Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    On a side note, it does seem like my luck that I would buy something and it would immediately lose official support XD
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I don't think Santa has either the funds or the expertise to adequately support webOS. I think it would just end up a glitzy, overly-small, mass-produced POS. Plus, I'm not sure which list I'm on...
    Must be bad

hahaha
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    well...

first i'd like to say that the thread was more fun before the grown ups started posting.

second, i'd like to say that we don't matter - whatever happens happens and we benefit or benefit not.

third, i'd like to point everyone to tyco - and it's methodology behind snatching up large security, fire, and sprinkler systems. That sort of talent isn't limited in business type.

and - you guys must have been hell around christmas season as kids. Must have had a speculation bucket by the bed for those moments when you became overwhelmed.

oh, yeah, to the creepy guy that said santa couldn't handle palm - you know nothing of the great claus.
    Wow, he is a little creepy himself isn't he?
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    I love my Pre, even if Palm fails I will keep my Pre till it stops working.

"I am on a launch day Pre"

Sorry Herbert, I can't be the only one thinking this, but just how long did it take you to graduate High School?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You know, sometimes it's kinda fun talking right over their heads. Almost like a code thing. Reminds me of when I was in HS and in my early 20's, and at parties I'd hold "conversations" with drunk people (I don't drink, and didn't then either). It's amazing how they thought they were saying things realy profound and insightful. I always had a blast repeating to them what they said.

Fortunately for them, they sobered up and finally understood. I don't think VickMacey has an option there...
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyarmel View Post
    On a side note, it does seem like my luck that I would buy something and it would immediately lose official support XD
    We aren't related are we? Seems to happen that way in my family all the time. And it never used to happen to my wife until we got married, now it happens to her too. (Doubly so since she also has a Pre :P )
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Sorry Herbert, I can't be the only one thinking this, but just how long did it take you to graduate High School?
    We moved around when I was a kid, so I had to drop a lot of classes (I went to 24 different public schools before I finished). It took me the regular approx 9 months, like most folks. I graduated when I was 17, but had we not moved so much, forcing me to drop 6 class credits, I would have skipped my senior year.

I suspect you wonder because of I mentioned HS, then my early 20's. I went to a small church college. There were a few "partiers", but I wasn't part of the group. That made 17-21 pretty much "booze party free".

More than happy to fill in the details, but I find the fascination a bit puzzling...
    It is ok to be a member of the PDF... I have even included a shirt mock-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Make it a button up (short sleeve) suitable for the office...
    I want this shirt and now!!! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

But what about WebOS products? Sure, IF we move on then how useful is the Pre in its current state? It's still a buggy device with numerous functionality and performance issues that demand an update. And if that update never comes then is anyone going to carry it as an "everything but a phone" device? Are you going to be able to sell it on Ebay without lying on your ad?
    If I were a Sprint user and wanted a phone that I could use Mobile Hotspot and tether to my Pre without issues and use EVDO speeds and only pay around $70 a month, and I saw someone selling a Pre online that has all the tweaks necessary already installed, then hell yeah i'd buy it on Ebay. No phone on Sprint does this without an extra cost or with as little trouble getting I to work. Updates be damned.
    hahaha, yes! you got me out of my 4pm daily slump!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Im not even sure where this thread has gone lol... but this is an excellent editorial on Cisco vs HTC over @ our friends webosround.com ... Palm Should Say “NO” to HTC, and “YES” to Cisco | webOSroundup
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Im not even sure where this thread has gone lol... but this is an excellent editorial on Cisco vs HTC over @ our friends webosround.com ... Palm Should Say “NO” to HTC, and “YES” to Cisco | webOSroundup
    Nice segue back. I suspect that there's more to it than Palm saying Yes (or No), but put me firmly in the "go with Cisco" camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nice segue back. I suspect that there's more to it than Palm saying Yes (or No), but put me firmly in the "go with Cisco" camp.
    Me too. And by the way, Palm, if you're listening: whatever you do, do it quickly. This uncertainty can't drag out for months. Strike that--it can't drag out for weeks. And I don't say this because it drives me batty trying to anticipate my smartphone future--I can't imagine the impact this is having on sales right now.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Hmm... didn't this thread used to have actual information in it at one point?
    does anyone know if palm continued to support updates the last time they were bought out/lisenced there os.

first I thought the rumors were palm was exploring options from buyout to lisencing, no official word from palm, so take it with a big fat "i read it online" grain of salt.

that being said, any fool can see that palm isn't kicking *** and chewing bubblegum right now, and there company status is tenuous. But, we all know that is 3 year old news, no revelations there.

in fact, the whole situation for palm isn't entirely new. And so from a support standpoint I am wondering two things.

first. What happened last time?
    I would imagine that since this has already happened to palm in the past, we might gleen some insight from looking at history, given palm has been here before and already tred the 3m route.

secondly, what does that 24 month accounting for gaap that engadget recently referred too in there iphone article about the first gen iphone not getting 4.0? Ie is the cost of support/upgrades built into palms quarterly results and is there any carryover a buyer would be held accountable too from that perspective?
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    does anyone know if palm continued to support updates the last time they were bought out/lisenced there os.
    Palm was only bought out by US Robotics at around the time of the original Pilot (and then 3com bought them and then spun off Palm). Back at that time, the devices weren't actually updateable really.

And then when Palm licensed out their OS, there were a ton of companies interested in it at first. There was Handera, Kyocera, Sony, Zodiac, just to name a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Those companies basically were starting to get annoyed that Palm had a bit of an unfair advantage because they developed the OS, and developed hardware that was competing with them, so basically that lead to the PalmSource spinoff, which is pretty much the reason for Palm's being in a tight spot now. The licensing partners started to all give up, go out of business, or move on to other products, so PalmSource never really gained any ground. PalmOne (the hardware company) didn't like the direction that PalmSource was going with with the OS in Cobalt, so they were stuck with Garnet and things just got really stagnant. They ended up having to develop their own OS anyway, and so the PalmSource spinoff ended up being basically just a complete and total waste of 2-3 years, and a ton of valuable resources.

Honestly, webOS is the first time Palm has been even close to this active in providing updates, so any track record that they have / had doesn't really apply anyway.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 04/13/2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Palm was only bought out by US Robotics at around the time of the original Pilot (and then 3com bought them and then spun off Palm). Back at that time, the devices weren't actually updateable really.

Honestly, webOS is the first time Palm has been even close to this active in providing updates, so any track record that they have / had doesn't really apply anyway.
    fair enough, I'm not that familiar with the earlier days. What about during lisencing years, likw with sony. I would imaggine a lisencing deal would encourage support on palms end if anything. How that trickles down is another story. But I would immagine it boding well for currwent webos users.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    fair enough, I'm not that familiar with the earlier days. What about during lisencing years, likw with sony. I would imaggine a lisencing deal would encourage support on palms end if anything. How that trickles down is another story. But I would immagine it boding well for currwent webos users.
    I just updated my post with more on how the licensing went, but basically licensing is arguably the cause of Palm's near financial ruin before webOS was even announced.

Even now, I'm not sure that licensing helps. I mean, Palm's biggest issues are financial as it is. Google's Android is entirely free for companies to license (and I've read some companies are even possibly getting a cut of the advertising revenue). Despite my thinking webOS is superior, it's a hard argument to pitch to a hardware company to license a less popular OS that they have to pay for, versus a much more popular OS that is free.

And even if they did convince a company to do that, I highly doubt licensing fees and app sales are enough to keep Palm afloat.

I mean, the reason everyone wants HTC to license webOS is because they are said to make superior devices, right? Well, if that's the case, who would be buying from Palm? (Similar to the Sony Clie days, where Palm was getting absolutely destroyed on the hardware side by Sony).

If they're not selling as many phones, they have to rely on the licensing fees, and I just don't think that would be enough to sustain the company. It wasn't enough for PalmSource, for example.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast