll say this. The apps in the app store for the pre seem to just work and on android I find a lot of apps force close for no apparent reason. WebOS wins there.
    I would have to agree there. Most apps seem to work great, but I've found a few that just won't work on my Moment. Not sure if some apps just don't like certain devices or if it's because some are running 2.1 and some are still on 1.5. To be fair, there are definitely some buggy apps on webOS too. One good thing about Android is that Google Checkout let's you "return" apps within 24 hours for a refund. It would be nice if Palm would implement something like this in the App Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    Right now I'm using an app on Android called "imap weather". It basically takes Google Maps and allows you to overlay radar, current conditions, and lightning. It tracks your exact location and you can zoom in right down to street level

I do realize that this isn't really a big deal for most people, but I'm a Skywarn storm spotter so this is huge to me. I'm just using this as an example of how apps seem to have more detail and functionality on Android.
    imap weather and weather bug are the joe bast@rdi of the mobile weather right now. great job kd0axs. you should really look at joining ams at the local university my friend.

lol to say android has the joe *******i of weatherapps i think it will be funny to show the picture of the famous meteorologist
    Attached Images Attached Images

thank you mytether
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I switched from palm pre to HTC-hero and im so unhappy lol. I thought android was a good os. This is junk compare to the webos. The phone is definatley a step up in hardware and feel but android sucks lol. I did not expect the os to be this clunky and confusing. It does everything the pre does but its just not as smoothly thought out. I need htc to buy palm now and fix this issue. This is not on par with webos. So far everything android does the pre did better. Im giving it a week. If im still unhappy after that its going on ebay. Now im not even looking forward to the htc evo. I've had 6 pre's already. This sucks.
    Agreed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12