Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey4life0099 View Post
    you should give the 720 a shot. i was getting crazy battery drain with the 800 so i switched to the 720 and now im getting similar battery life as i got with the stock 500(or maybe even better).
    Try a streaming app like Radio Hibiki or Net2Streams and tell me
    if you see the same good results.
    Anything that uses the Mojo audio streaming API shows really high
    drain, even without 800Mhz Kernel, and crazy high drain with.
    Pandora is using palm's undocumented audio streaming API
    and drains at less than half the rate of the Mojo SDK. I wish they'd
    fix this some day.

ian
    Has anyone tried this with the standard Kernel? Does it give a noticeable battery increase?
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    So, how does scaling help you? Is it just battery life? Or something else? If I buy this app and set it to scale automatically what can I expect? I am running 800 MHz presently and it works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    So, how does scaling help you? Is it just battery life? Or something else? If I buy this app and set it to scale automatically what can I expect? I am running 800 MHz presently and it works well.
    well battery, and heat, but some of the origina pres have prblems going down to 125mhz.. You could still do a 500-800mhz patch, and I'm not sure about 250.. There's a free version of the app you can try before buying. (im in no way related to this app,i haven't even tried the app yet)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    well battery, and heat, but some of the origina pres have prblems going down to 125mhz.. You could still do a 500-800mhz patch, and I'm not sure about 250.. There's a free version of the app you can try before buying. (im in no way related to this app,i haven't even tried the app yet)
    what were the problems of going to 125mhz? I just bought the app to give it a shot. I'm going from 125-720mhz, so what should I watch for? so far it seems okay, but maybe a bit warm (but it is charging).

EDIT- if the screen going black (backlight still on) is a symptom, I just experienced that. might have to step up to 250mhz min.
    Last edited by tedrampart; 04/13/2010 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    what were the problems of going to 125mhz? I just bought the app to give it a shot. I'm going from 125-720mhz, so what should I watch for? so far it seems okay, but maybe a bit warm (but it is charging).

EDIT- if the screen going black (backlight still on) is a symptom, I just experienced that. might have to step up to 250mhz min.

if ur okay, then ur okay... Some of the first pres mdae had cpus that didn't work well at low speeds, and crashed.. Not sure though, can someone confirn..
    nope, not okay, seems I'm one of the ones who's phones can't go lower than 500mhz in this app. tried both 125 and 250mhz and both needed a battery pull to get back and running. still 500mhz isn't bad I guess, but still not the greatest battery life.
    same here had to doctor my phone last night cuz it froze instantly once it booted up oh well now i know...i'll jus keep mine at 500--->800
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Hello all, I am reading all this and trying figuring out what all this Jibberish means . I'm new here and not really great with tech updrades, options, issues etc. So what I gather is that the 800mhz patch is something that will make the phone run faster among other things Im not sure of. The scaling is something that will help you navigate between 125mhz and 800mhz once I have the 800mhz patch. Now...on the the scaling page its stating I need to have a compatable Kernal and need to make sure I uninstall WOSQI and CPUSCaler then install the updated versions of both of these...Im so confused again. Then it says something about making sure I have WebOS Doctor and WOSQI in the same folder.... I am lost. As you can tell I'm not the brightest bulb in the house but I will not let this phone defeat me! Anyone who has time and patience Please help me figure this out in lamen terms. I will provide my email adress. Just send me a message
    PS.. I dont know what a kernal is either sorry
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Probably best not to mess with overclocked kernels and scaling then.
    Thanks but I was looking for someone who was actually willing to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShogunRua View Post
    shogunrua send me your info I will help. I will write something up for you and try to get it to you by late tonight.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    So how does the cpu scaling actually work, lets say setting it to 500-800mhz? Does the Pre decide at what speed to run depending on what apps you are using at that time or does it go fom 500mhz when idle all the way up to 800mhz the instant you start using the phone? Thanks for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShogunRua View Post
    1. Download and Install webOS QuickInstall: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-02-a.html (documantation here: http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes)

Try and get familiar with it for some days...

2. Read the first post here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...z-kernels.html and get the ipk-file that you want to

3. Download the scaler app here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...cpu-speed.html

4. Hit the thanks!-button within this posting and you are finished
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    So how does the cpu scaling actually work, lets say setting it to 500-800mhz? Does the Pre decide at what speed to run depending on what apps you are using at that time or does it go fom 500mhz when idle all the way up to 800mhz the instant you start using the phone? Thanks for the clarification.
    The scaler program monitors CPU usage. If CPU usage is below a certain threshold (say 10%) it sets the CPU clock to the lowest speed range (say 250 or 500). When the CPU usage goes above a certain threshold (say 80%) it sets the CPU clock to the highest speed range (say 720 or 800). Higher clock speeds require more CPU voltage and thus more drain on your battery. The stepping in speed is not instantaneous. I'm not sure if there are discrete steps between low and high thresholds or just proportionally adjusted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    The scaler program monitors CPU usage. If CPU usage is below a certain threshold (say 10%) it sets the CPU clock to the lowest speed range (say 250 or 500). When the CPU usage goes above a certain threshold (say 80%) it sets the CPU clock to the highest speed range (say 720 or 800). Higher clock speeds require more CPU voltage and thus more drain on your battery. The stepping in speed is not instantaneous. I'm not sure if there are discrete steps between low and high thresholds or just proportionally adjusted.
    So making it 125-800 will tell the Palm Pre to automatically adjust itself based on what I'm doing right? And thus, will greatly increase battery life? Can anyone confirm this?
    Just installed the cpuscaler in addition to the 800MHz kernal and it seems to be going well so far. My battery drain was just over 3 percent an hour and it is usually at 6-7 percent. There has been no freezing or hangups but it has only been an hour so I will report back if there are any problems.

Ha, just had a reboot after I posted this. We will see what happens....
    Last edited by pkisme; 04/15/2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Doh. Random reboot after I posted
    Twitter: @PK1030
    Quote Originally Posted by pkisme View Post
    Just installed the cpuscaler in addition to the 800MHz kernal and it seems to be going well so far. My battery drain was just over 3 percent an hour and it is usually at 6-7 percent. There has been no freezing or hangups but it has only been an hour so I will report back if there are any problems.

Ha, just had a reboot after I posted this. We will see what happens....
    Did you do 125mhz --> 800?
    Do you need the 800mhz overclock patch AND the scaler app installed or will just the scaler app installed by itself be alright?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast