View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 74 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677787984124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 4493
    Quote Originally Posted by frankysfree View Post
    Well if you think im trying to commit insurance fraud then why dont you report me!! either report me or shut up about the subject.

Im not some sleezebag trying to report my phone stolen so i can sell the replacement...
    Or, a third option.

Point out in a public forum that what you're proposing doing is probably insurance fraud.

Examples:
    • Some sleezebag reports a phone stolen so he can sell the replacement - Insurance fraud (and very likely to get caught, since stolen phones that are activated are pretty easy to track)
    • Some sleezebag deliberately breaks a phone so he can get a replacement (which won't really work, since Sprint's policy replaces it with the same model phone, they're used to dealing with sleezebags).
    can any body tell me how to download the network adapter drive for windows to b able to tether please i found that linux has one already installed
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I love my pre. Except for the whole "app limit". This is a bunch of BS, and really ****es me off. Just thought I'd vent.

BTW, I refuse to follow the instructions to change the partition the apps are installed on and all that.

Discuss. Flame. Whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by d4rk3 View Post
    I love my pre. Except for the whole "app limit". This is a bunch of BS, and really ****es me off. Just thought I'd vent.

BTW, I refuse to follow the instructions to change the partition the apps are installed on and all that.

Discuss. Flame. Whatever.
    Gee, I haven't heard that before. We all are ****ed off about it, just wait for a fix or sell the phone.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    hi all,

well i tried to keep up a bit with the thread from the beginning and as many had said everyone has an opinion...

i just wanted to point out a few ideas from a brand new palm pre user. im coming from bberry, htc (windows mobile) and regular tri-band phones, so I guess I can express the thinking of what a palm-rookie might expect to find in a new-last-generation-smartphone that has been created to dog fight iphone, android, etc.

im still learning many of the basics and thats why i find some pretty standar issues that a phone like this should have.

i think basic apps for calendar, music, messanging etc should be of must have before launching and not for homebrew (which i think its great to have dont get me wrong...).

on regular sms text messages, you cant even delete directly but need to go back to message panel to drag and delete... the trash can can't be deleted all at once but one by one...

maybe all these lil things have a solution that i havent been able to figure out yet, but a totally new user should have all these stuff worked out on the built in interface from the beginning.

im from Spain, so mine is a 1.1.3 webOS still, which is frustrating that the OS cant be updated for all and just not for non-gsm (i guess technical difficulties? well, then have them solved beforehand...

everybody would want a very personalized phone and we wont be happy ever bc we'd always want more but...basics, very basics like installer, theme installers, file managing, basic stuff for emailing, regular windows messenger etc are things most common user could use...

thanks for time to read the whole brick...

juanki
    Loving my Pre overall but missing the whole Visual Voicemail thing. And I wish I could get the sound,vibrate, and notification for my Emails.. And, multiple reminder times for the calendar... Otherwise, I'm a happy Pre user!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Ok so I had the problem where my pre would shut off at random times (not just when squeezed a little or when it was closed to firmly). I was on the verge of taking it back for a new one when it stopped - right around the last OS update. Now it's started shutting down randomnly again. When I mean randomly I mean when I haven't even touched it. Anybody else having this problem?
    I've had the pre since day one it came out and have 3 other's on my plan (family). I've used Palm since the treo 300 (600, 650, centro) so I don't mind being an early adopter and working with the manufacturer while they tweak it. But I am pretty certain I will be either switching back to Centro's or Hero's (demand sprint allow it). My set up is 4 Pre's all using hosted exchange.

My complaints with the Pre:

1. Calendar -
    a. Viewing Speed: it's so slow it is unusable. The only time I enter stuff in it is if I am sitting at my desk (with no one around waiting on me), but if I am I might as well use my outlook on my desktop.
    b. I've noticed recently when I look back over 1 month, many of my events are not syncing - they are in my outlook, but not on the pre. Huh!?!
    c. Entering in an event (when you find the date) is cumbersome and slow. Makes me long for the centro.

2. 3rd Party Applications -
    a. I bought Classic and Splash ID - I like the Diet and Exercise Assistant from Palm and Splash ID was required for me. I have yet to use splash ID because I need a syncing solution that I do not have to think about. So right now I have all my IDs actually on paper.

3. Palm Profile: I had a Pre break, so I had to exchange it. It did not reload my PAID APPS!?! Both classic and splash ID were not present so I downloaded them and it did not save my registration! Because I am so busy, one month later I have yet to load those apps.

4. No Palm provided Desktop syncing. I understand third party apps do it, but I want something supported by Palm itself so I can be sure of the quality and its continued development. I use hosted exchange for $10/month/account. Its OK, but I want my apps sync'd like old palms did.

5. Speed - apps are slow to load and phone app is slow. I used Palm OS devices so long that I could move through applications faster than the centro could keep up (but at least it would eventually, can't say that for the pre)

6. I really miss the d-pad - it made navigation fast, gestures are slow. I think the gesture area should have been or be ditched for a d pad and hard buttons. The gesture area does not add functionality.

7. Sounds - Really? only one sound for all alerts!?! Crazy volume system, sometimes when I lower the volume it looks like a music icon or a bell icon - there is no rhyme or reason to which one comes up (i think if watching video its a music icon) - how many times I've used the hardware mute button, turned on a youtube video (didn't want sound) to have it play audio at full blast and wake up my wife. It's like there was no attention to basic detail on this device (I know the bean counters made them get it out or they were sunk). Give me options of if I want the hard-mute button to mute alarm, videos, and alerts, or just calls.

8. Touchstone - love the charging, but hate that it answers a call when I pick it up. I use it as a business phone and get calls at all hours - at night my instinct is to grab it, which I do, it answers (and since I don't want to talk my only option is to quickly hang up and hope they call back and leave a message . . . haha)

9. Alarm - I loved mobileclock from palm os, but when i'm waking up I never know whether I've hit the snooze or off button, 1 day per week my alarm goes off again when I'm having my coffee, waking up one of the kids in the process . . . grr.
    Positives:

1. Sprint Navigation - never had GPS with other palm phones, I use it a lot now. But I think it was made me love the pre more than I should have, now I realize most smartphones on sprint have the same application.

2. Form Factor - I like the verticle slider design. Gives you large screen and physical keyboard.

3. Camera - I love the flash and 3mp camera. The Hero has no flash (I think), so that kinda stinks.

Essentially, looking at the pros and cons for my use. I am fairly certain I am going to leave Palm. I'm going to wait until next weeks update - hoping the speed issues will be resolved. I may live with it then. We will see.

Any of you using the Hero and think it would address my main complaints? Thanks.
    Last edited by craigdts; 11/08/2009 at 05:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    If you're looking for speed i don't know if the Hero is for you.

Also, are you willing to pay full price?
    yeah I'm afraid of that (with the Hero) thats why I am considering returning to the Centro.

No I'm not willing to pay full price - I pay sprint $850/month and would hope their retention department will make things right for me.
    I think from watching this forum and others the Pre is dying.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    yeah I'm afraid of that (with the Hero) thats why I am considering returning to the Centro.

No I'm not willing to pay full price - I pay sprint $850/month and would hope their retention department will make things right for me.
    Holy crap thats a lot of money? Company?

So you'd really switch to Verizon where you'll pay $1200 or AT&Crap and pay $1400??

Could always get a go phone.
    mainly they need to release an update ASAP. if there is a 1.3, it has to come out now.

Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    I think from watching this forum and others the Pre is dying.
    Why bother with a Hero? Hold out for a couple of months and just pick up one of the newer/better/faster phones based on the Android design?

The Hero is more like a step sideways. Trading one feature &/or design flaw/shortcoming for another.
    yeah its (7 lines) all $99 plans. I hope it gives me some clout.

regarding the pre, my wife refused to let me upgrade her from the Centro (even when she needs the camera) becuase of seeing me fumble and bumble with the calendar. she says "I will not give up my calendar for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    mainly they need to release an update ASAP. if there is a 1.3, it has to come out now.
    What is an update going to do? It's not like there is any real information released on what it is going to fix. About the only things we can be assured of is that there are no new features or major bug fixes and it does NOT contain an OS speedup.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Why bother with a Hero? Hold out for a couple of months and just pick up one of the newer/better/faster phones based on the Android design?

The Hero is more like a step sideways. Trading one feature &/or design flaw/shortcoming for another.
    Because I am still a tech geek and I want something new (I thought the pre would work cause I love Palm, I think the old palm). I want to avoid going back to the centro if possible because there's no more future for it, but if I must, I must. I can deal with growing of a platform if it does the basics well - PIM functions - the pre doesn't do PIM well as far as I'm concerned.

Let me clarify, becuase I'm not willing to wait with the pre for 3 months for other phones to come out. I need to make a change becuase of the calendar primarily
    well, it would show progress.

who knows what the hold up and could be technical and they just cant release sooner but if it were possible i would be updating on a weekly basis if possible even if it's to fix little patches that are already out unofficially to show progress. geez, they should have did the memory fix a long time ago unless it's part of a big issue that we have no idea about that requires major change.

even then, they have twitter... they know the natives are restless... they should use it to their advantage to stay in contact with their customers and give them a little insight instead of letting people get tired and drop off like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    What is an update going to do? It's not like there is any real information released on what it is going to fix. About the only things we can be assured of is that there are no new features or major bug fixes and it does NOT contain an OS speedup.
    To the OP, I hear you. I've been longing for my old Centro lately. Trouble is, I need a good browser too nowadays. But if the calendar doesn't get fixed soon I might just do it. It would be painfully ironic but I'm getting there.

If you care about the calendar and PIM in general, there's not a lot in Android for you. The calendar is snappy, you can move around, but the date and time selection widgets are even more basic than the Pre's, and while I used my G1, I found myself fiddling a lot to enter data. Here it is:

These are really text fields. You tap on them or move between them using the ball. If you tap, you place a cursor somewhere in between the characters and then delete and type, just like editing plain text. Or, you can tap the plus and minus buttons to change the values. It does show you the day of week, but it's really clunky. It does have Agenda view, but you can't search it (ironic coming from Google). It's nothing like the old Palm OS calendar.

Last note: you can use the Pre keyboard to select values in the date and time widget. That does cut down on tapping and scrolling, though it doesn't solve the issue of quickly moving around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sivan; 11/08/2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post

If you care about the calendar and PIM in general, there's not a lot in Android for you. The calendar is snappy, you can move around, but the date and time selection widgets are even more basic than the Pre's, and while I used my G1, I found myself fiddling a lot to enter data. Here it is:
    Dang , that's why I posted here, didn't want to end up in the same situation with another device. Thanks for the heads up on the Hero.

I didn't put it in the original post, but I do love the browser on the pre and use it a lot. But the Centro one was functional for me as most sites rendered fine for me (its sad that I'm saying that).