View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 75 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2565707172737475767778798085125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 4493
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    well, it would show progress.

who knows what the hold up and could be technical and they just cant release sooner but if it were possible i would be updating on a weekly basis if possible even if it's to fix little patches that are already out unofficially to show progress.
    Woh woh woh. No. That's not the smart thing to do. Every release must go through a Quality and Assurance test cycle. These are not easy, nor fast. Besides testing changes that were specified in the release, they also have to regression testing to ensure that things that did work still do. Usually the regression testing includes a general overview test of basic functionality, plus additional targeted tests around areas that experienced a change. If you're smart, you do regression tests on every release to ensure you don't release more bugs than you fixed.

But, not only does Palm have to go through their own Q&A, they have to go through the carrier's Q&A.

Personally I think Palm is moving too fast. Other systems like Android and iPhone usually follow a yearly major update. At Palm, they're running on incremental monthly releases. That has to be killing the SV people...

Anyways, to the OP. Yeah, Pre isn't for everyone. Those who eat, sleep, and shower with their phone taped to their hand probably can't use the Pre in its current form. For me, it works quite well. At least I can browse the internet without having Opera Mini randomly crashing on me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    I use the Calendar in Classic. I usually just keep a Classic card open to avoid delays. I like the categories in the old Palm OS contacts so I continue to use the Palm OS contacts. Classic also syncs well with Palm Desktop. I hotsync nearly daily with my laptop via Bluetooth. I do wish that the Pre were a little snappier like just about everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Those who eat, sleep, and shower with their phone taped to their hand probably can't use the Pre in its current form.
    Yeah I think that's exactly what I need from my smartphone, I need it to work and work well. I must be getting old (at 33), I thought I was early an early adopter, but I'm not anymore In fact, I didn't root my pre becuase I didn't have the time or the mental energy because it's spent at work.
    Does suck. It wasn't only the calendar for me but i was dropping too many phone calls. Everytime the phone rang it was 50-50 that i would answer in time.

There's a low end POS idea Palm had called a Pixi releasing next week. But i can't help but think a high end slab with a big high rez screen would have helped Palm a lot more. (nope, it wouldn't help with calendar or phone, but it'd have made people more patient) For a company whose future depends on the first few devices, Palm didn't exactly take a risk.

I do see people dropping Palm...even some of Palm's biggest fans a few months ago have had enough.
    well, i forgot they have to probably submit updates to their carrier and such and takes time... but they have done well in the beginning to send updates at a decent pace. apple did small updates now and then when needed besides their annual big updates.

if they are going as fast as possible and just cant go any faster... again, they should be using twitter or the forums here to maintain communication and give some insight as far as what they are doing and timetable. i know other companies may not do this but they are in a unique situation which require unique solutions. much better than silence and watching people give up and move platforms... i would be on twitter saying, "whoa buckaroos, just wait a week and we'll be fixing bugs and getting ready to release flash and more to come in december." That would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Woh woh woh. No. That's not the smart thing to do. Every release must go through a Quality and Assurance test cycle. These are not easy, nor fast. Besides testing changes that were specified in the release, they also have to regression testing to ensure that things that did work still do. Usually the regression testing includes a general overview test of basic functionality, plus additional targeted tests around areas that experienced a change. If you're smart, you do regression tests on every release to ensure you don't release more bugs than you fixed.

But, not only does Palm have to go through their own Q&A, they have to go through the carrier's Q&A.

Personally I think Palm is moving too fast. Other systems like Android and iPhone usually follow a yearly major update. At Palm, they're running on incremental monthly releases. That has to be killing the SV people...

Anyways, to the OP. Yeah, Pre isn't for everyone. Those who eat, sleep, and shower with their phone taped to their hand probably can't use the Pre in its current form. For me, it works quite well. At least I can browse the internet without having Opera Mini randomly crashing on me...
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    I use the Calendar in Classic. I usually just keep a Classic card open to avoid delays. I like the categories in the old Palm OS contacts so I continue to use the Palm OS contacts. Classic also syncs well with Palm Desktop. I hotsync nearly daily with my laptop via Bluetooth. I do wish that the Pre were a little snappier like just about everyone else.
    I might be interested in that, can you tell me more about how you sync and have your system set up. So you actually use the Palm Desktop (from the centro? treo?), sounds convoluted but I'm interested in hearing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    I must be getting old (at 33), I thought I was early an early adopter, but I'm not anymore In fact, I didn't root my pre becuase I didn't have the time or the mental energy because it's spent at work.
    I think that's the case and there's probably a generational gap at play on these threads. I've tinkered enough, now I just want a turnkey solution because I have more important things to do. It bothers me that Palm is actively encouraging patching, as if it was a substitute for delivering quality.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I understand Palm has limited resources, but I'd expect them to keep their base happy. For those of you interested in Palm's past, go check out "Piloting Palm" at your library. Its a great read
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I think that's the case and there's probably a generational gap at play on these threads. I've tinkered enough, now I just want a turnkey solution because I have more important things to do. It bothers me that Palm is actively encouraging patching, as if it was a substitute for delivering quality.
    They did a similar thing with the treo 650, remember Shadowmite mysteriously finding the installer or something and doing the work of palm. I think it may have to do with Sprint's requirements and Palm being able to say "It wasn't us!" But the pre is a different issue, its not ready. Unlike the original Palm that did the PIM better than anything at the time - the pre is not that kind of device.
    The direction of palm is moving more towards flash & salemanship instead of substance. I think its a corporate shift due to an Apple guy running things instead of a Palm guy/gal. Jeff hawkins and donna dubinski are turning in their graves (figuratively because they are both living as far as I know)
    It is unfortunate that the Palm doesn't give you their own built-in option to hotsync the native WebOS calendar and contacts with Palm Desktop or some other desktop program that doesn't involve a 3rd party program. At least there are such alternatives though they are not exactly inexpensive ($30 for Classic, $30 for Chapura Echo, etc.). If Classic can do it through Bluetooth and WiFi, I wonder why file transfers aren't more frequently used via this method b/w the Pre and PC's.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    yeah its (7 lines) all $99 plans. I hope it gives me some clout.

regarding the pre, my wife refused to let me upgrade her from the Centro (even when she needs the camera) becuase of seeing me fumble and bumble with the calendar. she says "I will not give up my calendar for that."
    You do realize that with Classic you run the calender in emulation faster than the actual Centro right?
    I think you guys know how I feel about it.

I was just wondering what YOUR time frame is. (You can call me "nosy" or "that ***** so and so DBD" ... It's ok. I've been called worse. Usually by my own wife. Sometimes other people's wives too ... no, just kiddng)
    I've had a lot of smart phones and I always want the newest thing, but I still don't plan on jumping ship at least for another 9 months. I'm hoping in that time frame a new Pre comes out. I've never had so much fun with a phone as I've had with the Pre.

Just my 2 cents, but if the phone doesn't work for you get what does. What's the point of complaining about it?
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    jump **** what ?

I love my palm pre. I have absolutely no complaints with this phone.besides the phone is only gonna getter as time goes on.
    I won't in foreseeable future.

I would jump after my contract is out and there is an attractive product that are significantly better in the market. Neither of the conditions is true at this point.
    Same here - this is a brilliant platform and deserves all our support.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Agree with the rest. I don't see to what to switch. I personally think webOS is so much fun and has still so much more potential. I've played with iPhone & Android (not 2.0) and they just don't "feel" the same. Only when Palm really won't survive (or does not exploit the webOS potential) and webOS becomes unsupported I will jump ship.
    It's not that I don't like webOS, I think it's beautiful. It's just that i'm running out of patience, waiting for functionality that should be native.
    I don't really buy into the "should be native" argument. I bought it, knowing what the features were. Next June, if there's a phone that better meets my needs, I'll get it. For now, I just appreciate that we live in a time with such cool gadgets!