View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    197 70.36%
  • No

    40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

    37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

    28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 89 of 225 FirstFirst ... 3979848586878889909192939499139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 4493
  1. #1761  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    Well as someone who also frequents these sites and has of course looked up the problem numerous times I can say that there are an overwhelming number of users experiencing the same thing.
    I'm just interested - when you say "overwhelming", I'd like to see the data on that.

    Can we set up a poll to find out how many users have actually experienced an overheating/multiple replacement issue?
  2. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #1762  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    But not here to ask people who haven't experienced the problem to solve it, i've worked with it long enough to know the work around but as I stated DON'T have time to do that every few minutes just so I can get the BASICS like phone calls, text, and emails.
    Sounds like you just want to rant. If the phone causes so many problems for you then I see no other alternative then to simply tell Palm how you feel by replacing the phone with something else that you perceive as "better". I can assure you though that any phone you end up getting will infact cause you some other form of rant since you seem happy to do so anyway. It will only be a matter of time. No one company can make every customer happy hence why there are so many other alternative. So run along and find one and litter up thier forum with the rants.
  3. #1763  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I'm just interested - when you say "overwhelming", I'd like to see the data on that.

    Can we set up a poll to find out how many users have actually experienced an overheating/multiple replacement issue?
    I don't even know how many people own a pre nor do all pre owners post on this phone so that wouldn't be accurate anyway around.

    You can however click the search to see the multiple topics on the same thing and access for yourself the situation if you have doubt. But i'm not going to do it for you, as i've been searching the topic for months now so I don't feel I should have to prove anything when its a click away lol.
  4. #1764  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Your loyalty to Palm is misplaced. I've owned a dozen or so over Palm OS PDAs/smartphoens over the past decade. However, Palm OS means nothing to Palm at this point. Why else would they fail to at least develop Classic in-house or bundle it with the phone? You can't tell me that it would have cost Palm any more than $5 per device to bundle Classic with the Pre. Even though they've only sold a million devices, that's still $5M for motion in 6 months.

    But noooo.....You Palm OS users can pony up the dollars for yourself via a 3rd party. Time to ditch your loyalty and buy the smartphone that you want.
    I'm glad they chose the route they did. I don't want to pay $5 extra for my device so folks that don't want to give up the past can continue with it.

    You got it right, those folks should "pony up the dollars themselves".
  5. acydlord's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #1765  
    goldenhorn I encountered the same problems you are explaining but it only happened to me once. Luckily I did not have to get a replacement phone as WebOSdoctor fixed the issue. It is not related to signal strength, what it is related to is one of the sprint applications crashing/hanging and causing java to constantly restart and run at 100% of cpu. The application that caused my phone to do this was the SprintNav app. Is there one of the sprint apps that you use regularly or can remember using last before your phone decided to become an expensive heating element?
  6. #1766  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Sounds like you just want to rant. If the phone causes so many problems for you then I see no other alternative then to simply tell Palm how you feel by replacing the phone with something else that you perceive as "better". I can assure you though that any phone you end up getting will infact cause you some other form of rant since you seem happy to do so anyway. It will only be a matter of time. No one company can make every customer happy hence why there are so many other alternative. So run along and find one and litter up thier forum with the rants.
    Doesn't the topic name sound like a rant is coming? Not sure what you thought it was...

    However i'm not slow or ignorant so I am well aware that other phones have problems lol. Not sure where you gathered that I was going to or looking into switching to another phone or service. But I do thank you for sharing with me.

    Topic Is= Criticism for lack of palms attention, rant because of my continual non-small issues with the phone, and small inkling of hope that palm might see it and actually do something.

    Topic is not= cry for attention, calling for attacks or questions of character or validity, call for help (as said its already many topics for that and none of them have a 100% answer just work arounds as i've said a few times now).
  7. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #1767  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    .....

    Of course on 1st thought it would sound like a signal issue but its not at all, if it were it would have NO SIGNAL, ROAM, or NO BARs, not jumping from full signal to shutting everything off and saying Phone Offline while heating up. The phone works fine for a number of months or weeks but eventually starts getting buggy and flips in and out into this mode. But not here to ask people who haven't experienced the problem to solve it, i've worked with it long enough to know the work around but as I stated DON'T have time to do that every few minutes just so I can get the BASICS like phone calls, text, and emails.

    .....
    Not trying to blame you on the problem, but if every replacement gradually end up this way, I would say you need to look at your environment and usage a little more. Because it could be a certain usage leads to the problem. Maybe not to add certain account to the phone or stop charging the phone in some way (not use Touchstone back cover, e.g.). Definitely try to stick with standard Palm issued stuff, no 3rd party chargers, no patches or tweaks. Limit the Apps to ones from the official App store.

    However, this also means Pre may end up not being the right phone for your usage and environment. But at least you would know what to look for when you choose another phone.

    Overall, I would not lose my confidence on Palm based on this, unless we know what may be the cause.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  8. #1768  
    Quote Originally Posted by acydlord View Post
    goldenhorn I encountered the same problems you are explaining but it only happened to me once. Luckily I did not have to get a replacement phone as WebOSdoctor fixed the issue. It is not related to signal strength, what it is related to is one of the sprint applications crashing/hanging and causing java to constantly restart and run at 100% of cpu. The application that caused my phone to do this was the SprintNav app. Is there one of the sprint apps that you use regularly or can remember using last before your phone decided to become an expensive heating element?
    Thanks haven't seen that before in the forums, but i've done everything under the sun except doctor AND delete all applications. But i've doctored to earlier and current releases, deleted all tweaks and stayed in that mode for days to no change (currently tweak-less).

    Based on your response I might have to just go through and manually delete all the applications (sigh). As I have no idea what app it could be if thats the issue, but curious as to why if thats it that simply rebooting doesn't solve that crash/hanging issue.
  9. Marq22's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #1769  
    I don't post much on the forums, but read and appreciate most of the information I find. What bugs me the most about some forum posters here is, they are quick to down anyone who makes any negative or any comment that can be construed as negative post about the Pre. This phone, hardware, software is not perfect. As soon as someone say they have a problem with something or dont like something two solutions are offered.

    1) Patch it!! or 2) Get a different phone.

    Stop pretending like the Pre is some perfect phone when it can be so much better. I love the phone and the potential it holds, but no one should have to hack it to have it function properly. That is a problem and it should be addressed.
  10. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #1770  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm glad they chose the route they did. I don't want to pay $5 extra for my device so folks that don't want to give up the past can continue with it.

    You got it right, those folks should "pony up the dollars themselves".
    I agree. I hate bundled non-essential apps. A year or two later when there are enough Apps, that we don't need Classic, people would be whining about not able to remove Classic, just like I want to remove the Nascar and NFL Apps now.

    Marketing wise, they should help people look forward, not backward.

    I do wish Palm would negotiate a lower price for Classic though. With Classic costing so much, it lowers the justification to buy replacement apps from Apps store. My case is a good dictionary App. I paid $20-$30 for Palm OS Webster dictionary. And add the Classic cost, I would take the inconvenience of not having to pay for another dictionary.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  11. #1771  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    ...Not sure where you gathered that I was going to or looking into switching to another phone or service. But I do thank you for sharing with me.
    To be fair, from your OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    And through all of this I am afraid i'm coming to a crossroads with this phone & company.

    I looooove webos and this phone but its just not fully usable if at some not far off point it will turn itself into a beautiful paperweight.

    .... how can I remain loyal knowing they'd rather sweep this under the rug?
    Sure sounds like someone "going to or looking into switching to another phone or service". At a minimum, now you know why someone might have "gathered" that...
  12. #1772  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    ...
    Based on your response I might have to just go through and manually delete all the applications (sigh). As I have no idea what app it could be if thats the issue, but curious as to why if thats it that simply rebooting doesn't solve that crash/hanging issue.
    I think before I started deleting apps, I'd start trying to make note of what's going on when the issue begins. You can tell when it begins because the Pre starts getting hot, correct?
  13. #1773  
    Quote Originally Posted by marq22 View Post
    I don't post much on the forums, but read and appreciate most of the information I find. What bugs me the most about some forum posters here is, they are quick to down anyone who makes any negative or any comment that can be construed as negative post about the Pre. This phone, hardware, software is not perfect. As soon as someone say they have a problem with something or dont like something two solutions are offered.

    1) Patch it!! or 2) Get a different phone.

    Stop pretending like the Pre is some perfect phone when it can be so much better. I love the phone and the potential it holds, but no one should have to hack it to have it function properly. That is a problem and it should be addressed.
    +1 i've had my Pre for a while now (im on #4) and just last night out of nowhere it started freezing. Now that makes me angry because it was working fine.i guess i'll wait until july for my next upgrade.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
  14. #1774  
    Quote Originally Posted by marq22 View Post
    ... As soon as someone say they have a problem with something or dont like something two solutions are offered.

    1) Patch it!! or 2) Get a different phone.

    Stop pretending like the Pre is some perfect phone when it can be so much better. I love the phone and the potential it holds, but no one should have to hack it to have it function properly. That is a problem and it should be addressed.
    Well, first of all, I disagree with the notion that those are the only 2 options offered (this thread alone will disprove that), but let's go with what I think you are trying to say:

    I think you are trying to say that people offer up the possibilites of:
    1. Patch it
    2. Here are the workarounds
    3. Get a different phone

    What other options are there from the forum??? This isn't Palm's forum. There are no Palm engineers on here that are going to jump in and say "Yeah, we'll fix that for you". (Yes, I know that there are some Palm folks on here, I've traded PMs with them, but trust me, you will get their attention a lot better on their forum).

    An occasional rant on a forum is one thing, but for a while there (it does seem to have lightened up some) this forum was having way to much time devoted to "Palm sucks and this is way" nonsense.

    I'm not saying that folks shouldn't be allowed to rant; however, if/when they do, they better prepare themselves for the responses.

    Rants will get anti-rants.

    Genuine requests for help will generally get genuine offers of help.
  15. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #1775  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Rants will get anti-rants.
    Just like your post

    Agree with you on the forum thing.
  16. #1776  
    sounds like you got the **** end of the stick. Sorry to here that. I've had my pre for 4 months and had no problems except for the problems I created by downloading homebrew apps and patches . Which is expected when using beta app and patches lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  17. #1777  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To be fair, from your OP:

    Sure sounds like someone "going to or looking into switching to another phone or service". At a minimum, now you know why someone might have "gathered" that...
    ok the coming to a crossroads portion I can see. The beautiful paperweight portion was a factual statement what does that have to do with getting a different phone if I obviously stated when it did turn into a paperweight I got another of the SAME PHONE.

    "how can I remain loyal" you need obviously means I am STILL loyal and questioning how can it continue to go this way. Not sure how that means "I am no longer loyal" sound like two totally different sentences to me.
  18. #1778  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think before I started deleting apps, I'd start trying to make note of what's going on when the issue begins. You can tell when it begins because the Pre starts getting hot, correct?
    No need to note whats going on, I could reboot, take battery out switch with new battery, hard or soft reset, and and not touch it and it will PHONE OFFLINE all day.
  19. #1779  
    I don't get some of you guys. I could see you guys having a problem if this was a slanderous post but its not that. I love palm (obviously) and the pre. You will be ok if I need to rant about it, your perfect pre will still be perfect and mine will still be messed up.

    Beyond that this is a PUBLIC forum, I am aloud my diatribe on my situation, if I can't post it here where else should I?

    If you guys want to sit and sing koombaya about how because your phone has had no issues then its IMPOSSIBLE for others to have problems by all means do it, but its pointless because at the end of the day you have no idea whats going on with my phone or the countless others going through issues or the same problem.

    If you want a forum clean of any references to issues that palm needs to address then with that mentality we'd all be toting around Treo 90's . With discussion of issues comes growth, fascicle ideas of a perfect phone hinder and are pointless because no phone is perfect.
  20. #1780  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    ok the coming to a crossroads portion I can see. The beautiful paperweight portion was a factual statement what does that have to do with getting a different phone if I obviously stated when it did turn into a paperweight I got another of the SAME PHONE.

    "how can I remain loyal" you need obviously means I am STILL loyal and questioning how can it continue to go this way. Not sure how that means "I am no longer loyal" sound like two totally different sentences to me.
    I tend to agree on the paperweight thing, if it was alone. With the rest, nah, sounds like a "I'd be getting a different device" (surely you weren't saying you'd keep it as a paperweight and not bother with another phone??)

    As for the last, yes "how can I remain loyal" definitely says you are loyal now but also implies that you don't see how you can remain loyal.

    When you add in the fact that the crossroads piece came before all that - yeah, I can see how someone took it that way.

    Good to see you're planning on hanging in there though.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions