View Poll Results: Would you stick with pre/pixi even if webOS is not supported by a buyer?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd keep the phone as long as I can as it is

16 13.33%
  • Yes. I'd keep the phone and homebrew for as long as I can

63 52.50%
  • No, I'd look for a new phone

41 34.17%
  1.    #1  
    My thing is with this announcement not knowing the possible outcome if someone buys Palm for the wrong reasons. Lets just say the buyer wants only their patents and has no room for webOS.

Would you stick with the Pre/Pixi and homebrew it and hope underground support keeps it alive for years, or will you find a new phone? I dont currently homebrew, but if they sold and quit updating it, I'd find it hard to move on to another phone without webOS. I'd probably keep the phone and homebrew it and hope support from diehard fans continues, but it would only last so long.

This is ONLY to say if webOS were to be phased out by a buyer...which hopefully seems unlikely, but we don't know at this point.
    Last edited by RyanCell; 04/12/2010 at 02:35 PM.
    WebOS & homebrews are the only thing keeping me with my Pre. I'll hate life going back to single tasking and Android (AT&T and their ridiculous plan prices are not a choice). I'd probably get HTC's Evo if WebOS goes is no longer supported. The EVO's hw is very nice although I'm still wondering about battery life on it.

I'd be curious as to where the devs would go (Jason R or the Internals devs).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Yes. It'll be lonely at PreCentral in 2020 but somebody has to keep the lights on.

As long as you can live with the hardware really there is very little reason to abandon webOS for the near future.
    Last edited by foosball; 04/12/2010 at 10:55 AM.
    I really don't want to go back to Android. My only experience so far was with 1.5 on the HTC Hero, and I hear 2.1 is much better...but until they make it as pretty as WebOS I really don't want to use it. Task Managers suck! I love just "wooshing" away a program I don't want to use anymore.

One option is HTC may change the way Sense is used if they buy Palm and add a "card-like" view to Android. This would make using Android much easier. Or they could buy Palm and make HTC WebOS phones (which in my opinion is the best option for me!).
    Face it, if WebOS goes away unsupported by a company, much of the HomeBrew is going to go away as well. There will likely remain a few the keep poking at it for a while (I suspect there are still some Commodore 64 programmers out there ... somewhere), but many of the HomeBrew community have been working towards "official apps". Others that aren't, are working for a "audience appeal". I don't see those two groups hanging around for long.

That said, I don't believe for an instant that WebOS will go away. I don't seen enough "downside" for any of the "leading prospect" buyers to discontinue WebOS; if the rumored sale even occurs.
    that's why htc isn't my first choice.. Lenovo has a much higher chance of focusing on palm, plus I wamma see that laptop-tablet running windows 7,and web-os.. I just hope who ever buys palm gets more devs working on the platform, so they can speed things up...
    WebOS and Pre is the best gadget right now. Yes.. lots of other device have more superior in hardware.. but that's useless if the OS lack in everything.

Palm take over really hurt me a lot. I hope Palm can be like apple, but Alas.. lots of mis-management, and unfortunate market really make Palm can't be saved anymore. And WebOS maybe end here.

Other company that will buy Palm surely interest in WebOS... nothing else. HTC is hardware compay , same with lenovo. Both need solid OS, and WebOS is the best right now.. It is the biggest Palm asset beside others. so I think they surely will not throw away WebOS if they buy Palm.

The big question mark here is the support from software developers if Palm takeover happen.
    Will they still support WebOS by make decent apps or patches like what happen till now.. or they just go to other platform such android due WebOS no longer in Palm, not USA made OS anymore. Up till now.. Great OS usually born from western company, so does the 3rd party apps. what happen if WebOS become Asian company asset , become asian OS? will they still support it?

That's what in mind right now... and at this moment my Sprint Pre is broken.. I have plan to buy Pre Plus soon, but today news.. really make me think twice, and wait till what will happen with Palm and WebOS.
    Lets wait and see what happens first... but the reality is that IF (and i stress IF) the webOS software and Palm hardware is not supported, I will probably hold on to the Pre for as long as it still works and wait until I can find an OS that does the best to replace it. but, the hardware will only last for so long and at some point I will have to replace the phone when it no longer works and there are no refurbs left!

but let's hold out hope that IF palm gets bought, the buyer is going to keep webOS alive and just make it better!
    I would go as long as I could until something better than webOS comes out. After that I would still use it as a pda or something. I really like Assasins creed and lets golf. Just turn it into a gaming device or something.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    I hate to say it, but if webOS was orphaned, I'd have to move on to another platform. As good as webOS is, it is not yet everything I'd like to see in a mobile phone OS. It still needs more work (additional APIs, etc.)

If I were forced to make a move, given that I have no desire to leave Sprint as a carrier, I'd have to wait for the EVO. As much as I don't really care for Android in its current implementation, it is the lesser of the "evils" out there right now.

I won't be subject to Apple's draconian control in the iPhone arena. Windows Phone 7 Series is too much of a question mark right now. Blackberry has never been more than a mobile email platform as far as I'm concerned (and I need more than that). So that leaves Android.

I don't like some of Android's limitations (I think they've got problems with app storage/execution--thus the reason behind limited distribution of advanced 3D games). But at least it's a semi-open platform with good potential. It just needs a better UI and better multitasking paradigm.

All that said, I would only move IF webOS is orphaned. That hasn't happened... YET.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I hate to say it, but if webOS was orphaned, I'd have to move on to another platform. As good as webOS is, it is not yet everything I'd like to see in a mobile phone OS. It still needs more work (additional APIs, etc.)

If I were forced to make a move, given that I have no desire to leave Sprint as a carrier, I'd have to wait for the EVO. As much as I don't really care for Android in its current implementation, it is the lesser of the "evils" out there right now.

I won't be subject to Apple's draconian control in the iPhone arena. Windows Phone 7 Series is too much of a question mark right now. Blackberry has never been more than a mobile email platform as far as I'm concerned (and I need more than that). So that leaves Android.

I don't like some of Android's limitations (I think they've got problems with app storage/execution--thus the reason behind limited distribution of advanced 3D games). But at least it's a semi-open platform with good potential. It just needs a better UI and better multitasking paradigm.

All that said, I would only move IF webOS is orphaned. That hasn't happened... YET.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. My thoughts exactly.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I would probably start looking into porting webos into a different phone.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'd keep it as long as I could then I'd move on to android. Hopefully if HTC buys Palm they can make the WebOS into a widget ala sense ui to run on top of android. That would be sweet. WebOS experience with Android app selection.
    There's no reason that one would HAVE to leave the Pre, even if Palm and their support went away. I'm sure third party desktop backup hacks will somehow occur. You could certainly buy backup Pre phones cheap enough.

That being said, I do want to stay up with where the mobile world is going, and I already feel myself chafing at a 480x320 resolution screen, especially at 3.1-inches. In the beginning, I noticed and loved the sharpness above all else. Now, I mostly notice the tinyness. The processor and 256MB of RAM will become increasingly insufficient as well.

I still love WebOS, but these devices have been toast, and there is nothing but vapourware on the horizon, so...
    I generally keep my phones around 2 years myself, and I don't see that being any different with the Pre, regardless of Palm's status.

That's especially so in this case, as nothing that compares to the total package of the Pre has come along yet or been announced yet in my mind. Obviously there's better hardware out there, but when put all together nothing comes close for me.

That doesn't mean that it's perfect, but no, I won't be switching just on the hypothetical that Palm goes under or gets bought by someone and then scraped.

I'd probably be more likely to try and pick a Pre Plus off of eBay and see if I could get it to work on Sprint though, if no new hardware ever comes.
    I will switch to android or WM7, depending on how it looks. As much as I like WebOS and Palm, I have a need for epocrates to be fully supported on what ever device I choose. If WebOS is gone, I doubt support will stay around.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!