View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    197 70.36%
  • No

    40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

    37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

    28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 62 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1252575859606162636465666772112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 4493
  1. #1221  
    On sunday when the HTC Hero is released.
  2. #1222  
    Pre2 if it comes out next year. I bought the Pre outright and will be ready for a cheap upgrade.
  3. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #1223  
    Quote Originally Posted by pam29466 View Post
    Palm marketed the Pre and WebOS as the cutting edge, but that's only if you're a developer.

    I love Palm. I loved my Palm IIIxe, IIIc, Tungsten T2, Treo 700p, and Treo 755p, and I'm more than a casual user with hundreds of apps downloaded and purchased through the years.

    The Pre, however, has been nothing but work for me since I got it. It's a continuous struggle for us non-developers to figure out how to do all the things necessary to get simple apps that I assumed would be in a legitimate app catalog, not a beta, and not one so insignificantly small.

    I hate to admit that I'm totally lost, but I am, and despite some of the advantages of the Pre, I believe I made a huge mistake in purchasing the Pre instead of an iPhone.
    +++++++++1
    When you are dealing with a company that has limited funds/talent to make a world-class product, the Pre is what the non-developer consumer ends up with. I currently have an iPhone, and I would love to switch and try the Pre. But as a frequent reader of these forums, the Pre would have to improve by 1,000% (software, hardware, app store) before I would consider using it.
    Last edited by glenada; 10/08/2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: additions
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  4. #1224  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    On sunday when the HTC Hero is released.
    lol
  5. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #1225  
  6. #1226  
    So far so good on mine. I actually love my phone and have zero annoyances with it. I'll likely keep this till my contract expires and then get the latest greatest phone...that may or may not be a Pre, but right now I'd consider nothing else...
  7. nhyde's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #1227  
    In a couple of months. Going to make sure the HTC Hero doesn't have any major flaws and pick it up. The more I think about it, the less I want to be in a closed operating system. Android seems to be the way to go, and is available on many carriers.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  8. pico23's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #1228  
    I'll leave the Pre:

    1) When a new one comes out

    1a) when my upgrade is avail

    I actually hope an upgraded model comes out within the next 6-9 months because I want that model to get price reduced before my upgrade date.

    I get the feeling a lot of people don't do anything but buy gadgets, play with them for a few weeks/months, and move on.

    Usually I buy something because I need it, keep it till it's getting long in the tooth and then debate whether I really need an upgrade or just keep using it as is.
  9. #1229  
    At least 12 months, until my Premier $150 upgrade is available...and then I'll see what other webOS phones are available! I owned a Palm IIIxe back in 2000, and have had an HTC Touch Diamond the last year or so, and the Pre is a HUGE step up. I don't see anything beating it in the near future.
  10. pico23's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #1230  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    In a couple of months. Going to make sure the HTC Hero doesn't have any major flaws and pick it up. The more I think about it, the less I want to be in a closed operating system. Android seems to be the way to go, and is available on many carriers.
    You do realize that engineers at google are threatening to quit because android isn't nearly as open as google wants you to believe.

    Not saying it's less open than WebOS or whatever, but it's not quite as rosey as I think some want you to believe.
  11. Change's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #1231  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    +++++++++1
    When you are dealing with a company that has limited funds/talent to make a world-class product, the Pre is what the non-developer consumer ends up with. I currently have an iPhone, and I would love to switch and try the Pre. But as a frequent reader of these forums, the Pre would have to improve by 1,000% (software, hardware, app store) before I would consider using it.
    Again, as I posted earlier in this thread.

    4 months on the market vs. 2+ years on the market.

    Give it some time, folks. The Pre is already doing what it intended to do, give a comparable product to the iPhone to users of Sprint.

    In only 4 months, the apps etc have grown quickly and quite efficiently, thanks to this site. Give it some time to catch up.

    By the way, I'm not a developer. I don't know code, my Pre isn't rooted... and so far I love it. Of course, I didn't buy a calculator expecting it to function like a TV either.
  12. #1232  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman1 View Post
    Somebody please hurry up and create some fart apps so these former iPhone users will have a meaning to their lives again!
    dang, you beat me to it!
  13. hocndoc's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #1233  
    Quote Originally Posted by Change View Post
    No offense, but it appears you didn't do your due dilligence before purchasing the pre. 30 minutes on these forums alone, would have given you the information you posted above, and you likely wouldn't have ever purchased the pre. How is that Palm's, or anyone elses fault but your own?
    Thanks for your comments. It appears that I bought out of hope, due to my experience with past Palm phones.

    Perhaps my comments will help the next person who does due diligence.

    That this time, palm really is selling a beta version.

    That Palm will try to coopt iTunes technology and sales while cooperating with Sprint to kill a native application like the phone as modem.

    That Classic won't work as well with Epocrates, Audible and Pocket Tunes as truly classic Palm software did - and that these vendors seem to be waiting to see what Palm will do before they sell new versions.



    That the battery dies in 8 hours in your pocket and it takes longer to charge a Pre than a Centro.

    That the antenna is so poor that bars disappear even though the phone doesn't move.

    That the Palm Desktop will no longer be supported by Palm, as it's been sold to another company.

    That the calendar really is that bad/calendars really are worse.

    That maintaining the Pre can be a job and not a nice hobby like tweaking the Treo and Centro was.

    That throwing out all the good in the Palm hardware and software might not have been the best idea.
  14. #1234  
    It takes way too long to charge.
  15. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    #1235  
    You need to stop complaining about the lack of apps in the catalog..

    The Pre is not a phone where you can just port games and apps from other phones as easily because (1) there's no arrow keys so you have to modify the software to be touchscreen-friendly, and (2) webOS is a brand new phone OS and it's going to take a little time for it to mature.

    Stop whining that "the apps suck".. Yes, SOME apps are completely worthless, but I have at least 10 apps on my phone that on my last two phones wouldn't have even been possible to make.

    Give the phone a full year to mature and you'll have every app you could think of, I almost guaranty it.
  16. #1236  
    really though, no we don't. I don't beleive the anyone is saying there should be a huge selection this early on, but instead saying.........why are apps like pc hunt continuing to pop up, and virtually nothing from major players? That is a fair question to ask, considering the latest i heard was that they were inundated with app submissions. well, where are they? I'm not an *****, i know this phone and OS are new, but i believe that Palm is only fueling these complaints by releasing nothing but crappy "games". Either release good stuff WITH the crappy games, or nothing at all. Crappy game after crappy game is not cutting it in my book, and after paying what i did for this phone, i reserve the right to "complain" about whatever i please. Thats my right as a consumer, correct?
  17. jeffrok's Avatar
    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    #1237  
    There WILL be major players- you know there will be.. But the App store itself is STILL in beta, and the phone itself is still only 4 months old.

    I'm mainly amazed that even though "crappy" programs like the "Photohunt" games aren't the coolest, and they are simple, $.99 for an app like that in my opinion is not expensive.. Your "major players" are gonna charge $5-$8 per mobile game once they start releasing stuff. They do it on all the other phones, so I can't wait to hear the whining when that happens here.
  18. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #1238  
    I believe that the limited capabilities in the SDK and the openness of source code is keeping a lot of the serious developers away right now. That's why my shop is not developing for the platform, unfortunately. We have several iPhone apps and games that would really be nice to have on the webOS, if for nothing else than to broaden our market and lower dependence on Apple.
  19. Change's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #1239  
    Quote Originally Posted by hocndoc View Post
    Thanks for your comments. It appears that I bought out of hope, due to my experience with past Palm phones.

    Perhaps my comments will help the next person who does due diligence.

    That this time, palm really is selling a beta version.

    That Palm will try to coopt iTunes technology and sales while cooperating with Sprint to kill a native application like the phone as modem.

    That Classic won't work as well with Epocrates, Audible and Pocket Tunes as truly classic Palm software did - and that these vendors seem to be waiting to see what Palm will do before they sell new versions.



    That the battery dies in 8 hours in your pocket and it takes longer to charge a Pre than a Centro.

    That the antenna is so poor that bars disappear even though the phone doesn't move.

    That the Palm Desktop will no longer be supported by Palm, as it's been sold to another company.

    That the calendar really is that bad/calendars really are worse.

    That maintaining the Pre can be a job and not a nice hobby like tweaking the Treo and Centro was.

    That throwing out all the good in the Palm hardware and software might not have been the best idea.
    I agree with most of your statements. Hopefully they do help people trying to research the phone...

    The hope is what I still have... I've been an avid Palm user for years, I still have a Clie somewhere...

    However, most of the problems with the device right now, can be fixed with OS Updates. That's where my hope lies. That within the next year, they can perfect the device. iPhone users from launch devices had a lot of similar complaints. It's par for the course when purchasing a brand new technology.

    Hopefully Sprint doesn't hassle you in your return to your Centro.
  20. #1240  
    and I will happily pay developers 5-8 dollars for QUALITY APPS. You seem to think that I'm unhappy with the price of these pic hunt games, when in fact, I simply look PAST these low quality 99 cent apps. I would pay in upwards of 10 bucks for a quality geocaching app. I know I'm not alone....as the threads "COMPLAINING" about the lack of apps are FULL of tenured Precentral members....and this thread...has 3 souls. I'm only on this thread to reply to you, the app catalog apologist.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions