Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Here's a good article on some of Cisco's recent consumer electronics aspirations:

Cisco's consumer electronics dream | Crave - CNET
    Well, now, hmmm... How would webOS play into such a gambit? Be interesting to see what happens...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Isn't Cisco is a WiMax / ClearWire investor as well?

Entirely wishful thinking, but if anyone was big enough to bypass the carriers entirely with a VOIP-based solution in the years to come, it might be Cisco.
    Fascinating idea. Because although Cisco retains a huge business in the Internet backbone, they've got to see the writing on the wall in terms of commercial and business access. In, say, 10 years or so, there may be no wires into the home and office--everything (including phone and video) might be wireless.

That would make the Palm acquisition a small but important part of a much larger strategy. The best thing about this, as long as we're speculating/day dreaming, is that Cisco would then have a huge incentive to make webOS a major player in the space. Just huge.
    Last edited by wynand32; 04/12/2010 at 04:57 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Entirely wishful thinking, but if anyone was big enough to bypass the carriers entirely with a VOIP-based solution in the years to come, it might be Cisco.
    Wow... when I first read what you said, I thought "why would Cisco buying Palm be 'wishful thinking'"... Then I reread it.

You might be on to something. As you said, it might be "wishful thinking", but yeah, Cisco getting involved with all of this could spell the end of carriers as a middleman. It would probably be years down the road, but it could happen.

Anyone that doubts that shakeups like that can happen needs to think back to what internet access was 4-5 years ago. Large companies would have drooled over the access speed that I have at home today.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Fascinating idea. Because although Cisco retains a huge business in the Internet backbone, they've got to see the writing on the way in terms of commercial and business access. In, say, 10 years or so, there may be no wires into the home and office--everything (including phone and video) might be wireless.

That would make the Palm acquisition a small but important part of a much larger strategy. The best thing about this, as long as we're speculating/day dreaming, is that Cisco would then have a huge incentive to make webOS a major player in the space. Just huge.
    and the financial ability to see it through.
    Fascinating idea. Because although Cisco retains a huge business in the Internet backbone, they've got to see the writing on the way in terms of commercial and business access. In, say, 10 years or so, there may be no wires into the home and office--everything (including phone and video) might be wireless.

Yeah, just updated my post on that. Apparently Cisco has a large investment / supply contract with Clearwire, though they're not concentrating on WiMax hardware anymore.

They also recently bought Starent Networks, which "makes products that manage access from 2.5G, 3G, and 4G wireless networks to a mobile operator's packet core network. Starent's products are deployed in CDMA2000 (1X, EV-DO), UMTS/HSPA, LTE, WiFi, and WiMAX networks" and are concentrating on the LTE market going forward.

There's also an intriguing quote from the company last month:

After careful review, our mobility strategy is to focus on providing a radio-agnostic IP end-to-end mobile multimedia services network. Cisco will continue to focus on the packet core and to also focus on investment in radio technologies such as femtocells and WiFi. As part of this decision, we have decided to discontinue designing and building new WiMAX base stations. We believe the best way for Cisco to serve our customers is by delivering value at the edge and the core of our customers' networks.
    From Cisco buying wireless wunderkind Starent, second multibillion dollar deal this month and Cisco exiting WiMAX RAN?
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    IF palm is for sale, and they are actually bought, this would include the purchase of WebOS, great things will come to WebOS phones. If HTC were to buy Palm, they could drop all windows and android based devices and transform their market to sell solely webos devices....HTC already makes some of the best phone out there...could you imagine The HTC Evo wtih WebOS....apple would be eaten alive....
    HTC would never stop producing other phones...they are not idiots to isolate themselves!
    HTC would keep Palm as an independent company and produce a couple of HTC WebOS devices, thus not causing any danger to their current business..HTC doesn't want to file for bankruptcy you know...
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    HTC would keep Palm as an independent company and produce a couple of HTC WebOS devices, thus not causing any danger to their current business.
    What would be the point of acquiring Palm then?

I really think the only reason HTC would purchase Palm would be to gut the company for the talent as well as the patents and the Palm name.
    i love the ipad
    dude, this a palm site, why did you post that?
    Yeah, just updated my post on that. Apparently Cisco has a large investment / supply contract with Clearwire, though they're not concentrating on WiMax hardware anymore.

They also recently bought Starent Networks, which "makes products that manage access from 2.5G, 3G, and 4G wireless networks to a mobile operator's packet core network. Starent's products are deployed in CDMA2000 (1X, EV-DO), UMTS/HSPA, LTE, WiFi, and WiMAX networks" and are concentrating on the LTE market going forward.

There's also an intriguing quote from the company last month:

From Cisco buying wireless wunderkind Starent, second multibillion dollar deal this month and Cisco exiting WiMAX RAN?
    About all I can add to this is that we Sprint customers might be disappointed, unless plans/contracts are already in place to put the next-gen webOS device on the Sprint network. If Cisco bought Palm and is moving away from Wimax, then their incentive to work with Sprint is much decreased.
    Quote Originally Posted by louis6279 View Post
    dude, this a palm site, why did you post that?
    Huh? I didn't.
    What would be the point of acquiring Palm then?

I really think the only reason HTC would purchase Palm would be to gut the company for the talent as well as the patents and the Palm name.
    Yeah, the more I think about all of this, the less enamored I am with HTC. I think that of the three remaining rumored players, HTC, Lenovo, and Cisco, I'd right now want to see Cisco, then Lenovo (I'm just really interested in seeing an IdeaPad U1 running webOS), and then HTC.

Incidentally, related to HTC, Palm's patent portfolio has been valued at $8-$9/share. So, that can't simply be discounted...

What Palm’s Patents are Worth | webOSroundup
    seriously, if palms going to let a company buy them, im pretty sure that they would make sure webOS and such is furthered in the agreement
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonarmor View Post
    seriously, if palms going to let a company buy them, im pretty sure that they would make sure webOS and such is furthered in the agreement
    It's not really Palm who has a say in that. It's the investors, such as Elevation Partners and other shareholders, and the board of directors who really decide whether or not to sell. At this point, it seems they just want to get some return on their investment, so it's unlikely any stipulations like that are going to happen.
    It's not really Palm who has a say in that. It's the investors, such as Elevation Partners and other shareholders, and the board of directors who really decide whether or not to sell. At this point, it seems they just want to get some return on their investment, so it's unlikely any stipulations like that are going to happen.
    Thanks for that. I think some people misunderstand how publicly traded companies work...
    Thanks for that. I think some people misunderstand how publicly traded companies work...
    haha im 16 and that was my ignorant thought
    New rumor just posted on Bloomberg, "Santa Claus is buying Palm so he can push WebOS as the new way to get your christmas list to the north pole. This is the north poles way of going paper-less".
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonarmor View Post
    haha im 16 and that was my ignorant thought
    Didn't mean to come across as negative, sorry if it seemed that way. I just literally meant that some people don't know how publicly traded companies work, so the short explanation was valuable...
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    New rumor just posted on Bloomberg, "Santa Claus is buying Palm so he can push WebOS as the new way to get your christmas list to the north pole. This is the north poles way of going paper-less".
    I don't think Santa has either the funds or the expertise to adequately support webOS. I think it would just end up a glitzy, overly-small, mass-produced POS. Plus, I'm not sure which list I'm on...
    Didn't mean to come across as negative, sorry if it seemed that way. I just literally meant that some people don't know how publicly traded companies work, so the short explanation was valuable...
    yea ik im glad he said it, it changed my beliefs on buisness a little
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    if cisco buys, they will scrap palm and webos.........they probably just want a mobile phone!
    I understand that everything here is speculation, and personal opinion, but it helps "discussion" if you say what you're basing that on...

Cisco didn't abandon anything with the "Flip". Even though Linksys has gone through a transformation, it wasn't immediate. They stayed pretty much the same for well over a year, only gradually improving their product offering.

On what are you basing the "scrapping Palm and WebOS"?