Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wonder with Palm trying to find a buyer, wonder if the updates will take longer in the future and if there will be fewer of them?
    The thought had crossed my mind too. Yet I am very happy that we got the updates to this point. It is fairly complete and does have the video camera at least.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    There's nothing official. If it's official you would see it on investor.palm.com.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    WebOS is the biggest asset that Palm has. If someone purchases Palm and decides to not maintain and enhance WebOS and allow Palm to release new WebOS hardware then they are completely insane.

In other words, I don't think we have anything to worry about.
    Three people whispering to Bloomberg doesn't make it official.
    i don't forsee any future updates
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    IF palm is for sale, and they are actually bought, this would include the purchase of WebOS, great things will come to WebOS phones. If HTC were to buy Palm, they could drop all windows and android based devices and transform their market to sell solely webos devices....HTC already makes some of the best phone out there...could you imagine The HTC Evo wtih WebOS....apple would be eaten alive....
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Just think about it!
    When, not if, someone buys Palm, they are paying for Palm's OS, Hardware Design, Patents Name/Reputation and R&D capability and what they can do with them. They are going to continue to enhance what they bought! Not eliminate it!! There will continue to be Web OS updates and enhancements to increase the value of their purchase. Palm, currently, is not a big enough competitor to buy them and put them to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    I wonder with Palm trying to find a buyer, wonder if the updates will take longer in the future and if there will be fewer of them?
    When did Palm "officially" go on the block? Is Bloomberg now the official spokesperson for Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    When did Palm "officially" go on the block? Is Bloomberg now the official spokesperson for Palm?
    A good defender to the end
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The validity of Bloomberg doesn't invalidate the discussion topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    IF palm is for sale, and they are actually bought, this would include the purchase of WebOS, great things will come to WebOS phones. If HTC were to buy Palm, they could drop all windows and android based devices and transform their market to sell solely webos devices....HTC already makes some of the best phone out there...could you imagine The HTC Evo wtih WebOS....apple would be eaten alive....
    I really can't see a scenario where they completely drop both Android and Windows Mobile (particularly WP7, unless it turns out bad).
    would a merger make more sense? Merge with HTC to get better hardware and a superb phone or with lenova and get a quality phone with a likely chance of seeing Web OS on a tablet as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You do understand that he wasn't actually "defending" Palm. He was merely stating the entirely valid fact that this remains a rumor until there's some official confirmation.

Of course, you can't pass up an opportunity to poke fun at someone for being positive about Palm, even if you have to invent it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    The problem with Palm is that its value is more in Palms patents and portions of the OS. But the hardware is flawed in so many ways that IF they get acquired then it would make more sense to ditch the current users and start from scratch. Again.

Now, as for Pre users then here's where we get screwed. The product in our hands isn't finished. My iPhone no longer has ATT service, but it is solid hardware and has such a stable OS that I still carry it around daily and (with the help of MyTether) it is a fully functional device. Games, Communications, Internet, Email, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Photo Editing, Camera etc make this "disabled" device just as important than my Pre.

But what about WebOS products? Sure, IF we move on then how useful is the Pre in its current state? It's still a buggy device with numerous functionality and performance issues that demand an update. And if that update never comes then is anyone going to carry it as an "everything but a phone" device? Are you going to be able to sell it on Ebay without lying on your ad?

Even my iPhone 3G is getting chopped from multitasking in iPhone OS 4, but it still will benefit from numerous other OS updates and continued app availability so we can't dismiss the importance of quality updates from a stable parent company.

Great products die all the time and the Pre is definitely a great product. But so many mistakes were made from the start that IF Palm doesn't survive then Pre-life without updates will be tough.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    would a merger make more sense? Merge with HTC to get better hardware and a superb phone or with lenova and get a quality phone with a likely chance of seeing Web OS on a tablet as well?
    I'm still rooting for Nintendo to implement WebOS into their mobile gaming strategy. Multitasking + Mario = Money.

As for tablets, swooshy effects and multitasking is nice but a company needs to have either a full OS or a ton of apps in order to succeed. WebOS on HTC seems the more reasonable thing to do. Get good hardware and a good OS and worry about branching out to other markets much much later.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Defending what??? Under the right circumstances, Palm being bought would be a good thing. If the purchasing company lets them continue making the devices, and puts some sorely needed cash into the company, I'm all for at.

However, if you're talking about me defending using the language correctly, I plead guilty.

Palm my be for sale (not many things aren't); however, words have meaning. Palm is not "officially" for sale.
    I think that overall, the update speed and all of that won't change until the very end. I mean, there's no reason for them to stop improving their OS that a potential suitor may or may not want.

The biggest problem they'll have is keeping the troops rallied. As someone who worked at a company when rumors of this sort kept persistently floating around, it's just mentally draining wondering what's going to happen to it, if you're going to get laid off, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You do understand that he wasn't actually "defending" Palm. He was merely stating the entirely valid fact that this remains a rumor until there's some official confirmation.

Of course, you can't pass up an opportunity to poke fun at someone for being positive about Palm, even if you have to invent it.
    Actually, it's worse than that. I was neither being positive nor negative about Palm. It's amazing the level of animosity some build up over others liking what they have.

My daughter and son-in-law both have iPhones. I don't mind at all. One of my other daughters has a BlackBerry (for that matter, so do I, a Storm 2 charging on my desk as we speak), it doesn't bother me that she chose that, or that the agency I work for uses BB's exclusively. I suppose I'll never figure out the level of immaturity it takes to dislike someone because of a product they like.

I probably should keep secret the fact that I still listen to the Kingston Trio.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast