Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I really wonder who is behind this campaign for all the time it already is ongoing...is this Steve Jobs, Eric Schmidt, who is it? Who is misleading the public and the customers? Why do the carriers pretend to engage with palm devices and just blow it? I really think they need to stop this and accept that webOS has the potential it really has. It works and it does what I expected it to do. Nothing more nothing less. Change the guy in quality control or give him/her some training. And bring those phones on the carriers...now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    WebOS is the biggest asset that Palm has. If someone purchases Palm and decides to not maintain and enhance WebOS and allow Palm to release new WebOS hardware then they are completely insane.

In other words, I don't think we have anything to worry about.
    Actually their patents are their biggest asset. If a company like HTC was to buy them, it's speculated that it would just be for the patents and WebOS would die. I personally hope not but it's a real possibility.

Fortunately Palm is still weighing their options and anything is still possible.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I look it the same way I look at when Activision, or EA buys a smaller studio... The smaller studio continues to make games, but they have huge money to work with... same concept here... If Palm gets purchased by HTC, they will have to just concentrate on the OS... They won't have to worry about the hardware... HTC would get all of Palms patents, and they would just insert their newly purchased OS into it, and we would all be better for it...
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Palm isn't going to announce "Hey, we're officially on the block! Any takers?". They will hire third parties who specialize in this sort of thing to look up recapitalization and suitors on the best terms they can cobble together (bargaining from a position of weakness). Reuters and Bloomberg have already confirmed that this step is taking place, and that's as close to "official" as this will ever get.

Can we drop the semantic quibbling and get back to future updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    The validity of Bloomberg doesn't invalidate the discussion topic.
    The discussion topic was "With Palm Officially On the Block..."

Whether or not Palm is officially on the block, I'd say, affects the validity of the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruhi View Post
    I look it the same way I look at when Activision, or EA buys a smaller studio... The smaller studio continues to make games, but they have huge money to work with... same concept here... If Palm gets purchased by HTC, they will have to just concentrate on the OS... They won't have to worry about the hardware... HTC would get all of Palms patents, and they would just insert their newly purchased OS into it, and we would all be better for it...
    No, it's not the same concept, I'm afraid.

Those studios make software that runs on an established platform (e.g. PS3, Xbox 360, Wii). Maybe a title or two misfired or maybe they mismanaged their funds, but Activision or EA wouldn't acquire a development studio that didn't have some crown jewel property they could make money off of.

By contrast, WebOS is not making enough money for anyone, really. Carriers have lots of unsold stock they paid for. Developers aren't seeing big enough returns to commit serious original development to it. Palm obviously isn't making enough to remain solvent in the long run. You can pin it on marketing...devices....lots of factors. But I don't know if any suitor is going to pony up between half and one billion dollars to try and solve this riddle, when it's far easier to use some of the ideas and patents to enhance what you already have.
    The problem with Palm is that its value is more in Palms patents and portions of the OS. But the hardware is flawed in so many ways that IF they get acquired then it would make more sense to ditch the current users and start from scratch. Again.

Now, as for Pre users then here's where we get screwed. The product in our hands isn't finished. My iPhone no longer has ATT service, but it is solid hardware and has such a stable OS that I still carry it around daily and (with the help of MyTether) it is a fully functional device. Games, Communications, Internet, Email, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Photo Editing, Camera etc make this "disabled" device just as important than my Pre.

But what about WebOS products? Sure, IF we move on then how useful is the Pre in its current state? It's still a buggy device with numerous functionality and performance issues that demand an update. And if that update never comes then is anyone going to carry it as an "everything but a phone" device? Are you going to be able to sell it on Ebay without lying on your ad?

Even my iPhone 3G is getting chopped from multitasking in iPhone OS 4, but it still will benefit from numerous other OS updates and continued app availability so we can't dismiss the importance of quality updates from a stable parent company.

Great products die all the time and the Pre is definitely a great product. But so many mistakes were made from the start that IF Palm doesn't survive then Pre-life without updates will be tough.
    Sorry, I think your entire premise is flawed.

The Pre is a smartphone. So was my Treo. My Treo was a solid device, relatively bug free, the day I turned it off. When i turned it off, the only time I turned it back on was so my son-in-law could use it temporarilty while he waited for an Android phone to come in to replace his broken phone.

I've not continued to use any of the smartphones I've ever acquired for anything. If my new smartphone hadn't been able to do what I needed, I wouldn't have moved.

I suspect that same thing will be true of the Pre. Multi-tasking is nice, but if the phone is discontinued, that alone would not be enough to make me keep it in my pocket. It will be replaced by whatever smartphone I end up with.

That said, if someone buys Palm, and continues on with with WebOS, I have no doubt they'll continue to support what's already there. Killing the current users is a sure-fire way to kill the device completely. This isn't the same case as WebOS where current users had good long run with the OS, and were ready for a change.
    I am concerned about the brain drain that happens during these times. Valuable employees at Palm look around, obviously concerned about their future. If a job opportunity comes their way, they would be fools not to consider in light of the rumors. If/when they leave, they are not replaced and the quality and timeliness of their work goes down hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Palm isn't going to announce "Hey, we're officially on the block! Any takers?". They will hire third parties who specialize in this sort of thing to look up recapitalization and suitors on the best terms they can cobble together (bargaining from a position of weakness). Reuters and Bloomberg have already confirmed that this step is taking place, and that's as close to "official" as this will ever get.

Here's an even more recent article the says Palm may be looking at more options than merely selling, including licensing and raising additional capital.

UPDATE 3-Palm hires advisers, explores options - source | Reuters

And so, nothing's official until it's official in this case. But, yes, I do agree: let's get back to the question of whether or not there would be future updates.

The answer's really simple: if webOS survives as an OS, then yes, it'll get future updates. If whomever bought Palm stuck webOS in a drawer, then I'd say we'll see nothing but glaring bug fixes until the last warranty runs out.

It's important to note that the purchase would include all of Palm's current liabilities, which includes a reasonable level of support for existing Palm customers.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Actually their patents are their biggest asset. If a company like HTC was to buy them, it's speculated that it would just be for the patents and WebOS would die. I personally hope not but it's a real possibility.

Fortunately Palm is still weighing their options and anything is still possible.
    I don't buy that at all. The whole "I've got a better patent than you" is very much a game of bluster and bluff. Palm "owns" the patent to the smartphone. Does anyone really believe that would be succesful aggressively pursuing all of the other smartphone makers out there? Is anyone ready to bet $1,000,000,000 or so on that fact? Or even bet a billion or so on holding that patent being a successful defense to a suit by Apple?

I don't think so.

I think whatever company buys them out (if one does) will do so planning on continuing to offer product.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't buy that at all. The whole "I've got a better patent than you" is very much a game of bluster and bluff. Palm "owns" the patent to the smartphone. Does anyone really believe that would be succesful aggressively pursuing all of the other smartphone makers out there? Is anyone ready to bet $1,000,000,000 or so on that fact? Or even bet a billion or so on holding that patent being a successful defense to a suit by Apple?

I don't think so.

I think whatever company buys them out (if one does) will do so planning on continuing to offer product.
    As I asked in the Bloomburg topic... those patents that Palm owns will expire sometime. How old are most of Palm's patents and how much value does an expiring patent have?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

A few posts down, you use the term "It's not the same concept, I'm afraid".

Same thing applies here. Bloomberg did not "confirm" anything - I challenge you to show an article that says that. Bloomberg did say that "according to three people familiar with the situation" (who remained unnamed) Palm was "working with Goldman Sachs Group Inc" to find bidders.

However, Goldman Sachs declined to comment, as did virtually every potential buyer Bloomberg talked to.

In short, this is still a rumor. It's not been confirmed.
    Now, as for Pre users then here's where we get screwed. The product in our hands isn't finished. ...

Sure, IF we move on then how useful is the Pre in its current state? It's still a buggy device with numerous functionality and performance issues that demand an update. ...

But so many mistakes were made from the start that IF Palm doesn't survive then Pre-life without updates will be tough.
    I'd have to disagree with this. My Pre, just as it sits today, does most everything I need. Phone, web, email, contacts, calendar, games, apps ... all work just as advertised and with very few problems for me. So, while I would be sad if webOS was discontinued for some reason (which is *far* from a given at this point), I think I'd be quite happy living with the Pre for the rest of it's useful life (which considering how fast things are developing is probably only a couple of more years). Add in Homebrew and the fact that webOS is so open and modifiable (and I like to hack), and that's doubly true IMO.

The only way these rumors really affect me, is that I might think twice before spending money on apps. But I don't buy that many apps anyway.
    I think they'll have to update the OS and bring it up to speed so they can get more money for it.
    It wouldn't be done for us, it would be done out of greed for the cash.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Lets get the WebOS community together and buy palm ourselves!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Here's an even more recent article the says Palm may be looking at more options than merely selling, including licensing and raising additional capital.

UPDATE 3-Palm hires advisers, explores options - source | Reuters

And so, nothing's official until it's official in this case. But, yes, I do agree: let's get back to the question of whether or not there would be future updates.

The answer's really simple: if webOS survives as an OS, then yes, it'll get future updates. If whomever bought Palm stuck webOS in a drawer, then I'd say we'll see nothing but glaring bug fixes until the last warranty runs out.

It's important to note that the purchase would include all of Palm's current liabilities, which includes a reasonable level of support for existing Palm customers.
    Actually, your update does shed some light on the topic at hand (sans the "official" nonsense).

If Palm is considering licensing WebOS as one of its options, then it would be safe to say that updates will continue as they have been.

I also find it interesting that while some are ready to embrace the "it's for sale" talk, they seem to totally ignore the rest of what the analysts are saying, such as:

Analysts say its most valuable asset is the WebOS operating system, which yielded rave reviews but lackluster sales

Sorry folks, I see this thread as just more opportunity for the doom and gloom, Palm is going to fail crowed to crow a little more.

My Pre works the same today as it did last week. I was pretty happy with it then, and I still am.

If it never gets another update, I got my money's worth out of it, and I'll switch to something else in about a month and half.

But, I don't think that's going to be the end game.

Whether or not Palm is officially on the block, I'd say, affects the validity of the topic.
    A good soldier to the end...admirable
    I have two and a half years on my contract. A lot can happen in that time, even the iPhone could become unpopular. I'm not going to get all upset over this as long as my phone keeps working, and even then, Bell has lots of inventory for replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    A good soldier to the end...admirable
    Actually, he's just a soldier for the English language and maybe responsible forum journalism.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    If they could have just enabled the mic before this i would have been happy. Now I definitely need to be looking into getting a new phone soon and the pixi plus I was about to get my wife is now going to be something different.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast