View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 88 of 225 FirstFirst ... 3878838485868788899091929398138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 4493
    I have been with Palm since it it was Handspring... and from then I have been a mouthpiece for the company and its products and swearing to nothing else comparing. Of course I was one of the ones in line day one ready to snatch up the company savior and parade it around town.

And through all of this I am afraid i'm coming to a crossroads with this phone & company.

I'm not sure how many replacements I can continue to get because this phone can't perform the basic functions such as keeping a charge & allowing me to make calls.

Every replacement I get at some point will turn into one of those God forsaken "Phone Offline" phones while draining the battery at a clocked 37.20% per hour (last clocked speed). And cooking my thigh while in my pocket because its set itself to selfdestruct or skillet mode.

I have recently also been one of the ones whose palm profile commited suicide loosing COUNTLESS amount of BUSINESS information, Contacts, & notes.

I looooove webos and this phone but its just not fully usable if at some not far off point it will turn itself into a beautiful paperweight.

I no longer know what to do... my newest pre has yet again followed suit and become worst than all the ones before, I don't have time to babysit and coax it back into having a signal every 30sec-5min so that I know i'm getting emails, text, and calls.

And Palm sits not saying anything while KNOWING this is a prevailing problem with the phone.... how can I remain loyal knowing they'd rather sweep this under the rug?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Similarly, I have 4 lines and I don't think I would eat approx $800 in ETF's over a refurbish issue. Why not just select a different phone and get them (Sprint) to switch you. Certainly after enough exchanges they would be obligated to offer a different product.

OTOH, and I'm not questioning the OP, I think many people expect perfection from a phone. It's just a piece of electronic gadgetry like all other electronic gadgety - to expect more than that is silly. Keep in mind we are still on the 1st gen Pre and I would not expect to see ANY improvements in construction until Pre II.
    Good luck with your new provider. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Sometimes it just happens.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    It's just a piece of electronic gadgetry like all other electronic gadgety - to expect more than that is silly. Keep in mind we are still on the 1st gen Pre and I would not expect to see ANY improvements in construction until Pre II.
    Devil's advocate here. While it is a gadget, as a consumer I expect a gadget I pay for to work. Shouldn't companies (in this case Palm, not Sprint) be culpable for a defective product they manufactured?

Not for nothing, but If I buy a new item and it doesn't work within the warranty period (and providing the problem wasn't from mis-usage), I want a new one. IMO, anything else is unacceptable.
    Knock on wood but I've had no problems like you stated; I have 4 friends who also have pres with no problems. I have read problems on here though. I again knock on wood because I have no probelms.

oh and I never lose my signal except behind the mountain on the way home from work....but no one's cell phone gets a signal there.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    Knock on wood but I've had no problems like you stated; I have 4 friends who also have pres with no problems. I have read problems on here though. I again knock on wood because I have no probelms.

oh and I never lose my signal except behind the mountain on the way home from work....but no one's cell phone gets a signal there.
    ditto

I have however been more frequently getting freezes/restarts though. Getting effing annoying.
    Yeah - that GPU update needs to happen ASAP.

Either that or at least turn down the fluff - I dont need my menu to scroll into view if it means I have to wait 3 seconds for it to happen - just make it show up so I can do what I want to do with it. Also - the "bounce" at the top and bottom of pages / webpages, ect needs to be trimmed. It's too overdrawn, takes too long, and NEVER happens smoothly... Increase the spring constant on this (harder spring = less bounce = less time spent) please.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhorn View Post
    And Palm sits not saying anything while KNOWING this is a prevailing problem with the phone.... how can I remain loyal knowing they'd rather sweep this under the rug?
    I know logical discussion is usually a waste of time in a rant thread, but ...

If the "prevailing problem" is overheating, massive battery drain, and loss of signal ... then I would respectfully disagree that everyone suffers from this and Palm is trying to hide it. Sorry you're having such problems, but I check this forum and the net in general every day for Palm/Pre/WebOS news, and I haven't seen where this is a widespread problem (not to mention that I've never had any such problem).
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Sound like you are experiencing signal issues, this will cause overheating because the phone is searching for a signal making the cpu work harder. This also requires more power and will drain a battery very quickly.
    If you are in an area where the signal is not strong make sure that you have roaming turned on for both voice and data.
    If you are in area that has good signal then the phone is defective, get it replaced.
    I have had even very basic phones that did the overheating and power issue when there was a poor signal issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I know logical discussion is usually a waste of time in a rant thread, but ...

If the "prevailing problem" is overheating, massive battery drain, and loss of signal ... then I would respectfully disagree that everyone suffers from this and Palm is trying to hide it. Sorry you're having such problems, but I check this forum and the net in general every day for Palm/Pre/WebOS news, and I haven't seen where this is a widespread problem (not to mention that I've never had any such problem).
    Well as someone who also frequents these sites and has of course looked up the problem numerous times I can say that there are an overwhelming number of users experiencing the same thing.

I didn't post here to say everyone is experiencing it (nor did I), I know there are pre's that work just fine and i'm sure if everyone who didn't experience these problems posted as some are doing it would be pages long, so not looking for that either way.

Of course on 1st thought it would sound like a signal issue but its not at all, if it were it would have NO SIGNAL, ROAM, or NO BARs, not jumping from full signal to shutting everything off and saying Phone Offline while heating up. The phone works fine for a number of months or weeks but eventually starts getting buggy and flips in and out into this mode. But not here to ask people who haven't experienced the problem to solve it, i've worked with it long enough to know the work around but as I stated DON'T have time to do that every few minutes just so I can get the BASICS like phone calls, text, and emails.

This was posted to show how a loyal customer for YEARS has wavering loyalty in the wake of Palm's lack of attention to a problem that MANY of its customers are experiencing (not here to argue that others are or aren't experiencing this when I KNOW im not alone and have gotten multiple phones that will do this).
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    Sound like you are experiencing signal issues, this will cause overheating because the phone is searching for a signal making the cpu work harder. This also requires more power and will drain a battery very quickly.
    If you are in an area where the signal is not strong make sure that you have roaming turned on for both voice and data.
    If you are in area that has good signal then the phone is defective, get it replaced.
    I have had even very basic phones that did the overheating and power issue when there was a poor signal issue.
    I have been wondering why mines getting so hot (overheating) now this explains it! I have the worst coverage where i live. Thank god for free roaming haha.

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    Devil's advocate here. While it is a gadget, as a consumer I expect a gadget I pay for to work. Shouldn't companies (in this case Palm, not Sprint) be culpable for a defective product they manufactured?

Not for nothing, but If I buy a new item and it doesn't work within the warranty period (and providing the problem wasn't from mis-usage), I want a new one. IMO, anything else is unacceptable.
    I can't think of a single company that will send you out a NEW device when it breaks in warranty versus repairing the old one or sending you a refurbished device first. It doesn't make business sense. In most cases the refurbs work the same, and they cost much less to fix and send out one rather than send an entirely new handset that they haven't made money off of yet.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Does this happen everywhere? No matter how good the signal is? Never seen this happen once with my pre - sorry it's such a problem for you. If it's something that happens mostly at home, then consider getting an Airave. Your signal will be more consistent and the battery drain will stop. If it's happening everywhere/all the time, return the phone and get a new one.

I have frustrations with the Pre, too. Lag, lag and more lag. But overall, I've liked it more than my other phones. Praying for an update/GPU access that makes the phone rock. Hope you can resolve this. Hate to lose fellow Palm loyalists.
    The lag is due to them being lazy not enabling the GPU. I know they have put alot ou for the phone. it still in my mind doesn't make up for the fact that the CPU does everything. Now if this phone had the GPU enabled then I think it would be alot faster and smoother UI.

I can tell you right now that when flash is working. Im not gonna wanna even see how bad and slow it may run on the web. Im hoping for 2.0 or sometime soon its enabled!
    I have been with Palm since it it was Handspring... and from then I have been a mouthpiece for the company and its products and swearing to nothing else comparing.

I have recently also been one of the ones whose palm profile commited suicide loosing COUNTLESS amount of BUSINESS information, Contacts, & notes.
    You kinda lost me there. Being the Palm customer since the Handspring days that you are, i'm just curious. How did you use your Treo when it came to contacts?

Surely you synced with palm desktop or outlook when you were a treo user. Hard to imagine a loyal "mouthpiece" and self proclaimed spokesman of the Treo not doing so.

Why would you stop using a smartphone in this manner? You had your "countless" amount of business info on your Pre and wasn't syncing it AT ALL?
    Lost you how? The Treo & Palm Pre are two different devices. Local syncing and having a cloud service such as palm profile arent the same thing, not sure why you are trying to pass it off as such.

As far as syncing with my outlook all my contacts aren't contained within that profile. Nor did I notice that my profile had stopped syncing for some time (so any new numbers I had were lost in space).

Regardless didn't have a way to sync my memo pads, notes, and other lost business info as it would have with treo syncing.

But there is no need to question my validaty or utilize quotation marks to show your lack of belief in what I say. It is what it is so I dont see a point in validating myself any further for whatever purpose you are seeking.
    I have been with Palm since it it was Handspring... and from then I have been a mouthpiece for the company and its products and swearing to nothing else comparing. Of course I was one of the ones in line day one ready to snatch up the company savior and parade it around town.

And through all of this I am afraid i'm coming to a crossroads with this phone & company.

I'm not sure how many replacements I can continue to get because this phone can't perform the basic functions such as keeping a charge & allowing me to make calls.

Every replacement I get at some point will turn into one of those God forsaken "Phone Offline" phones while draining the battery at a clocked 37.20% per hour (last clocked speed). And cooking my thigh while in my pocket because its set itself to selfdestruct or skillet mode.

I looooove webos and this phone but its just not fully usable if at some not far off point it will turn itself into a beautiful paperweight.

I no longer know what to do... my newest pre has yet again followed suit and become worst than all the ones before, I don't have time to babysit and coax it back into having a signal every 30sec-5min so that I know i'm getting emails, text, and calls.

I traced my phone offline problem to having too many re-occurring appointments in my google calendar. To fix this... I make the re-occurring appointments for a limited time only... aka a couple of months.

If you get the phone offline thing again and you are using google calendar. Try deleting it. Surprisingly it worked for me.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You are a true fan.
    Do not hack the phone , no homebrew , no devoloper mode
    and update PRL.
    See if this fixes your problems.

If not , don't bother with Pre, buy something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    Does this happen everywhere? No matter how good the signal is? Never seen this happen once with my pre - sorry it's such a problem for you. If it's something that happens mostly at home, then consider getting an Airave. Your signal will be more consistent and the battery drain will stop. If it's happening everywhere/all the time, return the phone and get a new one.

I have frustrations with the Pre, too. Lag, lag and more lag. But overall, I've liked it more than my other phones. Praying for an update/GPU access that makes the phone rock. Hope you can resolve this. Hate to lose fellow Palm loyalists.
    Again signal strength is NOT an issue for me. I work IN times square in New York City aka the cross roads of the world. This would be one of the last places to worry about signal strength lol. And I live 10min away from times sq. (drive).

But I think you guys are missing me saying that it works FINE for an extended period. So signal strength all that is always at 100% for me outside of these periods. Then one day it all begins it heats up and starts flicking on and off from PHONE OFFLINE... which is NOT Roam, NOT low/no signal, and NOT a signal problem.

During the phone offline times, while trying to charge the battery will continue to decrease and not charge or either charge extreeeemly slowly.

If you guys looked it up you will see that as stated we have work arounds. (i.e. deleting Google profile, and toggling from Airplane Mode on/off). If this were a signal problem you would NOT be able to toggle Airplane Mode on then off and magically now have a signal and all the functions return. So lets just take that off the table because as stated its NOT the problem.

But either way the solution isn't going to come from you guys (unless you work for Palm lol). So didn't post to get one (well unless you were in the same boat and found the holy grail).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    I traced my phone offline problem to having too many re-occurring appointments in my google calendar. To fix this... I make the re-occurring appointments for a limited time only... aka a couple of months.

If you get the phone offline thing again and you are using google calendar. Try deleting it. Surprisingly it worked for me.
    I did that with my old phone I deleted and it drastically decreased the phone offline times. Other problems made me get a new one (proximity sensor failure), but now it has come back to this new phone and I haven't even added Google account to it.