View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 76 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2666717273747576777879808186126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 4493
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I have had WM phones for years, I have an Ipod touch and I recently got the pre. Every forum I have ever been on for any type of device be it WM, WebOS, Iphone or Android has a thread like this - why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I don't really buy into the "should be native" argument. I bought it, knowing what the features were. Next June, if there's a phone that better meets my needs, I'll get it. For now, I just appreciate that we live in a time with such cool gadgets!
    Weren't you surprised to see what was missing? Don't tell me you knew what would be missing, because you know that stuff wasn't announced, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Agree with the rest. I don't see to what to switch. I personally think webOS is so much fun and has still so much more potential. I've played with iPhone & Android (not 2.0) and they just don't "feel" the same. Only when Palm really won't survive (or does not exploit the webOS potential) and webOS becomes unsupported I will jump ship.
    He has a point. If you're on Sprint, what are you going to jump ship to? If you've lasted this long with the Pre, you may as well wait til the end of spring or early summer.

I'm sure people will spout off Hero or Moment. But neither are a significant upgrade. You could argue they'd be a downgrade because of the hardware. IMO, android is basically WM7 everyone has been waiting for but includes all the inherent problems from WM. Fragmentation, relying on carrier & manufacturer for upgrades and support, google not having any incentive, no support from google, etc. With various androids running different versions..1.5, 1.6, 2.0, soon to be 2.1....and devs having to make apps compatible with that mess.

I'd wait and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by adesonic View Post
    ... Every forum I have ever been on for any type of device be it WM, WebOS, Iphone or Android has a thread like this - why is that?
    Because, by and large, people who are happy with the product (be that phone, MMORPG, big screen television, or what-have-you) don't post on forums because they don't have a reason to. It's mainly people with problems who post looking for answers, a place to vent, or trolls looking to stir up drama.

Kind of like how you rarely see any good news on (or in) the news. No one wants to see the story about the scouts who helped a senior citizen rid their property of trash, or all the good things the Mayor has done. It doesn't sell.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 11/09/2009 at 07:31 AM.
    after June 2010 if there is a new webos device i like or something way better, i am hooked
    First off, why do you keep posting about how much the Pre sucks etc etc? Every other news article has you negatively opining in the comments and a good 70% of your forum posts are negative as well. If you're truly that unhappy with the Pre, I'd suggest you get on the horn with Sprint retentions and see what they'll do for you.

But to answer your question: I'd probably jump ship for a Droid-equivalent phone on Sprint if WebOS hasn't matured by the time such a phone is released. The Droid is the only phone out right now that can compete with the Pre in my opinion (iPhone doesn't count strictly based on how terrible ATT is), so if I can get one down the road without spending tons of dough then it's goodbye Palm. I've been a Palm-only guy since the Handspring Visor Deluxe came out in high school, but they do need to get their butts in gear with WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Weren't you surprised to see what was missing? Don't tell me you knew what would be missing, because you know that stuff wasn't announced, right?
    To me, this 'missing' stuff is really inconsequential.. it is "i would like to have eventually' but nothing of immediate necessity. Video capture.. yeah would be nice.. but I really don't actually 'need' it. I know it will come out eventually. Other stuff I just use patches. The calender is a little slow but not to the point where I can't use it... then I always have the option of using classic's calender if I want. Honestly, there isn't a lot this phone can't do right now except minor things like shazam or video capture... games is a bit of a bigger issue, but honestly, using games on phones sucks anyways.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    No, because I didn't buy mine on launch day. I waited and did research. Read reviews. Read this forum. This "missing functionality?" By and large, things I don't use. I have never forwarded a text in my life. I don't use my phone as a video camera. The calendar? Functions well, for me, for both work (organizing projects, scheduling meetings and conference calls, etc.), and school (keeping track of course work). The app catalog? I understand I am using the early days of a version 1 product. Like people who bought the G1. So, I'm good and will be with it until the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    First off, why do you keep posting about how much the Pre sucks etc etc? Every other news article has you negatively opining in the comments and a good 70% of your forum posts are negative as well. If you're truly that unhappy with the Pre, I'd suggest you get on the horn with Sprint retentions and see what they'll do for you.

But to answer your question: I'd probably jump ship for a Droid-equivalent phone on Sprint if WebOS hasn't matured by the time such a phone is released. The Droid is the only phone out right now that can compete with the Pre in my opinion (iPhone doesn't count strictly based on how terrible ATT is), so if I can get one down the road without spending tons of dough then it's goodbye Palm. I've been a Palm-only guy since the Handspring Visor Deluxe came out in high school, but they do need to get their butts in gear with WebOS.
    Leathal: I'm not trying to incite anybody, i'm just asking a simple question. That's all.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I still hold my Centro even that i have palm Pre, im gettin used Centro and im trying to deal with Palm pre slowly.
    I love my Cetro and im thinking to sell my Palm Pre!!!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I just want to be able to process email in a half productive manner. Performance on email on the Pre varies between very mediocre, to sucks. If any of you had used ChatterEmail on the Palm OS on a device with the fraction of the hardware as the Pre, you know what I mean.

NewsRoom is a ground breaking pre app in terms of STYLE and SPEED. Palm needs to study their design and come up with a way to keep the sizzle, but not make it so bad that at times I'd rather wait till I get to my PC to check my email.
    Mark F Chinsky
    If the Touch HD comes out with Sprint, or a good Android phone, I'm jumping. The Pre has a lot of good traits, but it's just not where it needs to be.
    I'm on my third Pre, I've never had to replace any of my HTC devices. Palm doesn't have enough quality control in their manufacturing. Getting it replaced or fixed is done without hassle, but personally I shouldn't have to get it replaced that many times.
    Currently, it doesn't have flash. I know there are plans to incorporate it, but truth is, it's not here now, and there is not a date. This is something that should have been done before release. Same goes for the GPU, it has the capability of being used, but it's not helping, and there is no date.
    There are tons of functionality things that I could also list, but they're miniscule.

The one thing that really makes me like my Pre, is the quasi-open source OS that it has, and the Homebrew community. If Homebrew didn't exist, I would have ditched it a long time ago.
    Next summer when I can get another upgrade, but I will look @ the latest WebOS phone. Right now the big thing I want is the GPU to get some drivers, I had a HTC touch for a year and they never used the hardware to its potential, it also had a decent GPU that was never used. Palm don't become another HTC!
    I'll trade you my Centro for your Pre.
    When I first got the Pre, I was disappointed in the lack of features, however with the WebOS quick install tool and getting used to the limitations, I found that I really haven't missed the features the Centro had (chatteremail's full of features). The contact management is awesome if you use an online service like gmail's contacts, yahoo contacts, facebook, linkedin., etc. If you only used your outlook contacts and did the palm sync with it then, yes, you lose that functionality unless you use official classic app to support your old Palm OS applications. Calendaring is also decent, however still needs some fixes. I love the fact that I can sync to my work's exchange server while also syching to Google calendar. Of course the other things is that I use the Tweaks in the WebOS quick install.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    He has a point. If you're on Sprint, what are you going to jump ship to? If you've lasted this long with the Pre, you may as well wait til the end of spring or early summer.

I'm sure people will spout off Hero or Moment. But neither are a significant upgrade. You could argue they'd be a downgrade because of the hardware. IMO, android is basically WM7 everyone has been waiting for but includes all the inherent problems from WM. Fragmentation, relying on carrier & manufacturer for upgrades and support, google not having any incentive, no support from google, etc. With various androids running different versions..1.5, 1.6, 2.0, soon to be 2.1....and devs having to make apps compatible with that mess.

I'd wait and see what happens.
    Interestingly enough, the wait is what's causing the jumping of ship.

Face it...the cycle for most smartphone geeks is 12 months. After that point, you either get an early upgrade on your carrier or sell what you have on eBay or Craigslist to get the latest and greatest.

And that is assuming that you're actually HAPPY with what you have at the time. For a number of Pre owners, they aren't and there's no reason to wait even if they aren't planning to leave Sprint. Sprint has medium-to-high-end options for each of the four major operating systems (Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Android, and WebOS). Why sit around pining for text forwarding or options without patching or video recording or stable hardware when you can have it NOW? Palm may or may not address those things in the next update. Or the one after that. They're not talking, so they're not GIVING these people a reason to stay.

As long as the Hero or Moment works for someone NOW, they don't have to worry about fragmentation and whatever because something new will be along in 6-12 months anyway.

Who knows what's going to happen with Palm in that timeframe? Will they offer new features? Fix old ones? Have new hardware that's an upgrade or keep doubling down on crippled cheapies like the Pixi?

What does it matter if Palm has way more incentive and ability than Google to offer timely updates when they seem incapable of executing them effectively and don't tell you anything about what is coming?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    When it comes up to contract renewal time, I will look at what phones are available and make my decision then.

The Pre isn't perfect but it does everything I need it to and more. I'm betting that the next phone I own (whatever that may be) will have features I love along with certain things that irritate me just like the Pre.
    I've got no plans to jump ship. I mean, I really like the phone. Will there be better ones in the next 12 months? Probably. Better enough that I am willing to switch? Nope. Plus, I really like that I can customize and hack things, and Doctor it if I have to. To be honest, I bought the phone based on what I'd read and knew, but like it even better now. I look forward to the OS updates, to the new apps, to tweaking things... Sure, I hate waiting for updates (like everyone else) but really, it's no big deal. Things work great for me, I love my Touchstones (especially the one in the car), I've hacked Sprint Nav onto my Bell phone... What's not to love??
    I think you guys know how I feel about it.

I was just wondering what YOUR time frame is. (You can call me "nosy" or "that ***** so and so DBD" ... It's ok. I've been called worse. Usually by my own wife. Sometimes other people's wives too ... no, just kiddng)
    When the device no longer suits my needs.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    jump from my Pre? No. jump from Sprint. Probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but if the phone doesn't work for you get what does. What's the point of complaining about it?
    Not just complaining, but evangelistic complaining. I've never seen such a bunch of "I don't like it, who's with me?" type of folks ever.

It's mind boggling. Really. The Treo line (which I thought was great) had tons more problems than my Pre. I had to reset it just about every day, the browser was worthless, and I had spent well over $1k to get it to do what I wanted (or close to it). On top of all that, the decisions about the line eventually almost bankrupted the company.

In spite of all of that, I don't remember seeing the constant barrage of vitriol about it like I do the Pre.

Just odd.