Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Nope, he didn't pick the fight. He merely pointed out--in a single post--that this remains a rumor. And he was entirely correct--even now stories are coming out that perhaps Palm isn't putting itself up for sale but rather is merely exploring all of its options.

All of the rest of the argument in this thread stemmed from comments about that post implying that he will never stop "defending" Palm--which, ironically, as I mentioned before, he wasn't even doing in that particular post.
    The fact that it isn't "confirmed" by Palm doesn't mean the thread or the discussion is invalid. In pointing that out he tried to invalidate it. It's a pattern of his, and he was called on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Apparently I mistakenly gave you too much credit with "See **** and Jane". I suspect complete sentences are a bit too much.

Go back to your tags, they seem to "speak" to you.
    you lost. don't you get it? framing the debate? don't care. you're trying sooo hard to prove some point. And here i am, not giving a darn.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    you lost. don't you get it? framing the debate? don't care. you're trying sooo hard to prove some point. And here i am, not giving a darn.
    If you don't give a darn then why are you here?
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    If you don't give a darn then why are you here?
    to discuss the thread "With Palm officially on the block, future updates? "
    Awww shucks now you've gone and ruined my entire... never mind, time's up.
    to discuss the thread "With Palm officially on the block, future updates? "
    I'm actually starting to enjoy the mere fact of your logical mistakes. Please, before this thread gets closed (as it most certainly should), do continue.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    So, any thoughts on what is being reported on the front page of P|C .... that Cisco is a potential suitor?
    So, any thoughts on what is being reported on the front page of P|C .... that Cisco is a potential suitor?
    Personally, I think that would be great (at least for Palm and Palm device owners, can't say for sure for Cisco).

Cisco has taken over a number of companies, improved their brand image, put their (Cisco's) own logo on them, and still let them be "their own brand".
    I was looking out into left field, and WHAM!!! this hit me...

I hadn't even given that any thought. I can't think of a good reason why Cisco would want to buy Palm, except that they probably have alot of cash and are always looking to break into new markets. Maybe this would be a way to get a foothold, although it's so far outside their core I can't see the angle.

Cisco is also highly, highly litigious, so who knows, maybe they'd buy for the patents.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Personally, I think that would be great (at least for Palm and Palm device owners, can't say for sure for Cisco).

Cisco has taken over a number of companies, improved their brand image, put their (Cisco's) own logo on them, and still let them be "their own brand".
    Agreed, but as far as I know those have all been at least somewhat related to Cisco's core network infrastructure business. Can you think of an example quite so outside that core as buying Palm?

if cisco buys, they will scrap palm and webos.........they probably just want a mobile phone!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts

I was thinking that too... and a lot comes to mind. webOS has a lot of untapped possibilities. For several months I have advocated a webOS powered netbook (which, IMHO, is a better design than a tablet). Should be straightforward to port the parts of webOS that make it webOS to run on x86. Can you imagine webOS being the interface for a Telepresence setup?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    if cisco buys, they will scrap palm and webos.........they probably just want a mobile phone!
    Then what, exactly, have they bought?
    Cisco has made a number of more consumer-based purchases lately: They own Flip Cam, Linksys, and I think another company.

That would be pretty intriguing, actually. The Flip HD cameras have a much better recording quality than the Pre (which is still pretty good). Get that size of lens on a phone, combine that with a front-facing camera and Cisco's video-conferencing know-how, and that could be pretty beneficial.
    I was looking out into left field, and WHAM!!! this hit me...

I hadn't even given that any thought. I can't think of a good reason why Cisco would want to buy Palm, except that they probably have alot of cash and are always looking to break into new markets. Maybe this would be a way to get a foothold, although it's so far outside their core I can't see the angle.

Cisco is also highly, highly litigious, so who knows, maybe they'd buy for the patents.
    I remember the first time I walked into a computer store, and saw "Linksys A Cisco Company" on the Linksys box. I thought "Why in the world would they have done that?"

Cisco is known for high quality, high end networking equipment.
    Linksys had been known for mediocre quality, low priced equipment.

Cisco equipment has been highly configurable.
    Linksys had been known for it's limited confiurability.

Cisco was not made in China (for the most part) because some of its biggest clients won't allow Chinese made parts in secure environments.
    Linksys was made in China.

The two companies offered competing products (though in different classes).

But, completely without checking with me first, they did it. And low and behold, to amazing things happened.

Linksys' standards went up.
    Cisco's remained as high as ever.

And both product lines continued to sell to their respecrive markets. I can't say for sure, but I think Linksys even improved its standing over its nearest competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Cisco has made a number of more consumer-based purchases lately: They own Flip Cam, Linksys, and I think another company.

That would be pretty intriguing, actually. The Flip HD cameras have a much better recording quality than the Pre (which is still pretty good). Get that size of lens on a phone, combine that with a front-facing camera and Cisco's video-conferencing know-how, and that could be pretty beneficial.
    I didn't know they'd purchased Flip. Hmmm....
    Here's a good article on some of Cisco's recent consumer electronics aspirations:

Cisco's consumer electronics dream | Crave - CNET
    Agreed, but as far as I know those have all been at least somewhat related to Cisco's core network infrastructure business. Can you think of an example quite so outside that core as buying Palm?
    Though marginally related, it really is only "marginally", but Cisco has dabbled in the server industry for a while. Initially with Local Director, a load balancing system, and more recenently with their heavy investment in VMWare (though I don't think they're a majority owner, they own a big piece).

Something that was almost a "natural outgrowth" of networking was VOIP and their investement into Telecom. Though it's all VOIP releated, which makes it network related, it's still a far cry from their routers and switches that made them famous.

However, siince we're exploring that tangent, stop and think about the wireless (not WiFi, but cell phone type wireless) industry. Think that 4G networking might take a little bite out of Cisco's product portfolio? Think that possibility might make them interested in a "cell phone" company?

At the very least, I find it intriguing.

I still wonder why a modem company ever purchased Palm.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I tell you what. The thought of HTC acquiring Palm left me at meh. Lenovo is intriguiging since they would be new in the market and less likely, IMHO, to dump webOS. But Cisco is potentially very exciting.

However, siince we're exploring that tangent, stop and think about the wireless (not WiFi, but cell phone type wireless) industry. Think that 4G networking might take a little bite out of Cisco's product portfolio? Think that possibility might make them interested in a "cell phone" company?
    Isn't Cisco is a WiMax / ClearWire investor as well?

Entirely wishful thinking, but if anyone was big enough to bypass the carriers entirely with a VOIP-based solution in the years to come, it might be Cisco.

Edit: Looked it up, they're moving out of the WiMax hardware business and acquired a company called Starent to look towards LTE.

I tell you what. The thought of HTC acquiring Palm left me at meh. Lenovo is intriguiging since they would be new in the market and less likely, IMHO, to dump webOS. But Cisco is potentially very exciting.
    I agree on all points.