Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Oh please. If someone said "With Microsoft officially on the block..." then running to the podium and screaming "Who dares to start this rumor" may make sense. But whether Palm is on the block today, tomorrow or next year then the subject still is extremely valid and worth discussing. '

Palm is struggling to survive so a discussion about "What will happen with updates" is worth having. Your presence here is the same as your presence in every other thread. You come out so you can nitpick the single flaw in someones sentence and completely ignore the general topic. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    And by the same token, if I started a thread that said "since Palm's stock is up 50% over last week, and they are officially out of the woods, what new software can we expect" I suspect you'd be one of the first out of the blockto "nitpick".

Sorry guy, it's not "nitpicking". The word was used, and words have meaning. This was an "opportunity" to spread more doom and gloom.

As far as my "participation", I think if you'd work on your reading and/or comprehension skills a bit, you'd find I didn't "ignore" anything. The bottom line, we don't know the future of possible updates, and won't until who might buy pans out a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatlosz View Post
    PS Blackberry is now giving away the free version of their Enterprise Server for Exchange. This is surely another nail in the Palm coffin. Just glad I am on the Sprint Premiere program and I get my new phone in June. Will most likely be one of the Blackberrys.
    Not Blackberry, but RIM (Research in Motion); but that's nothing new. They've given away a 5 user version for years. BES is one of RIMs most profitible enterprises. They're not going to stop the cash flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Being optimistic is a good thing but let's also consider the external forces Palm is up against if they decide to license WebOS. First, it will take time for the new HW to be designed/developed/delivered. Second, in the meantime cash flow issues would continue (Hparsons, please don't debate if there are cash flow issues. Thanks). Third, in the meantime some (many?) developers will hold back which means their app store will remain lean compared to competitors. Forth, ....well you get the picture.

Now, IF they do a combo deal that includes licensing and a cash infusion then they might have a little more leeway. But none of that will solve the execution and competitive challenges that they face today.
    the highlighted portion says it all.
    People need to stop jumping the gun and assuming if/when Palm is bought, that day 1 will be to close doors, dump WebOS, throw away all inventory of Pre's & Pixi's or whatever. Buyouts require medium (at least) term changes that phase out/in products.

Company X that buys Palm might just be for financial backing for Palm to carry out their plans on the great WebOS platform.

I, for one, think that WebOS will be a great platform given more robust hardware. We've seen what overclocking patches can do; now think if Palm came out with a native hardware platform running at 1GHz.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

We are due (Sprint customers), now I'm not sure we will see new hardware until this immediate issue is solved.
    Yeah, if the rumors are true, will there be a new Palm phone on Sprint this summer? Something better than releasing a "Plus" model on Sprint?

I'm going to buy a new phone on Sprint this Summer. I would love to go with WebOS, but I don't know if a "Plus" model would do it for me -- with the Evo coming out.

Hopefully, Palm has WebOS 2.0 and a really great phone designed to run it and all that they need is some cash and/or a great manufacturer to make it. Sadly, a new owner usually takes some time to assess their acquisition before making any big moves. If so, a new and truly next generation WebOS flagship device may not be seen on Sprint for at least 6 months.
    lol hahahahaha @ the tags "hparsonized thread". Who ever did that, that is too funny
    Whew - all this speculation is making my head spin. I'll make my decision when the time actually comes.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    A good soldier to the end...admirable
    As are you... (and your buddy dbd)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatlosz View Post
    PS Blackberry is now giving away the free version of their Enterprise Server for Exchange.
    I wouldn't expect RIM to charge for the free version...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    the highlighted portion says it all.
    And you're not here merely to dump on Palm and pick fights...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Here you have the reason why Verizon dumped palm:

Microsoft Kin One and Kin Two first hands-on! -- Engadget

Verizon is the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yeah, and I don't pay attention to the weather forecasts because it's never officially raining until I feel the drops on my head.
    hahahhaha.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yep, says a lot about the maturity level. I noticed you liked it.
    duuude, you know you laughed a little too when you read that, come one, admit it
    Yep, says a lot about the maturity level. I noticed you liked it.
    Of course it does. I says that there are folks on here that insist that they get to "frame the debate."

I think it's also worth noting exactly who responded to the post, particularly to that line...

BTW, have you stopped beating your wife yet?
    hahah what??? beating my wife? how did that enter this discussion about how badly palm failed and the likelyhood of never getting another OTA update?

I'm sorry your hurt by all this doomcasting hparsons, it'll be ok. I promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And you're not here merely to dump on Palm and pick fights...
    I can dump on Palm all i want, they surely do deserve it, my phone only half works right now so yea whatever. I was a big proponent of this device and I am still am a big proponent of this OS. But the device has failed to impress me and as much as i love it, there are more times when i want to smash it to pieces. Bittersweet really.

As far as picking fights, it's just hparsons, what do you expect? A rational discussion?
    hahah what??? beating my wife? how did that enter this discussion about how badly palm failed and the likelyhood of never getting another OTA update?

I take it you're not well-versed in debating and logic... Pity.

I'll fill you in: Hparsons was giving you the classic example of the "loaded question" logical fallacy. Perhaps you should look it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I take it you're not well-versed in debating and logic... Pity.

I'll fill you in: Hparsons was giving you the classic example of the "loaded question" logical fallacy. Perhaps you should look it up.
    no. hparsons lost credibility six months ago.
    As far as picking fights, it's just hparsons, what do you expect? A rational discussion?
    Nope, he didn't pick the fight. He merely pointed out--in a single post--that this remains a rumor. And he was entirely correct--even now stories are coming out that perhaps Palm isn't putting itself up for sale but rather is merely exploring all of its options.

All of the rest of the argument in this thread stemmed from comments about that post implying that he will never stop "defending" Palm--which, ironically, as I mentioned before, he wasn't even doing in that particular post.
    no. hparsons lost credibility six months ago.
    Methinks you still don't get it, but as the kids say nowadays: whatevs.

Sorry, guess I lost you at "framing the debate", huh?

However, exactly what has Palm failed at? Does being bought by another entity indicate failure? If so, that happened well over a decade ago. Yet here I am, using my Palm Pre today.

If Elevation Partners sells their investment at a loss, does that mean Palm "failed"? If investors losing money indicates failure, then Palm did so decades ago, probably about the first time they went public.

If someone buys them out, and they merge under a different name, then does that indicate failure? If so, for all practical purposes that's already happened as well.

Yet even with all that, if they do fail, I'll get another device, and move on.

Meanwhile, I suspect you'll still be hanging around looking for someone to whom you can say "See, I told you so".

Until that day arrives though, I guess you'll keep being unhappy with the device you chose, and I'll keep being happy with mine.

And the world will keep turning.

But will you stop beating your wife?