Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Besides that, you don't make a mobile phone without an OS for it to run on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Besides that, you don't make a mobile phone without an OS for it to run on.
    Yeah, if Cisco acquired Palm, I definitely can't see them scrapping WebOS. Using WinMo or Android would just make them "another player" in a crowded field. WebOS would be the only thing that would make them stand out in the crowd.

Maintaining the Palm brand would fit the M.O. they've done in the past. Even if they gradually made it become Cisco, it would be over a long period of time.
    Well, if Palm was bought for their patents, then they would drop not only webOS development, but most likely also the webOS profile/backup servers. That is what should be of greatest concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Well, if Palm was bought for their patents, then they would drop not only webOS development, but most likely also the webOS profile/backup servers. That is what should be of greatest concern.
    Eh, most of my data is in other locations on the cloud, not Palm's servers. I have no doubt that if webOS ceased to exist in any form that an alternative method would be created, whether by webOS-internals, or whatever.

What could also be interesting is if a company bought them for patents and had no plans of continuing with the OS, if they made it open-source as a gesture of goodwill towards the community. While it's unlikely that would happen, it'd still be nice.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Eh, most of my data is in other locations on the cloud, not Palm's servers. I have no doubt that if webOS ceased to exist in any form that an alternative method would be created, whether by webOS-internals, or whatever.

What could also be interesting is if a company bought them for patents and had no plans of continuing with the OS, if they made it open-source as a gesture of goodwill towards the community. While it's unlikely that would happen, it'd still be nice.
    while I have thought about that, will carriers allow it on their networks?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    well...

first i'd like to say that the thread was more fun before the grown ups started posting.

second, i'd like to say that we don't matter - whatever happens happens and we benefit or benefit not.

third, i'd like to point everyone to tyco - and it's methodology behind snatching up large security, fire, and sprinkler systems. That sort of talent isn't limited in business type.

and - you guys must have been hell around christmas season as kids. Must have had a speculation bucket by the bed for those moments when you became overwhelmed.

oh, yeah, to the creepy guy that said santa couldn't handle palm - you know nothing of the great claus.
    Last edited by tarhead; 04/12/2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: i'm old and cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    while I have thought about that, will carriers allow it on their networks?
    They wouldn't really have a choice. The only thing that can prevent a carrier from allowing it on their network is for GSM networks: if the phone is carrier-locked, it'll only be allowed on the original network, and for CDMA networks, as long as the MEID / ESN is clean and on the list of ESNs for the carrier, then there's nothing that could prevent them from activating it.
    One thing to keep in mind: if someone buys Palm, they necessarily assume all of Palm's liabilities. That's one of the reasons why buying a company is more expensive than just the value of their stock...

One of those liabilities is warranty support, as well as meeting certain expectations caused by Palm's marketing of their products to date. So, someone couldn't buy Palm and simply shutter the company, leaving people without warranty support and with non-functioning product. Since the Palm Profile is necessary for a functioning device, then the buyer would be responsible for maintaining it for some reasonable period after the last device is sold.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    oh, yeah, to the creepy guy that said santa couldn't handle palm - you know nothing of the great claus.
    I resemble that remark...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I think you guys need to remember that when a big company buys another big company, they don't just do it to fight off crap lawsuits by Apple. HTC would be a good choice. They would keep the Palm name because there has been millions of dollars invested in mind-share for the brand. It would be silly to do away with WebOS or the Palm name. I feel really secure about the future of this platform.

So much so that I just went the other day and got a new Palm Pre Plus from Verizon. The mobile hotspot is unreal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Since the Palm Profile is necessary for a functioning device, then the buyer would be responsible for maintaining it for some reasonable period after the last device is sold.
    Ah, this is true. Thanks. I guess it would then just be a debate on the definition of "some reasonable period." Does anyone know of any real-world examples of such a situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Ah, this is true. Thanks. I guess it would then just be a debate on the definition of "some reasonable period." Does anyone know of any real-world examples of such a situation?
    I can't think of any examples, but I'd say it would be at least the duration of the warranty period.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think the Feds would let Apple take over Palm to eliminate them. I really don't think they'd even let Google do so, but I'm personally more worried about Google than Apple.

If the Feds let them, Apple might do it for spite. However, they have this pride thing going, and I don't think they'd like the idea of people pointing at them and saying they squashed Palm because they knew it was better...
    I've got to agree with you on this one Hparsons. If Apple acquires Palm and then WebOS fails, Apple will be blamed forever.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I am not sure I will ever understand the mentality of those folks who come on these forums for the sole purpose of bad mouthing palm, it's products and it's business model. Like many companies they have made mistakes, and those mistakes may lead to the company being sold or perhaps even closed in the future...stuff happens. Are these naysayers CEOs large companies that could have done better? Could they have developed a better OS or hardware? Why didn't they?

Seems more likely that they are either bitter owners of a product that did not meet their needs, due to them not doing the proper research before purchase, or maybe they are just insecure fans of other products who can't promote what's good about their product and find it easeier to bad mouth other products...

Regardless, IF someone buys palm, it will, as previously pointed out be supported at least until all currently held warranty periods expire. That is certainly a better alternative than palm declaring bankruptcy and closing it's doors. I sure by the time that happens the vast majority of us will have moved on to other phones...

Will we get updates? That all depends on who buys Palm and why doesn't it? So we can discuss till the vick is happy with his phone and it will do us no good, as none of us can know...AND THAT IS OFFICIAL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You know, sometimes it's kinda fun talking right over their heads. Almost like a code thing. Reminds me of when I was in HS and in my early 20's, and at parties I'd hold "conversations" with drunk people (I don't drink, and didn't then either). It's amazing how they thought they were saying things realy profound and insightful. I always had a blast repeating to them what they said.

Fortunately for them, they sobered up and finally understood. I don't think VickMacey has an option there...
    Hee hee... I used to do the same in college. One of my favorite things was to tell intoxicated coeds how Shakespeare invented the English language, just so I could watch them shake their heads knowingly. I guess some things really don't ever change.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    WebOS is the biggest asset that Palm has.
    Ahem, sorry... I hate to object to an otherwise well-said post, but the patent portfolio is leaps and bounds more worthy as an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    If someone purchases Palm and decides to not maintain and enhance WebOS and allow Palm to release new WebOS hardware then they are completely insane.

In other words, I don't think we have anything to worry about.
    Besides the above ^^ i agree, I love and respect webOS for what it is and what it has pioneered.
    Last edited by flea; 04/12/2010 at 08:33 PM.
    They wouldn't really have a choice. The only thing that can prevent a carrier from allowing it on their network is for GSM networks: if the phone is carrier-locked, it'll only be allowed on the original network, and for CDMA networks, as long as the MEID / ESN is clean and on the list of ESNs for the carrier, then there's nothing that could prevent them from activating it.
    GSM phones can be unlocked.

Only thing stopping a GSM phone on a network is incompatible frequencies.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    GSM phones can be unlocked.

Only thing stopping a GSM phone on a network is incompatible frequencies.
    Yeah, that was my point though. They can't not activate the phone because of a software mod to skip over the Palm Profile parts or whatever. It just depends on whether it's carrier locked or not.
    Just read that a Cisco Executive VP sits on Palm's board... Hmm...
    I just got my Pre Plus a few days ago so it would be unfortunate if Palm was bought out and no future updates came. I feel thats unlikely however as WebOS seems like one of Palm's better assets so Id imagine it would continue to be developed.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast