View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    197 70.36%
  • No

    40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

    37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

    28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 71 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374757681121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 4493
  1. #1401  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Heh. That's embarrassing.
    I didn't even know about that. Thanx Lou- But, of course, everything else still stands.
    Any time.
  2. #1402  
    would you mind explaining what you are talking about briggsie?????
    are you following this thread?????

    clearly if you were I have never stated anything about palms stock until my last post and yes I do not know MUCH about the stock market.

    As far as everything else that I have posted on this thread I do indeed know a lot about!!!

    please do not take one line out of one of my posts and assert it to everything else I have said that is either a childish act or just pure stupidity!!!!!
  3. #1403  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I admit I know absolutely nothing about the stock market but when I read that palms stock has dropped drastically in the last two months also leads me to believe (again just my opinion) that if palm does not do something big very quickly they could very likely be left in the dust.
    Palm's stock price is currently about where it was 2 months ago. It's down about $5 from it's high this month, but Google is down $8 today. The whole market is pretty up and down (more down) of late. Percentage-wise, Palm fluctuates a whole lot more than Google obviously.
  4. #1404  
    just going off of what I read on the precentral home page


    PALM STOCK PLUNGES ON DOWNGRADE, DOWN 23% FOR MONTH

    not sure how to post the link but you can simply go to the home page and read the article

    again I don't know much about the stock markets and do not at all question your knowledge. I am just stating what I read which seems that it could be a bad sign although I do understand what you say I do understand that stocks rise and fall all the time and one month does not tell you much.
  5. #1405  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    would you mind explaining what you are talking about briggsie?????
    are you following this thread?????

    clearly if you were I have never stated anything about palms stock until my last post and yes I do not know MUCH about the stock market.

    As far as everything else that I have posted on this thread I do indeed know a lot about!!!

    please do not take one line out of one of my posts and assert it to everything else I have said that is either a childish act or just pure stupidity!!!!!
    Sure i will explain.I started this thread!I was trying to give you a compliment about your post.I guess you read it wrong or i wrote it wrong.
  6. #1406  
    I apologize briggsie!...lol I gues you get so used to people taking shots at you on here you get a little defensive.

    after I posted my reply I read your post again and started wondering if you were taking a shot at me or agreeing.

    again I apologize!!!!!
  7. #1407  
    I almost wish PreCentral wouldn't post articles about changes in market share and whatnot as most people really don't understand what they're reading.

    A reduction in market share by percentage is not necessarily a death blow as long as the given market is growing. Especially in the case of something like smartphones, which in the grand scheme of things, are a new product. When it comes to modern technology, the early front-runners will inevitably take a hit when new players come to the game. The newcomers can start fresh, learn from early innovations, and hit the ground running if implementing correctly. And it's not to say the new products are necessarily better, but in this world being inundated by advertising, products not to be released for months are already given the title of (insert older product here)-killer.

    As a result, the pioneering companies are forced to balance between innovating and not pushing away loyal customer bases. There will be a market shift as it's flooded with new products giving more options to newcomers as well as long timers.

    Maybe people around here have their PhD in Business Economics, but I doubt it. PALM is a good company that has been around for a long time, so I trust their business model over someone reading a few internet articles and being unsatisfied with one product to be able to predict the death of the company.

    I swear the internet has played a huge, negative part in the recent demise of the economy. Too much conjecture and misinformation floating about reaches novices causing stocks to be flipped back and forth until everything is upside down and the bottom falls out. Things seem quite a bit more stable before "blogs" replace professional journals and publications. :soapbox:
  8. #1408  
    Man do I love this forum. I've become so addicted to learning about the latest buzz when it comes to smart phones that I find myself reading the forums all the time. Now I don't post all the time because I feel unless I have something constructive to bring to the conversation I might as well keep quite.

    But, one thing I do not understand is why there are so many pre haters and pessimists on this forum. I mean really why spend time on a forum if all your gonna bring to the conversation is negativity (Especially a PRE Forum!!). I can understand if you own the phone and have become concerned. But many of these seem to come from people that don't own the phone but just HATE it for some reason. I don't understand why you have to clutter the forum with all these UNHELPFUL threads. Why not consolidate all these posts into a venting sub-forum so you can get all your pre-frustrations out and leave the rest of the forum uncluttered. It has gotten so bad that I almost wish not frequent the boards anymore.

    Now, I do have one gripe that I wish to share. I wish palm would at least be more vocal on what they are working on and give us projected update periods. I understand the OS is being tweaked and worked on. Right now I feel as though palm is taking a page out of the Instinct. The worst thing Palm can do right now is go down the Instinct route. With a lack of communication they are give us electronic enthusiasts a bit of apprehension. I believe more people would be willing to stay with Palm if WE KNEW that they were actively working on updates for qualms we currently have. I know I would feel TONS better about staying with my Pre if I knew what they were working on as apposed to guessing. (This is just a little gripe I have. I DO LOVE MY PRE though )


    Rob
    Last edited by rbsjr22; 10/28/2009 at 06:28 PM.
  9. #1409  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I apologize briggsie!...lol I gues you get so used to people taking shots at you on here you get a little defensive.

    after I posted my reply I read your post again and started wondering if you were taking a shot at me or agreeing.

    again I apologize!!!!!
    lol, no problem.i know what you mean by taking shots at you on here.
  10. #1410  
    Wow. This thread is just a bunch of Palm-bashers patting each other on the back. Meanwhile, people who actually OWN THE PHONE have a life and are enjoying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  11. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #1411  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Wow. This thread is just a bunch of Palm-bashers patting each other on the back. Meanwhile, people who actually OWN THE PHONE have a life and are enjoying it.
    I believe most if not all own the Pre
  12. #1412  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    just going off of what I read on the precentral home page


    PALM STOCK PLUNGES ON DOWNGRADE, DOWN 23% FOR MONTH

    not sure how to post the link but you can simply go to the home page and read the article

    again I don't know much about the stock markets and do not at all question your knowledge. I am just stating what I read which seems that it could be a bad sign although I do understand what you say I do understand that stocks rise and fall all the time and one month does not tell you much.

    thats true, but honestly it is very unimpressive compared to the stock over the last year. palm is up, still, over 1000% since last years low of $1.14.

    wall-street hasn't bailed on palm, they are back in, and figuring things out.

    really the drop this month is, in the scheme of this companies year, tiny.

    now if I had bought in october, and wanted to sell before christmas, i would be upset, but thats not what this is about, its about the long haul.

    palm has set themeselves up with (basically) two new devices running a new ecosystem of software with back-compatibility available. It has launched internationally and can live to fight another day.


    now as for myself, whatever phone bests suits my needs next year come upgrade time, I may buy it, I don't care what brand, as long as it does whats I needs. If the pre gets some 2.0 love, bringing it into the droid realm of performance (speed and function) I may not lay down any money in June. However, I would consider it if palm, or someone else, blows me away. If however palm does not continue to support the phone, then I will stop supporting them, and a droid like device is probably where i will go. I'm pretty sure they know this, that $1.14 stung.
    There are four lights.
  13. #1413  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Wow. This thread is just a bunch of Palm-bashers patting each other on the back. Meanwhile, people who actually OWN THE PHONE have a life and are enjoying it.
    If you were able to read my posts, you would've realized that I own this phone. (since June)
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 10/28/2009 at 06:56 PM.
  14. #1414  
    I agree with you there darth mo although I do not know as much about the stock market as you, not only the internet but the media in general is more to blame than anyone. Constantly filling peoples heads about how bad the economy is only made things worse by creating fear in consumers about spending money does nothing but drive the economy down.

    unfortunately they are doing the same thing now by filling peoples heads with hopes of the economy climbing with winter time upon us, now people are going to go out and spend money they do not have only to risk getting laid off this winter.
  15. #1415  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I agree with you there darth mo although I do not know as much about the stock market as you, not only the internet but the media in general is more to blame than anyone. Constantly filling peoples heads about how bad the economy is only made things worse by creating fear in consumers about spending money does nothing but drive the economy down.
    In the end it's still people, but the internet helps to spread too much information at times.

    Companies post losses for dozens of reasons, but your average consumer tends to think the company is going to shut the doors any day now after they've posted a few consecutive negative quarters. Therein is where the internet is a detriment. People are being fed information that stifles consumer confidence when the company may just be in a bad spell but is fine. It happens. But when we're importing more than we're exporting, it's a bad idea to make your own citizens think half the domestic companies are going under.
  16. #1416  
    is anyone having trouble sending e-mails from their pre. everytime i try i get a "Email Application Alert: Error Sending "Email Name"" notification. is this a problem with the e-mail account i am using or a problem with the pre? besides that the pre has been great to me.
  17. #1417  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbsjr22 View Post
    Now, I do have one gripe that I wish to share. I wish palm would at least be more vocal on what they are working on and give us projected update periods. I understand the OS is being tweaked and worked on. Right now I feel as though palm is taking a page out of the Instinct. The worst thing Palm can do right now is go down the Instinct route. With a lack of communication they are give us electronic enthusiasts a bit of apprehension. I believe more people would be willing to stay with Palm if WE KNEW that they were actively working on updates for qualms we currently have. I know I would feel TONS better about staying with my Pre if I knew what they were working on as apposed to guessing. (This is just a little gripe I have. I DO LOVE MY PRE though )
    It's a no win situation. You promise updates and don't hit the mark, people complain about unfulfilled promises. You keep quiet and people worry about being abandoned.

    If you've ever been involved in software development, you eventually get to the point where outside of a show-stopping bug or massive security risk, updates will be ready when they're ready. I'm sure PALM has their internal target dates, but saying, "It will be ready November 2," to the public doesn't do you any good because of so many things that can push that date back.

    New things pop up every day, and you have a limited number of resources to throw at them. In the case of the Instinct, my guess is that further development became more costly than any expected revenue from the device. It sucks, but sometimes you just have to pull the plug. That said, with PALM creating a new OS and dumping WinMo, I don't think you should be concerned about them bailing on the Pre.
  18. #1418  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    It's a no win situation. You promise updates and don't hit the mark, people complain about unfulfilled promises. You keep quiet and people worry about being abandoned.

    If you've ever been involved in software development, you eventually get to the point where outside of a show-stopping bug or massive security risk, updates will be ready when they're ready. I'm sure PALM has their internal target dates, but saying, "It will be ready November 2," to the public doesn't do you any good because of so many things that can push that date back.

    New things pop up every day, and you have a limited number of resources to throw at them. In the case of the Instinct, my guess is that further development became more costly than any expected revenue from the device. It sucks, but sometimes you just have to pull the plug. That said, with PALM creating a new OS and dumping WinMo, I don't think you should be concerned about them bailing on the Pre.

    I'm less concerned with when, but what.

    I would like to know that they are working on XYZ
    just a little, we will update calander to allow an agenda view with speed improvements, it may not be out for a few releases, though we are trying to get it out sooner

    something that is nice and vague, but at-least lets us know that they aren't blind to it, and are thinking about how to improve it.
    There are four lights.
  19. #1419  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I'm less concerned with when, but what.

    I would like to know that they are working on XYZ
    just a little, we will update calander to allow an agenda view with speed improvements, it may not be out for a few releases, though we are trying to get it out sooner

    something that is nice and vague, but at-least lets us know that they aren't blind to it, and are thinking about how to improve it.
    I don't follow the iPhone that much, but how much info does Apple give out as far as iPhone updates and such? I know that they're pretty tight-lipped about major features, otherwise their damnable events wouldn't be so damnably "spectacular." (/sarc) And I know that the press definitely speculates in spades about the next Windows versions, and OS X, and etc., but do Microsoft and Apple and the rest really give out that much information about what they're planning to fix/add/delete from their products?

    I dunno, but I don't think Palm is so different in this score, albeit they sure gave out tons on info prior to the Pre's release. Of course, that backfired, because many of the complaints here seem to be around features that Palm hinted at, and that people took to mean far more than Palm was implying.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  20. #1420  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I don't follow the iPhone that much, but how much info does Apple give out as far as iPhone updates and such? I know that they're pretty tight-lipped about major features, otherwise their damnable events wouldn't be so damnably "spectacular." (/sarc) And I know that the press definitely speculates in spades about the next Windows versions, and OS X, and etc., but do Microsoft and Apple and the rest really give out that much information about what they're planning to fix/add/delete from their products?

    I dunno, but I don't think Palm is so different in this score, albeit they sure gave out tons on info prior to the Pre's release. Of course, that backfired, because many of the complaints here seem to be around features that Palm hinted at, and that people took to mean far more than Palm was implying.


    the problem palm has is that they went ahead and said it would be out in a given time frame.

    I realize the timeframe is bad, but giving us a heads up that they are working on some of the functions/enhancments, without a deadline, isn't the same thing.

    I want a more frank discussion something like

    we are working on video, we hope to have it soon, but it may not be properly bugtested for months. thats unfortunate, we know, but that is why they are called bugs, we cannot predict them and have to do testing. Along with that, even when we test, bugs that we do not see in our testing will be found by a few of the hundreds of thousands of users when it is released. this is a reality of software development. In speaking of bugs, and enhancments, we are also working to enhance certain core functionallity such as...........

    but of course, like the above we cannot say with any certainty when this will happen.

    We feel it is important to let our customers know that we are addressing there concerns and working hard to make sure there investments will get better with time....

    as a consumer I would be very happy with such a statement (cleaned and vetted and more eloquent) I understand that things don't always go as planned, no problems for me.

    I believe many of the editors for tech sites like engadget or precentral would also find such a statement reasonable (and vague)

    of course, someone in a forum will be all flustered and upset, but those are the kind of people you can't please with reality anyway.
    There are four lights.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions