View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 90 of 225 FirstFirst ... 40808586878889909192939495100140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 4493
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    goldenhorn I'd say at this point noting which app is causing the java loop is a bit late as t seems to start it up again as soon as the phone reboots. Before deleting everything and starting clean slate though, I'd suggest doctoring it with 1.3.1, and then while it is still running good try to keep note of the last application you launched, that way when you see it go "phone offline" you'll have a pretty good idea of your culprit. At that point possibly doctoring again and using it for awhile without launching that app to see if it will remain stable.
    For me, changing my network setting to "Sprint Only" (a.k.a. disabling roaming) made a huge improvement in battery life and reduced the heating.

When I am in a location with poor service, my phone still heats up and drains the battery.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Ok, today i swallowed my pride and thought! I called Sprint told them to cancel my cancel and asked for an e-mail address to where i could complain, i will share the text of it with you, i think i handled this in a mature way. As for leaving Sprint, no cant do it, cant afford the new phones and Verizon wanted $361 month compared to Sprint $285. So im sticking with Sprint!

Heres the email

Dear Sprint,

I just wanted to express my concern with how your corporate store manager is doing business. The store I am referring to is located on Mall Rd. in Florence, KY. And the managerís name is ****. I have been a loyal Sprint customer for at least 9 years; I currently have 6 lines of service with you and never ever late on payments. I have been having problems with my Palm Pre, all hardware related issues -- I have dealt with bad headset jacks, bad speakers, non responsive touch screen and a cracked screen (due to no negligence of my own). I am currently on my 5th Palm Pre. I had requested to **** the store manager to please not give me another refurbished phone, and he told me no he wouldnít, he told me he would order me a brand new Palm Pre direct from Palm as he could not give me a new one from the store. He told me it would be ready for pickup in the store on 12-8-09. To my surprise a replacement phone arrived at my house on Monday evening 12-7-09 and it was another refurbished phone from Sprint. Upon discovering this I immediately contacted Sprint customer service and said they could not help me. I immediately made the decision to cancel all lines of service, which as of today I have changed my mind, I like Sprint I like the service I actually refer people to Sprint, in the future I donít know how much though I will be referring customers to Sprint though after being lied too, by a STORE MANAGER! I could see this coming from another store employee, BUT not the MANAGER. The Palm Pre is a very nice phone but the build quality is horrible, I need something that is reliable, I cannot be without a phone for 4 days at a time let alone 4 days on 4 different occasions. I guess I will call this one MY LOSS, I know you donít own Palm or have any control, but you do control your store managers, and I hope they are given a little better training in the future to NOT lie to customers and not promise things they cant deliver on. Now I am stuck with a phone that has known hardware issues and I am not eligible for an upgrade for 18 more months.

I will stick with the Pre until it breaks again, but then i really am gonna have to bite the bullet and get something with a better track record.

Thanks for all your help and comments
    Here is what i would try:

1. Backup extract all contacts from palm profile or backup to outlook or google whatever you prefer (there is custom app here in forums that does this)
    2. Webos Doctor 1.3.1
    3. Log in create new palm profile (use new email addy)
    4. restore contacts
    5. run clean/unpatched and only default apps for a duration that seems to surpass the point the point you normally get problems.

This will allow you to know if some app/patch was behaving badly. if you are not removing all your apps prior to getting new phone and restoring your palm profile to each new phone you may be carrying the problem or contaminating each new phone.

p.s. i never saw if you answered a previous post about having a large amount of reoccurring appointments. not sure what a 'large amount' would be but i am interested to know an estimate of how many?
    @hparsons
    You sound like a knee-jerk Palm defender. Remember, it is not the number of posts that matter; it is the quality.
    I've only had mine a few days and it is already indispensable.
    Bingo
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Glad to see that you called them back to stay on, I know how frustrated you must have been. I had an Cust Serv incident with Sprint about a year ago and I was hot. But I, like you, have been with them for 9+ years and have ten lines on my account. There is NOWHERE that I can go and get a comparable monthly rate.

I like your letter, stating the facts without a lot of b****ing.

This one sentence could use a little wordsmithing. Maybe break into into one or two sentences and the word 'though' is used before and after the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDriver View Post
    I immediately made the decision to cancel all lines of service, which as of today I have changed my mind, I like Sprint I like the service I actually refer people to Sprint, in the future I don’t know how much though I will be referring customers to Sprint though after being lied too, by a STORE MANAGER!

Also, I wonder if you should pose the question to them regarding any type of 'lemon law/policy'? I do understand that they first try to replace with a refurb, I myself have received refurb phones with no issues. But you would think that after x number of replacements, they would give in and give the new phone. (To save face if nothing else).

Keep us informed as to what happens. I am going to subscribe to this to keep in the loop.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I had some bad experiences with Sprint's refurbs before. Took be about 5 Blackberry Curves to get one that worked and didn't have major issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    I can't think of a single company that will send you out a NEW device when it breaks in warranty versus repairing the old one or sending you a refurbished device first. It doesn't make business sense. In most cases the refurbs work the same, and they cost much less to fix and send out one rather than send an entirely new handset that they haven't made money off of yet.
    Amazingly Apple sometimes will. I got a new phone. I got a broken one replaced with a bad refurb and when I took the bad refurb back in, they gave me a new phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdarkestsin View Post
    The lag is due to them being lazy not enabling the GPU. I know they have put alot ou for the phone. it still in my mind doesn't make up for the fact that the CPU does everything. Now if this phone had the GPU enabled then I think it would be alot faster and smoother UI.

I can tell you right now that when flash is working. Im not gonna wanna even see how bad and slow it may run on the web. Im hoping for 2.0 or sometime soon its enabled!
    It's not a matter of just enabling the GPU, as in just turning it on. All the animations need to be rewritten for the GPU to handle them. Think of the animations currently as Ikea assembly instructions written in english. You give them to an American and they will do a decent job putting the furniture together. But if you have a Japanese guy who is really good at putting furniture together, you need to completely rewrite the instructions in Japanese in order for him to do it.

Essentially, everything has to be redone, and it isn't easy. They have to first get a GPU driver, then get a way for the OS to talk to the GPU via Javascript and then rewrite everything they want animated with the GPU in a different type of language.

It is a major undertaking, one that is necessary, but I guarantee it is NOT coming. They will at best enable the GPU for gaming apps, but it will never be used to animate things like drop down menus or help smooth out scrolling.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    refurbs suck! almost every refurb i have ever bought has broken on me. unacceptable. anyhow, you should port your number our rather than cancel so you dont have to lose your number.
    if i had these problems i dont care how much i loved the OS i would get a different phone...thats what normal people do....normal people dont continuously replace defective phones and then forum rant...
    Nicely done. There are not many people that could be as level headed as you are in the letter. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phynal View Post
    I had some bad experiences with Sprint's refurbs before. Took be about 5 Blackberry Curves to get one that worked and didn't have major issues.

Amen.

My son had the LG Music. The thing never worked right from day one. In the 16 months he had it Sprint gave him 7 refurbished phones. They finally gave him a new one when the refurb center didn't have any in stock. The last one worked until August of this year. He bought a Pre, at full retail, after deciding that the LG just wasnt worth messing with any more.

Now he's on his 4th Pre and all the issues have been software, not hardware.

I swear when they check refurbs all they do is turn it on and make sure it boots. No QC at all.
    Alright, so I thought it would be a fun idea to start a thread with all the grievances one might have about the Pre that have NO JUSTIFICATION.

We get a lot of complaints based on personal preference that can be explained (i.e. Why no SD card slot? To keep the device slim // Why the shiny back cover? To keep the device light // Why the teeny keyboard? To keep the profile made of one-handed navigation, etc.)

But occasionally, we come across an issue that simply has no explanation. There appears to be no justifiable reason why this issue presents itself. And hey, maybe someone else will actually have a reason we just don't know about...

I'll start the list:

1. Why oh why can you not remove the launcher icon from the quick-start menu when there's already a gesture that performs the same action as the button?

2. Why oh why does Palm limit to severely what developers can do, thus preventing quality apps from appearing in our app catalog?

3. Why oh why can't one swipe to delete videos when that is the standard way to delete files from emails to messages to songs?

Add more to the list people!

And PS- I am not an apple employee, do not want to 'return the Pre if you don't like it'-- just making a thread for people to join the discussion and ponder why these things are the way they are. Remember, having complaints or constructive criticism for a device doesn't mean you don't like it.
    Why is my Pre less functional than my Treo?

Why can't I customize buttons, app pages, etc. Seems like a really dumb problem to have.

Why can't I do a local backup natively?

Why can't I continue to use the phone as an MP3 Player, camera etc, once I decide to turn off the Sprint Service. (a disconnected iPhone is still an iPod touch is it not?)

Why are the contacts ported over from Outlook, into the Palm profile not allowed to be changed over to Google? Is retyping 200 contacts really necessary because the Sprint rep who sold me the phone did not tell me the limitations of syncing to the Palm profile?
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Why can't I continue to use the phone as an MP3 Player, camera etc, once I decide to turn off the Sprint Service. (a disconnected iPhone is still an iPod touch is it not?)
    I can't speak to your other why's but for this one, you can. I am temporarily without my Sprint service and the phone does everything except make calls and text. When I am in a WiFi hotspot I still get email and the web, and I always can listen to MP3s and take and store pix, etc. Hope I've helped put one "why" to rest.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    1. Why oh why can you not remove the launcher icon from the quick-start menu when there's already a gesture that performs the same action as the button?
    I can think of an easy reason for this. The first time you used the device, did you know about the gesture? Would anyone know about it without telling them? The icon is there to ensure a fool-proof method to gain access to all of the applications. And I can see why they don't want you to remove it. Where would you put it? The standard paradigm is to drag icons back into the launcher. So, would you want to put your launcher inside the launcher, so you can open an app while opening an app? (Yo dawg, I heard you like cars..)

Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    2. Why oh why does Palm limit to severely what developers can do, thus preventing quality apps from appearing in our app catalog?
    Because Palm are evil overlords, out to rule the world. Or, perhaps, they don't have the resources to bow to every wish and whim. Please also note the huge BETA tag across the App Catalog. Its simply not done yet.

Engineering is often called "the art of compromise." Some stuff isn't obvious, but there are usually reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Why, oh, why can't I read 'local' html files.

example: On my palm(s) since way-back I have been
    able to drag-n-drop a folder of html-file manuals for
    work onto my phone, open one, and click through the
    pages just like I was on a website... why can't I do
    that anymore??? NOTE: DH *had* to be able to do this,
    and traded his pre for a moment last week - it was the
    last straw :-(

why can't I beam a photo via bluetooth, ike I could from my centro??

If someone can answer these and it is my lack of knowledge which is to blame, feel free to set me straight!

Thanks!