View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 98 of 225 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899100101102103108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 4493
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Thats what this forum is for "moron"...to complain...
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    I happen to agree with the OP - there are a lot of flaws in the PRE -its like palm had never made a phone before - sure we can watch video, but we cant record it - battery life sucks, call quality sucks, apps suck, back up sucks, touch screen only working w.skin touch sucks, keyboard sucks, forced updates suck
    Battery life is pretty close to what you get with most other smartphones. It's as good as any Treo I ever had. Call quality is as good as any Treo I ever had (650, 700, 755, Centro). The backup works as advertised for most (sorry for those that lost their contacts). The funniest part of this mostly ridiculous rant is the complaint about Palm's choice of a capacative screen. I don't know if the poster knew this, but the touch screen only working with skin isn't a mistake by Palm, it's a limitation of the type of screen they used. The same type of screen used by the Iphone and the HD2, among other phones, btw.

for people who want to say we never did our resaearch - this info wasnt out there before we purchased - palm certainly didnt advertise a 12hr battery and no palm desktop back up, they didnt advertise "cloud" would not always work, they didnt advertise they might lose all your contacts "and thats just to bad", they didnt advertise the basic functionality and features would be left out of this phone
    Of course Palm didn't advertise a 12 hr battery life. But the battery life for most is pretty similar to what you'd get with other smartphones with standard batteries. My battery life is no worse than it was when I had any of my treos, my centro, or my htc tp. If you use a smartphone a lot, it's not going to last you all day (with the exception of a blackberry, it seems). If I use my Pre like I used my previous smartphones(less than I use my Pre because they weren't as fun or easy to use), my battery would likely last me longer than the battery did on any of my old smartphones.

Palm most certainly did advertise no palm desktop backup. They focused on synergy and syncing with the cloud. That wasn't a secret. If you didn't know that going in, that's your bad. The Palm backup failing for some sucks, I agree there, but hasn't affected me because I backed up using google and exchange and kept a local copy on my computer. As for basic functionality being left off the phone...well, basic functionality on pre central seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Aside from voice dialing and the video recorder, I don't know what else could really be considered basic that is missing. And Palm didn't keep those missing features secret. If they were that important to you, you should have known before you bought the phone that they weren't available.

purchasers expected some of the things we came to feel were "standard" in smart phones and didnt get it. MOST (not all!) of the people who I find love the PRE, were never using a smart phone before they got the PRE so they dont realize all the "missing" functionality
    What you feel is standard is not Palm's concern. Palm mostly delivered on what the said they would provide and are continuing expanding their platform. They still have a lot to do, obviously, but claiming you were duped tells me more about you than it does about any shortcomings on Palm's side.
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Now for the things that make me want to hurl this POS. A screen that is both not responsive and too responsive at the same time. I can press a link 3 times then finally it accepts it. At the same time i can glancingly touch the screen and an app fires up i didn't want. Wait time, press for an app then wait 1.2.3.4. oh look its loading.
    Unlike some other complaints, this complaint strikes me as fair. The OS, as intuitive and pleasant to look at as it is, is sometimes annoyingly unresponsive. I hate pressing the power button to turn on the screen, waiting, pressing the power button again, then watching the screen turn on then immediately back off. There's too much lag in the OS right now and that definitely needs to be addressed. It makes me yearn for the ability to turn off certain animations.
    I have to say though, I've been scouting the crackberry forums, and it's the same, only about people exchanging 5 BlackBerrys in a row and how RIM is dying or missing the boat, shooting itself in the foot etc.

Now, it's a little different, because RIM just announced blowout profits. But the complaints seem universal and point to some deeper problems with the smartphone market. Why is there such a gap between expectations and reality when it comes to smartphones?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I have to say though, I've been scouting the crackberry forums, and it's the same, only about people exchanging 5 BlackBerrys in a row and how RIM is dying or missing the boat, shooting itself in the foot etc.

Now, it's a little different, because RIM just announced blowout profits. But the complaints seem universal and point to some deeper problems with the smartphone market. Why is there such a gap between expectations and reality when it comes to smartphones?
    It's the same on most forums for just about anything, including smartphones, cars, video games, etc. Some people like to complain, loudly. Some people like to defend their purchases, blindly. And some people just like spending too much time arguing with people they don't know in real life, strangely.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Does anybody remember the fact of how long it took iphone to get media messaging? Every phone takes time to develop at its own pace.
    You invested in a product that was supposed to be different and revolutionize the industry. No device I've seen has done that right out the gate, but Palm does indeed give you a different experience. Stop comparing it to the "norm" because Palm isn't aiming for the norm. They're aiming to be better, and while they are still missing things, they're on their way. Theres another update coming within the next two weeks, an update that is supposed to take care of battery life and speed, so relax and let Palm do their job. If you cannot find something you like, create it! Patch it! You're given options, ways to work around things, use them. And if you cant do it yourself, ask for help, there is a developers' forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    A screen that is both not responsive and too responsive at the same time. I can press a link 3 times then finally it accepts it.
    It's not the screen, it's the browser. It worked just fine a couple releases ago.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It's the same on most forums for just about anything, including smartphones, cars, video games, etc. Some people like to complain, loudly. Some people like to defend their purchases, blindly. And some people just like spending too much time arguing with people they don't know in real life, strangely.
    You hit the nail right on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    This has been said so many times, by so many people, that it's really getting old, but I'll say it again: If you buy a 1st gen device, AND do it without doing your homework first, or you do your homework and ignore what you find, then nobody cares what you have to say.

Nobody lied to you about the Pre or what it could do, and nobody forced you to purchase one.
    This is absolutely true. I don't think people should be allowed to complain about features that have been missing from Day 1. We knew it wouldn't have video recording, and it doesn't.

However, I think people are disappointed at the fact that updates haven't really fixed much or added very many new features. I think people expected Palm to provide awesome updates like Android that added features. Android got almost a brand new OS after 6 months of being out (Cupcake). TONS of new features.

I think people are just expecting Palm to do the same. Whether that's misguided or not, I don't know, but the 6th month is upon us and--nothing.

Also, there was no way for people to know ahead of time or research that the apps would be complete crap. Even when the Android market was in beta there were still cool apps that were allowed Native access. I mean, the apps we have now are practically web-apps that either pull information (get soccer scores from a single Western European country for $1.99!) or are useless, like tip calculators.
    Another one of these threads? A little research before buying a product can make all the difference in customer satisfaction.
    nice choice of words coming from someone that knows nothing about forums. They are not for complaining . They are for talking about issues and fixing issues . Its all about talking not complaining about anything . Its alot diff. to discuss and talk than to flame and complain . If you can't understand that just listen to a child that complains alot lol man it will irritate the crap outa yeah . Yeah that's what it sounds like on here too whining . If you buy a phone your not happy with and did not return it within the 30 days that's your own fault and I just laugh at ya for it . Have a most excellent day ! Heh heh
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Steph3n:
    I personally spent 2.5 hrs on the phone with a Sprint tech just to activate my Pre. This is after being at the Sprint store for 1 hour waiting for the Sprint guy try to unsucessfully activate it. Now the volume is stuck and is practically non-existent for music.

I'm not yet convinced to send my Pre for an exchange after I've spent hours synch'n my Outlook and music. It's an excellent gizmo to have; but wish my volume would be workable outside of a quiet room. Well, the guys decided to go with iPhones now...I might follow suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    However, I think people are disappointed at the fact that updates haven't really fixed much or added very many new features. I think people expected Palm to provide awesome updates like Android that added features. Android got almost a brand new OS after 6 months of being out (Cupcake). TONS of new features.

I think people are just expecting Palm to do the same. Whether that's misguided or not, I don't know, but the 6th month is upon us and--nothing.
    Speaking strictly for myself, I was happy with the OS that Palm promised in January. To me, we still haven't gotten it.

A slow phone app, laggy scrolling, lack of menus, and a photos app that had to process each picture individually before you could look at it were just some of the problems I could scarcely believe still existed 5 months later (when I jumped off the WebOS train for the moment). "Too Many Cards" errors crippled me being able to multitask as I wanted to. Didn't see much reason to keep it as my reliable, everyday device.

I don't know what Android 1.0 was like. But I know Cupcake with Sense UI has almost none of these issues. It's no contest.
    Let me explain myself a little further. My wife and I have had the Pre since day one. I drug my family and hour and a half out of the way, while driving to our summer vacation destination in the Outer Banks to buy the Pre on the day it came out. I was standing there when the door to the store opened. I was hours away from ditching Sprint and Palm (i had a 700wx) when Palm announced the Pre at CES last year and once I saw the presentations I knew the Pre would be great. I like the Pre, don't get me wrong, but the support from Palm has been severely lacking. I did not return the phone in the first 30 days because I knew it would take some time for issues to be fixed, I did not know that the updates themselves would create so many more issues and never really fix anything. Just like a previous poster said, I knew we would be beta testers but never thought it would turn out to be alpha testing. I can't even backup my phone to my computer, where I control what happens to my data and do not encounter a Tmobil tradgedy. I have learned to look past the oreo feature of the phone. I replaced my battery with the Sedio (same size as oem) as soon as it came out and can live with the battery life i get with it. Now, after having the phone for 6 months the little plastic USB door falls off every time I go to charge the phone and there is no way to get a new one so I am supposed to leave a gaping hole in the side of my phone to fill with dirt, dust and anything else.
    I rely heavily on my phone for solutions to my hectic life and need reliability. I am a full time firefighter/paramedic and I own a medium sized retail store on the side. I run 5 email accounts on my Pre yet my government mail will not work due to the issues with security and exchange. (it works just fine on blackberrys) Having to constantly reload contacts to get the SMS threads to show up is getting old. This is not Palms first phone! It is essentially a PDA with phone function. Palm made arguably the best PDAs, and has been doing so for years, yet it seems they went stupid when designing this phone. My employees with iphones rub their wonderful phones abilities in my face every chance they get and I hate to say they are right after I bragged about my Pre for so many months before getting it and still did for a few weeks after. I have since given in to them, however, I refuse to own an Apple product. Yes iphone is in v3, which only means Palm should have gone even further past good enough with the phone that they hoped would re-kickstart Palm in the smartphone arena. When Pre was still in development, there was an article on Treocentral saying that the Apple apps will easily be converted to the Pre, yet we still have very few apps that are actually useful. Yes it is funny to play an electronic sounding fart or shake the 8 ball but how about the Barcode scanner app? Ohh yeah, Pre can not run this app because the camera is not able to read the barcode like the Iphone and Droid can. What the hell is so hard about building a video recording function for the Pre? Almost every phone on the market right now can record video, yet the ohh so powerful Pre can not. Palm should have been working on further development of the OS rather than dreaming up and producing additional hardware to run this partially functioning OS on. I dont tweet, i don't use Myspace or Facebook yet it seems as though these are the things Palm is the most concerned with fixing in their updates. I am very frustrated with the Pre, yet I am screwed because Sprint does not have a phone that is much better, not to mention the additional cost of having to buy another phone to switch to for my wife and myself.
    I would love to build my own apps, patches, tweaks and functions for the Pre. I have no idea how to write code though, nor do I have the time to learn. If Palm, a developer or even a 3rd party came up with a windows program to easily hand build apps, patches, tweaks and advanced functionality for the Pre that anyone with a moderately above average knowledge of computers could use it would make this phone so much better. Hey, there is a concept! A custom OS built by yourself, for yourself, that looked the way you want and did the things you want. The interface for this type of thing is there, someone just needs to make it happen.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Speaking strictly for myself, I was happy with the OS that Palm promised in January. To me, we still haven't gotten it.

A slow phone app, laggy scrolling, lack of menus, and a photos app that had to process each picture individually before you could look at it were just some of the problems I could scarcely believe still existed 5 months later (when I jumped off the WebOS train for the moment). "Too Many Cards" errors crippled me being able to multitask as I wanted to. Didn't see much reason to keep it as my reliable, everyday device.

I don't know what Android 1.0 was like. But I know Cupcake with Sense UI has almost none of these issues. It's no contest.
    I don't get the to many card error I have seen it one time about a month ago when a web page for some reason kept reloading but was not actually reloading the page it was like updating ads or something. It popped up about half way through reading the article, so since release I have never seen this error other than with an bugged web page. And I have had days where I left 8-10 apps open for most of the day got a little laggy until I closed them but never popped the error.

I wonder if its hardware related?

I love my pre does everything I need it to do and some, I'll never go back to winmo.
    Being that many people started seeing this error only AFTER 1.3.1 arrived, I doubt it's hardware related. There's no one thing that causes it, and the number of apps open doesn't seem particularly germane either.
    I like the webos. I hope they keep improving around it, like with hardware and stuff. They simple reason they have webos is why i will be sticking with palm.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    If palm doesnt release something at ces that fixes ALL of these problems, they are doomed. I like many other loyal palm supporters who also got the phone on day 1, feel taken (for paying $200 OUT OF POCKET), and as much as I hate to say it this will be my last palm device.

Way to go palm, you have successfully alienated the last loyal supporters that you have with this crapgadget. This 'phone' just doesnt cut the mustard.
    touch screen only working w.skin touch sucks
    You lost me here, demonstrating as you do your ignorance of such basic concepts as the capacitive touch screen.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic