View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 225 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108 ... LastLast
    The bottom line is this is a fan forum or a forum to learn how to do things with your phone. We're not Palm. If you have suggestions for what Palm should do, they have a site for that and that's where it should be posted.

To describe bugs or issues is appropriate if it's posted in the bug or issue thread (they have stickys and are easy to find). To create new threads to bring up issues that have already been mentioned in the forum creates a morass of threads that makes the forum less useful for people who are viewing new posts to get useful information.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    This is an utterly absurd argument to make and one that you deep down cannot possibly believe, i love this phone too but this is fanboyism and being an apologist at it's best!

less that a percent of Pre users will root their phone and less than a tenth of a percent will "make their own apps", what about the people that want a phone that works from the factory. Please stop the absurdity.

I have the patience to wait it out, but apparently many individuals here don't.
    Whats absurd is your unfounded percentages. Just look at the number of homebrew apps, and the number of apps in the App catelog? What does that tell you, just look at the number of individuals hacking away at the phone modding it. Wait all you want, like some gov bailout. I for one will not wait for King Palm to release un-impressing applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The same can be said for Apple and most of their hardware. Having had to deal with a 3g for a year I can safely say that it was far from glitch free. And I've seen my fair share of crappy Apple hardware in general.
    The only Apple hardware I have any experiances with are iPods. We did have problems with one of the hard drive models but aside from that the hardware has been pretty solid.

I have never owned an iPhone but my wife does have an iPod touch. I don't much like the keyboard but the only application on it that I think really sucks is the email client which is complete garbage IMHO.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 08/25/2009 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    ... look at what's going on - average joes are creating homebrew applications that allow you to do things like categorize your contacts, change your alert tones, scrub through your mp3s and more...things the Pre is SUPPOSED to do from the start. What is Palm doing? Who's making the Pre - Palm or its users?
    Wow, with respect - I feel the collaboration and energy of the 'average Joe's' is refreshing. I applaud Palm for insuring there is a stable development platform for Joe's to rock and roll on. I have the pleasure of working with developers on a daily basis (people much smarter than I) who take pride in making things "just a little better". They have my respect. Keep Cranking Out Home Brews. I'll be your beta tester any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustVin View Post
    Wow, with respect - I feel the collaboration and energy of the 'average Joe's' is refreshing. I applaud Palm for insuring there is a stable development platform for Joe's to rock and roll on.
    What current Smartphones don't have a stable development platform?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Whats absurd is your unfounded percentages. Just look at the number of homebrew apps, and the number of apps in the App catelog? What does that tell you, just look at the number of individuals hacking away at the phone modding it. Wait all you want, like some gov bailout. I for one will not wait for King Palm to release un-impressing applications.
    Then don't wait, sell your phone and get another. seems simple to me.
    or you can stop making absurd statements like Palm is leaving it up to the user base to fill in the gaps in the usability.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    What current Smartphones don't have a stable development platform?
    I think you missed his point. It wasn't the "stable development platform" that was special to Palm; it was the accessibility to "average Joe"

I feel the collaboration and energy of the 'average Joe's' is refreshing. I applaud Palm for insuring there is a stable development platform for Joe's to rock and roll on.
    The "average Joe" certainly can't program on the iPhone, nor could they on the PalmOS.
    HP - thank you for clarifying my point. Accessibility for developers, being allowed the freedom to craft and design.
    Out of the box the Pre did much of what I need on a daily basis (including making calls!) and I'm sure Palms' focus was to bring a stable (there's that word again) platform to market - something that can be built on. It's like a 'not-so-blank' canvas that a community comes together and enhances. I'm not going to root my pre (I'm much to dumb to attempt it); I am going to continue to respect the efforts of the people in their garages making new and exciting apps.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Then don't wait, sell your phone and get another. seems simple to me.
    or you can stop making absurd statements like Palm is leaving it up to the user base to fill in the gaps in the usability.
    I know what I want in an application, so instead of waiting on Palm I create it myself, or check our the homebrew. But sit there and continue to wait, I'm sure your device is so interesting with the numerous 30 apps available
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think you missed his point. It wasn't the "stable development platform" that was special to Palm; it was the accessibility to "average Joe"

The "average Joe" certainly can't program on the iPhone, nor could they on the PalmOS.
    That's an interesting question. Could someone who was not capable of developing applications for the iPhone or Android be able to write a moderately complex application for WebOS.

Many members of the WebOS Homebrew community clearly have prior Unix/Linux experiance. Many of those also appear to have Java and or C experiance. I am fairly confident that those developers would be able to write software for the iPhone or Android.

I am willing to concede that the guy who wrote the Pre Fart possibly app may not be able to write an iPhone fart app. I was surprised that he elected to make his app closed source though. He must know that anyone with basic Unix skills can pull up the source code should they wish too.
    Out of the box the Pre did much of what I need on a daily basis (including making calls!) and I'm sure Palms' focus was to bring a stable (there's that word again) platform to market
    Is any company trying to bring an unstable platform to market? Or a phone which can't make calls.
    Is any company trying to bring an unstable platform to market? Or a phone which can't make calls.
    Again you miss the point of my post.
    Perhaps if you didn't fill your posts with praise for Palm for managing to do things like produce a phone that can actually make phone calls they would be easier to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    I know what I want in an application, so instead of waiting on Palm I create it myself, or check our the homebrew. But sit there and continue to wait, I'm sure your device is so interesting with the numerous 30 apps available
    lol why so serious? I don't mind waiting, I have the following:

1. A desktop computer with mad "appz"
    2. A laptop computer with more mad "appz"
    3. A Ipod touch with hundreds of "appz"
    4. A life

So i will sit and continue to wait sir, Like i said, I've done the phone as a hobby thing...now i just want a phone that works. I could easily "root" my pre, I did have a windows mobile phone with many custom roms installed.

But again it's foolish to posit that WebOs should be a blank canvass.
    That kind of thinking will bankrupt palm. quickly.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    That's an interesting question. Could someone who was not capable of developing applications for the iPhone or Android be able to write a moderately complex application for WebOS.

Many members of the WebOS Homebrew community clearly have prior Unix/Linux experiance. Many of those also appear to have Java and or C experiance. I am fairly confident that those developers would be able to write software for the iPhone or Android.

I am willing to concede that the guy who wrote the Pre Fart possibly app may not be able to write an iPhone fart app. I was surprised that he elected to make his app closed source though. He must know that anyone with basic Unix skills can pull up the source code should they wish too.
    Wakeup,
    you might be the code guru, but folks that I know around me (this includes developers) were not able to install file coaster. I helped five of them to setup the filecoaster so that they can download homebrew apps.

Do not assume that all those who downloaded homebrew are UNIX savvy.
    Besides , no of folks who are installing homebrew are not that many.
    260000 in the last week out of a total of 150 apps , that number is about 2K to 3K.

If you need more clarification ask Dieter.
    I believe there are about 5K - 10K phones that have homebrew as opposed to 300K - 400K total sold.

Thats about 7% of the pre owners ( guestimate).
    This 7% is more vocal active user community , the rest of the 93% are just fine with their phone ( except the LAG in phone app , which I agree that PALM dropped the ball on).
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Define unstable ?

My phone is stable , and makes call too.

Wait a sec, the 300K - 400K folks who bought Pre are not making calls ?
    Am I missing anthing ?

There's multiple issues involved here, I'll touch on a couple. These are all "average Joe" type things:

• Accessibility - Palm not only allows the phone to be easily accessed, they encouraged it by creating the tools to do so, then freely disributing them.
    • Development - The iPhone and the PalmOS devices (and I'm sure most other phones) require an SDK to really be able to produce software. They're not (typically) free downloads like they are for the Pre. In addition, the "average Joe" doesn't even have to have the SDK on the Pre to jump into it.
    • Ease of Modification There are lots of "average Joe's", just like me, that lack either the desire, aptitude, skill, or imagination (I'm still trying to figure out which applies to me) to write a program. However, we have the ability to look at what someone else has done, and adapt it to our own needs. I wouldn't have touched that on my PalmOS phones, and doubt I could on the others. I've been able to modify (pretty heavily in some cases) many of the programs on the Pre.
    • Other Contributions - You only have to read some of the posts on this forum to get an idea of the number of "average Joes" that claim no programming skills, and no knowledge of Linux, that are being coached through what to do, and suddenly become "contributors". This is stuff I've never seen with another phone. The "themes" alone are pretty amazing. While not programming, they are representative of the "open to the average Joe" that's being talked about.

Finally, surely you know that the ability to read someone else's code has nothing to do with whether or not it's "open source", which has to do with licensing, not the ability (or lack of same) to see the source.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Wakeup,
    you might be the code guru, but folks that I know around me (this includes developers) were not able to install file coaster. I helped five of them to setup the filecoaster so that they can download homebrew apps.

Do not assume that all those who downloaded homebrew are UNIX savvy.
    Besides , no of folks who are installing homebrew are not that many.
    260000 in the last week out of a total of 150 apps , that number is about 2K to 3K.
    I think you're mixing up running homebrew apps with ADGrant's comment on developing homebrew apps. How many "I've-never-programmed-before-but-wow-this-WebOS-stuff-is-so-easy-to-write-programs-for" homebrew developers do you think there are? I'm guessing none.

I do find it telling that some of the developer around you were "unable to install filecoaster." Doesn't sound like a very "average Joe" process to me.
    I suspect it's deliberate. There are some folks on this forum that despise the fact that not only are there those of us that like the device we bought, but the ranks are swelling...
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Define unstable ?

My phone is stable , and makes call too.

Wait a sec, the 300K - 400K folks who bought Pre are not making calls ?
    Am I missing anthing ?
    Yes, the point of my post.