Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From my understanding Dev Mode can become a security risk when left on. It is advisable to turn it off when not needed just to be safe.

Read step #4. http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps
    Last edited by vza33; 04/12/2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added link
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  2.    #22  
    Thanks everyone, I turned it off.

And the lock screen went all weird on me too, while in Dev mode, it was like the yellow lock was just floating on the regular screen. I didn't like it at all.
    I had my DEV mode on since i got my launch day pre. I doubt it affects battery life or else we would of heard something about it doing so by now
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I must be crazy, because i'm CERTAIN that my pre is less stable when dev mode's on. It's only ever done luna restarts and the lock screen with no background thing while in dev mode, never ever when dev mode's off.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    I leave it on, turning it on and off requires a restart, who has 10 mins to waste every time they need to use wosqi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellz625 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I turned it off.

And the lock screen went all wjeird on me too, while in Dev mode, it was like the yellow lock was just floating on the regular screen. I didn't like it at all.
    This was a bug in 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    From my understanding Dev Mode can become a security risk when left on. It is advisable to turn it off when not needed just to be safe.

Read step #4. http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps
    I think Dev Mode only activates/deactivates the Novacom service. It's just for via USB, no?

Let me try nmapping my phone tonight.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    This was a bug in 1.4
    but how come it only ever happened in dev mode?

it also happened in dev mode in 1.4.1
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I've had mine in Dev mode for 3 weeks now...
    i've had mine on (on all FOUR of my pres) since the day I got it/them.

I haven't had any issues from it...just all the other issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I think Dev Mode only activates/deactivates the Novacom service. It's just for via USB, no?

Let me try nmapping my phone tonight.
    From what I've read Dev mode opens ports to allow access to the root of your phone.Which it not password protected.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    From what I've read Dev mode opens ports to allow access to the root of your phone.Which it not password protected.
    it opens ports through USBNet... There's no wat to wirelessly root a stock pre... You'd have to install something through quick install or preware... And with that installed, dev mode wouldn't have to be on to ssh into root.
    I seem to get a lot more TMC errors when I leave dev mode on so I've recently been keeping it off. Sucks having to reboot when I need to use QI but it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I seem to get a lot more TMC errors when I leave dev mode on so I've recently been keeping it off. Sucks having to reboot when I need to use QI but it's worth it.
    Might be something else causing this issue, my Pre has been in developer mode since Oct. and I never get the TMC error.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12