View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 67 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1757626364656667686970717277117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 4493
    Yeah that HD2 or Leo or whatever they call looks pretty awesome.

Really love that UI.

Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    The droid I will have to see in action because motorolas are terrible... Hd2 looks looks like a beast though...

I wouldnt say that the pre is pathetic and the keyboard works fine for me. Not the best but its ok... I do wish for better battery life because I have to take my charger everywhere.. We do need a better app sdk IMO...
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    It also: lets me take notes during meetings that I can then email to myself to setup projects and assign tasking. It allows me to schedule via the calendar for those taskings to other members, then allows me to assign tasks for myself. It then also allows me to combine all my work and personal contacts so that it operates much like a phone book, I can then utilize Gvoice and keep work and personal life separate, but on the same phone. It also allows me to quickly take pics and send them to friends, and to keep all those messages threaded and available for quick retrieval. It also allows gives me something to do when Im bored waiting at the MVD. It also gives me the ability to surf the internet for a place to find that 'something' I forgot to order online, or that Im not quite sure where to buy it. Im able to listen to my music while out on my motorcycle, while also taking advantage of turn by turn NAV to get where Im going.

I could keep going. I know many phones offer such functionality, but the user experience on this phone is far better than Ive seen on others, and after the learning curve, Ive developed a work flow that helps speed me up, rather than slow me down. This is something that no other device has done for me before.

It would be NICE to have a vid cam function, but its not necessary, I have a dig cam that does this quite well.

It would be NICE to have more native apps, but my core needs are addressed well enough: notes, email, text, picture message, calculators. If I could create and edit MS office docs, that would be huge, and is really the only lacking function for me.

It would be NICE to have additional chat clients, Im sure we will see this sooner rather than later.

It would be NICE to have a compass, but I doubt enough people would even know how to use one these days, so its not really missed.

It would be NICE to have editting functions on the camera, or at least a zoom feature, but Im betting a decent replacement camera app will come to fruition at some point.

Most of the apps dont offer much for a guy like me, I dont game on my phone (not a gamer), I dont twitter, I dont use my phone as a medical reference journal, as a mobile ereader, or as a hockey puck.

I do use facebook, gmail, gvoice, gdocs, and amazon.com. As a result, I can do 95% of what I need to in a day. As I mentioned before, an office docs editor would be great.

Everyone has their uses, a phone isnt 'pathetic' just because its not 100% of what you need. Rather, a person who wants to like a device that doesnt do what they want and as a result bashes it because of the jealousy toward those who find the device more than useful is pathetic.

For those that think Palm is moving too slow: go develop an OS yourself, or go be an engineer for a month. Go learn what it takes to design ANYTHING, then tell me they're moving too slow. They're integrating function from a thousand sources into new code that also functions in a stable and pleasing manner on a device that is compromised for size, battery life, heat dissipation and mechanical tolerance. It takes time to perfect. Apple had far more money invested, most of the hardware figured out already, and far fewer mechanical considerations (no moving parts or keyboard!!). They have had 3 years of huge sales and large engineering resources to fix the device after launch.

Palm on the other hand is far smaller, and has far fewer resources as their product line is very small and limited (phones/pda, not desktop computers, laptops, hardware departments, programmers, etc). They've pushed some major updates rather quickly, and plan to keep up the pace. OTOH, apple's updates seem to be much farther apart. Those that say the updates weren't major: 148mb of code isnt minor :P The udpates have increased the complexity and the function of much of the underlying OS by leaps and bounds it seems.

The Pre is also the first WebOS device, WebOS itself is immature and is on its first generation of release. Once there are a half dozen platforms, half the complaints will likely disappear (keyboard, battery issue, mechanical quality). Right now, the Pre is the only hardware configuration for WebOS. I can imagine that Palm will eventually have what they did with PalmOS: a range of hardware for the value and performance conscious users to address multiple usage patterns.

You think another phone is better? Fine, go get it, no one is stopping you. Those that speak (like me) from experience about development, both mechanically and software, have very valid points about why Palm is moving 'so slow' (which is actually pretty speedy).

Also, to anyone who says Palm is in it for quick cash and will then sell out: you obviously know nothing about a business. The mobile market isnt going to fizzle like real estate. There is a real demand for these devices, and money to be made. Developing one platform, marketing, then selling off would be stupid, unless you're simply an investment firm. Palm is in it to produce an in-demand item with the goal of making money. They will make far more by staying in business for as long as possible, not by reaping a few years of profit and then selling off. Especially given that selling a company usually only yields a return that is equal to the value of assets handed-over. Yes, there is additional value in technology, but once the cost of its development has been captured, that value is decreased and isnt worth as much as people assume when its offered at market.

I for one look forward to the long term fulfillment of the potential of WebOS devices, and the trip there will be even more fun.
    Damn you are a true Pre fanatic. I understand that this is a first generation device and Palm does not have nearly enough resources compared to apple and all but it's hard looking at my Pre and then looking at the droid, hd2, and the iphone. Im just sick and tired of all this **** I had to deal with my phone, the battery is PATHETIC, the keyboard is PATHETIC, the screen size is PATHETIC, no video camera still is PATHETIC, add the fact that im on my 5th Pre because of the terrible hardware issues, it just equals something terrible. I love the software though so I'm definitely sticking with WebOS, it's just hard to like the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
    Damn you are a true Pre fanatic. I understand that this is a first generation device and Palm does not have nearly enough resources compared to apple and all but it's hard looking at my Pre and then looking at the droid, hd2, and the iphone. Im just sick and tired of all this **** I had to deal with my phone, the battery is PATHETIC, the keyboard is PATHETIC, the screen size is PATHETIC, no video camera still is PATHETIC, add the fact that im on my 5th Pre because of the terrible hardware issues, it just equals something terrible. I love the software though so I'm definitely sticking with WebOS, it's just hard to like the Pre.

You should get rid of your phone ASAP. If I thought something I bought was "pathetic" I would move on and get something else. What's the point of holding onto something and whining. If it doesn't work for you move on and get something else. Why in the world would you buy a phone when you knew before you bought it what the keyboard and the screen size was like?
    Hi guys

I love the Pre, it has huge potention butright now i think palm is not moving fast enough, I want to say thanks to all the people who created the tweaks and patches, awesome job. But all those tweaks and patches were supposed to be done by Palm before the release of the phone, and more customizable things that palm forgot to add, and that is hurting palm now cause look at the Hero and Moment both you can customize the ringtones, and other things, and there is NO lag with the HERO, i would know i got it for my wife and i will be also getting one, my wife like the hard keyboard and wants to get the Samsung Moment, so i will be taking her Hero, it has awesome games and tons of apps, the only short coming is no hard keyboard. The compition is getting tougher, between apple, rim, google all are coming out with new great phones and now Adroid opened its sdk to the public and more developers will join the Android. Dont get me wrong the Pre is awesome phone but it lacks lot of standard options, what we people want is that to be able to cutomize our phone to our needs and likes. and right now palm doesnt offer this, not looking good for palm, maybe pre 2 or pre 3 will be up more up to par but now the pre is nothing more then a beta phone. I know that this phone has huge future but palm has to step up or the future will become the past andonce again palm fell a sleep, shame great company.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    The phone is going to explode into a million pieces if you drop it more than 3 feet onto concrete.
    Simply not true. Too many people (myself included) based this notion on the way the Pre "feels". Actual use (mine included) has proven the notion to be false.
    Quote Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
    Im just sick and tired of all this **** I had to deal with my phone, the battery is PATHETIC, the keyboard is PATHETIC, the screen size is PATHETIC, no video camera still is PATHETIC, add the fact that im on my 5th Pre because of the terrible hardware issues, it just equals something terrible. I love the software though so I'm definitely sticking with WebOS, it's just hard to like the Pre.
    The battery I might could understand (thought it's comparable to most other smartphones), but seriously:

Did the keyboard change after you bought it?
    Did someone tell you that it had video?
    Did the screen suddenly shrink?
    Did you not check into any of these things before plopping your $$ down?
    Did you say something about "PATHETIC"?.?.?.
    Quote Originally Posted by garsha420 View Post
    Anyone that says the Pre is pathetic doesn't know about up and coming technology. The Pre is still in development and i'm sure will be for sometime. The versatility of the software surpasses iphone in many different ways. I'm not gonna go into that but, the software is so easy to customize and to tweak. That right there puts the Palm Webos on top as far as i'm concerned. So it's not working at full capacity yet. I'm still gonna stick it out and see what happens.
    I think Palm is doing a pretty good job, I've tried the Pre a few times (after owning a dozen Palms since the first Pilot 500). It was pretty good, but did feel a bit flimsy, especially compared to my Centro.

The big question is do they have the resources to keep up. Apple is about 20 times bigger than them (which includes Mac stuff, but still much bigger just for iPhone). It looks like there are about a dozen, or more, Android devices (including non-phones like PMPs) coming out in the next couple of months. They have the combined development resources of at least HTC, Motorola, Google, and carriers VZ, T-Mobile, and Sprint. The Droid (or Sholes, apparently) looks amazing.

Can Palm keeps its head above the water with this tidal wave coming?
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    You should get rid of your phone ASAP. If I thought something I bought was "pathetic" I would move on and get something else. What's the point of holding onto something and whining. If it doesn't work for you move on and get something else. Why in the world would you buy a phone when you knew before you bought it what the keyboard and the screen size was like?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The battery I might could understand (thought it's comparable to most other smartphones), but seriously:

Did the keyboard change after you bought it?
    Did someone tell you that it had video?
    Did the screen suddenly shrink?
    Did you not check into any of these things before plopping your $$ down?
    Did you say something about "PATHETIC"?.?.?.
    you have taken the words right out of my mouth... That post was horrible. I mean what were you doing when you bought the phone?? All of these are things you knew about.. That's why they have that little thing called the display and a return policy if you didn't want to play with the display... I agree about the battery life but all the other complaints were things that you knew about!
    Well... when you buy it you do know about the screen size and keyboard and stuff and that is one thing... having to live with it and using it on a regular basis you soon learn it's a whole different game.

Like anything else you buy... people love fast bikes and go out a buy a Ninja. Actually owning it and riding it all the time is a different story and you may find you are more of a Harley guy.

But I agree, if it's not your cup of tea, no matter how much you love the looks and the engine... I'd go with another model.

Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    you have taken the words right out of my mouth... That post was horrible. I mean what were you doing when you bought the phone?? All of these are things you knew about.. That's why they have that little thing called the display and a return policy if you didn't want to play with the display... I agree about the battery life but all the other complaints were things that you knew about!
    I think any company needs to step it up for the next iteration of a device to make it worth a purchase to people who bought the last one.

That being said, the Pre hardware isn't especially bad. Build quality is abysmal, but it's one of the few phones with that wonderful OMAP processor, one of the few with onboard storage, one of the few (well, it used to be that way until the great Android flood of Fall '09) CDMA capacitive screens, and one of the few with 24-bit color depth.

That's a good hardware foundation to expand upon. Stuff like the keyboard quality or batteries are easy enough fixes in a new model.

Software-wise....we'll just have to see.
    I love my pre BUT it is not a very durable phone. First my speaker has blown out in 5 different pre's. next if you bump, drop or open to hard it shuts off. I thought I had a winner after dealing with a htc Touch for 2yrs but i"m coming to realize i just got another headache.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I switched from a HTC Touch Pro to the Palm Pre 2 weeks ago, I was debating on the HTC TP2, but took the plunge. My first Pre must have had some odd OS issue, it would lockup when I went from WiFi off to WiFi on, or BT same thing, even if I plugged into a USB it would lock up

I took it back a week later, they gave me a new one, along with 2 extra batteries, and another wall charger.

Not a single issue with the new one, must had just been a dud, it happens.
    David E Thurman
    Downstate Illinois ARPH Representative/Coordinator

david.e.thurman@gmail.com
    (309) 222-5211 (mobile - text)
    @aussierescueil (twitter)
    www.aussierescueil.com (blog)

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain
    Since i just used the patch for using IM, i suddenly have a bunch of old friends from highschool numbers...so i'm trying to make a call, but my phone starts ringing this girl i havent talked to since hs, then i try to hang up, it takes so long that i hit it again, then it starts calling her back again...finally it hangs up. My speed dials dont work, the screen goes out while im on a call, and i have to hit the on/off to get it back up. What's the deal with this phone app? It's slow, unresponsive, and now it's made me look like a total fool calling a person i havent spoken to in 19 years at 12:30am.

How many times has somethin like this happened to u? Or is my Pre just jack-up?
    1. tired of bad palm support.
    2. No expandable memory

I am using my last palm phone. 600 650, 700p centro, now 755P. Will be moving to Android. I have been burned by palm too many times. The lack of wi-fi card support which was always on the horizon since the 650, their proprietary stereo headphones (only works with palm stereo headsets) and that they burned me with the 755p by releasing the firmware for location on the less expensive centro but not on the 755p. Never releasing an improved browser (you have to buy a newer phone) etc.

Now they develop the pre and they eliminate the data card. So you get 8GB. Every palm phone in the recent years has a memory slot, about every decent phone out there, but not the pre (or the Iphone, well thats apple and they can get away with it because they are apple, but it also stinks on the iphone as well). So I am off to Android. My wife has a hero, and it is very nice. Works fantastically well so far. No slide out keyboard but the screen keyboard is quite nice, and there will be a samsung with a nice slide out keyboard soon and booth have memory slots with up to 32 GB if you wish!

Only remaining issue for me is slingplayer which isn't out for pre either.
    Bye!
    Mod can we have this locked please.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrenner View Post
    1. tired of bad palm support.
    2. No expandable memory

I am using my last palm phone. , 700p centro, now 755P. Will be moving to Android. I have been burned by palm too many times. The lack of wi-fi card support which was always on the horizon since the 650, their proprietary stereo headphones (only works with palm stereo headsets) and that they burned me with the 755p by releasing the firmware for location on the less expensive centro but not on the 755p. Never releasing an improved browser (you have to buy a newer phone) etc.

Now they develop the pre and they eliminate the data card. So you get 8GB. Every palm phone in the recent years has a memory slot, about every decent phone out there, but not the pre (or the Iphone, well thats apple and they can get away with it because they are apple, but it also stinks on the iphone as well). So I am off to Android. My wife has a hero, and it is very nice. Works fantastically well so far. No slide out keyboard but the screen keyboard is quite nice, and there will be a samsung with a nice slide out keyboard soon and booth have memory slots with up to 32 GB if you wish!

Only remaining issue for me is slingplayer which isn't out for pre either.
    and I should care? Thanks for your input...I guess. good luck with you future lackluster life you will not be missed
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Well it has been very informative and a lot of fun here at PreCentral (constantly refreshing the main page for new stories, stalking the forums for every new homebrew app/hack/patch/etc) however due to a lot of stacked up reasons I have recently sold my Palm Pre via eBay. I did this for several different reasons. While I do think this phone has a ton of potential it also has too many areas where it is lacking. The card system is quite awesome and a great step in the right direction, however I find myself extremely frustrated by the lag, whether I'm scrolling through albums in the music player, browsing through my contacts or checking out my photos. I've also been frustrated with the lack of an SD card slot or lack of a larger internal card. I'm used to an iPod with over 60 Gigs worth of music and having to pick and choose each album, discarding good tracks to make room for the must haves, is leaving me feeling the blues. Last and mostly I find the App Catalog has been a bit of a disappointment even though I repeatedly set expectations by telling myself this was a brand new platform that will need some time. I'm tired of my iPhone/Android friends showing me these amazing apps that do so much and all I can show off is a laggy air hockey game that doesn't even have any sound.

That said I still believe this phone has a lot of potential and as I'm getting a Sprint HTC Hero this Friday I plan to stay with Sprint for quite some time and keep a watchful eye on the Pre, waiting for it to slip into a status where it is ready to take on any phone out there. Until then, have fun guys/gals, I know I sure have.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    C u l8r h8r
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    After awhile crocodile.