View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 225 FirstFirst 12345678910111656106 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In researching the Pre, where would I have found out that it had a highly inadequate phone app with a choppy call log and laggy button presses? How did I "set myself up" for that "unfavorable" experience?
    By being an early adopter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    This thread is brought to you, in part by, the same bunch that were screaming "RELEASE THE PRE, RELEASE THE PREE" back in May.
    God, I am getting so f'n tired of the same blanket generalizations that dismiss legitimate, rational problems people like myself have with the Pre.

Look, I was NOT in the bunch of people screaming for Palm to release it early. I do not expect it to do everything a Centro does out of the box. I don't expect it to do what an iPhone does EVER. I AM aware that it's a 1.0 product.

None of that changes the fact that some of the most important basic things shipped screwy and are still screwy despite four OS updates. It shouldn't take multiple firmware revisions to get THE PHONE part of a smartphone to work properly. Answering a call from a locked Pre should NOT be hit and miss.

How low are we going to set the bar for Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    By being an early adopter.
    Here's the great part: It's almost 90 days later. If you're going to say with a straight face to a potential buyer that if they expect a properly working phone out of the box when they buy the Pre, they should wait several months later, then you have slammed Palm much worse than 30 incessant whiners on this forum ever could.
    I've asked these questions before, but I will rephrase them so that they correspond to your points cited here:

You say the Pre might not be a nice phone for me, but is nice for other people. What "people" is a phone that you can accurately answer maybe 60-75 percent of the time great for? In researching the Pre, where would I have found out that it had a highly inadequate phone app with a choppy call log and laggy button presses? How did I "set myself up" for that "unfavorable" experience?

I went into the Pre experience with all guns ablazin and defended its shortcomings initially on this very forum. Yet, 90 days later, almost none of them have been answered despite there being four updates.
    You shouldn't have waited 90 days there, chief. I have had no trouble with calls, sure the phone app is slow and annoying. But I have yet to get a call failed error. I don't miss calls though either...if you couldn't decide within a few weeks of what the phone was like and if it was acceptable or not than you deserve to be stuck with it....seriously grow up.

Its just a phone. You don't have to keep it because its the "new thing"...you could have easily returned to your previous phone, and problem solved.Frustration ended...
    But you didn't and are now wondering how you set yourself up for an unfavorable experience??? You kinda let hype or something sweep your common sense overboard.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Here's the great part: It's almost 90 days later. If you're going to say with a straight face to a potential buyer that if they expect a properly working phone out of the box when they buy the Pre, they should wait several months later, then you have slammed Palm much worse than 30 incessant whiners on this forum ever could.
    "Properly working phone"? Nice sweeping generalization there. MY phone works. Palm can't make up for operator error. Maybe the next update will come with a bigger user manual to assist you. I have NO problems answering my phone even when its locked. In fact apart from the phone app being slow, I have had no issues with the phone app...even during an emergency when i had to dial 911....

So whats broken? What does not work outta the box on the Pre?

sorry for the dbl post...

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    You shouldn't have waited 90 days there, chief. I have had no trouble with calls, sure the phone app is slow and annoying. But I have yet to get a call failed error. I don't miss calls though either...if you couldn't decide within a few weeks of what the phone was like and if it was acceptable or not than you deserve to be stuck with it....seriously grow up.

Its just a phone. You don't have to keep it because its the "new thing"...you could have easily returned to your previous phone, and problem solved.Frustration ended...
    But you didn't and are now wondering how you set yourself up for an unfavorable experience??? You kinda let hype or something sweep your common sense overboard.
    Ah, more juvenile defensiveness. It's just sad when someone takes Palm to task with legitimate gripes and instead of contesting the problems, you contest the person. Well, it's telling more than sad.

I'm hardly stuck, sir. I can resell the Pre anytime I choose to offset the price of another phone, and I have full upgrades on two of my other lines should I choose to go that route. I could even limp until next June and use my Premier upgrade then.

What you fail to see in your myopic view is that I do not WANT to abandon the Pre at the first sign of difficulty. I DO want Palm to succeed. But taking a "Love it or leave it" attitude with people with legitimate issues is a real good way to shrink the user base of the phone, decrease sales, and ensure Palm will continue to lack the resources to adequately address the many problems of WebOS. You don't realize it, but your perspective is far more harmful to Palm than mine is.
    "Properly working phone"? Nice sweeping generalization there. MY phone works. Palm can't make up for operator error. Maybe the next update will come with a bigger user manual to assist you. I have NO problems answering my phone even when its locked. In fact apart from the phone app being slow, I have had no issues with the phone app...even during an emergency when i had to dial 911....

So whats broken? What does not work outta the box on the Pre?

sorry for the dbl post...
    Operator error? Ok.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...yone-else.html

Lots of erroneous operators there. Odd, how few other contemporary smartphones have so many people complaining about being able to simply answer a call or dial a number.

But your phone and experience is awesome, so who cares, right? I never had a persistent slider shutoff problem, or bad battery life, or dead pixels, or an oreo slider....it must be something THOSE guys are doing wrong.
    I have been a user of Palm products for almost 10 years and I have always waited at least several months after launch before buying a new Palm product. Their track record is just not that good (e.g. Treo 650, 700P). The Pre is a completely new device from an almost completely new company. I would have been shocked if it worked perfectly from launch day.

As it is, one thing about Palm that does not appear to have changed is hardware of questionable quality. With the exception of the Palm V, their hardware has always been a bit crappy. My Centro looks like a cheap toy.
    Ah, more juvenile defensiveness. It's just sad when someone takes Palm to task with legitimate gripes and instead of contesting the problems, you contest the person. Well, it's telling more than sad.

I'm hardly stuck, sir. I can resell the Pre anytime I choose to offset the price of another phone, and I have full upgrades on two of my other lines should I choose to go that route. I could even limp until next June and use my Premier upgrade then.

What you fail to see in your myopic view is that I do not WANT to abandon the Pre at the first sign of difficulty. I DO want Palm to succeed. But taking a "Love it or leave it" attitude with people with legitimate issues is a real good way to shrink the user base of the phone, decrease sales, and ensure Palm will continue to lack the resources to adequately address the many problems of WebOS. You don't realize it, but your perspective is far more harmful to Palm than mine is.
    My view is that, by posting threads in precentral calling the early days of palm newest phone an embarrassment is in no way constructive or correct.
    Palms stock has more than quadrupled.
    That's what matters.
    Review are Great from many established sources, and yes there is a thriving community dedicated on improving the capability of this device...you are aware right? How could you call it an embarrassment then? How does moaning here about lack of "meat" in the updates somehow get this "important" message to palm that your serious about it? Shouldn't you be talking palms forum? As opposed to an enthusiast's forum? Where the majority of people feel that it is anything but an embarrassment.

Ive had to return 3 Pres for dead pixels. I've had issues too, with the hardware, and some gripes about the software too...boy, for someone who says they don't like blanket generalizations you sure like to use them... So 58 posts in 90days about the app being slow...add mine too it...where the heck do you get a 25% failure rate when making or receiving calls??? Most on that thread are complaining that the app is slow to registered dials. Do you dislike exaggerations as well??
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/24/2009 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I have been a user of Palm products for almost 10 years and I have always waited at least several months after launch before buying a new Palm product. Their track record is just not that good (e.g. Treo 650, 700P). The Pre is a completely new device from an almost completely new company. I would have been shocked if it worked perfectly from launch day.

As it is, one thing about Palm that does not appear to have changed is hardware of questionable quality. With the exception of the Palm V, their hardware has always been a bit crappy. My Centro looks like a cheap toy.
    Sigh.

I didn't expect perfection. I haven't really talked about the audio app, or the GPS intermittent lock, or the calendar sluggishness, or a million other issues other people have.

No device is perfect. Not even the iPhone 3GS with top notch hardware and two years of development. Still plenty of things they can "fix" on that device.

HOWEVER, some fundamental things need to be working correctly from day one. Does the device power on? Good, good. That's a biggie. Does it make phone calls? Excellent. Also a biggie. Can I answer phone calls reliably? Uh, what do you mean "most times"? It's a phone, first and foremost. Why are there situations in which it is difficult or even impossible to answer an incoming call? Will the slider close without shutting down the device?

These are fundamentals that should never be "buggy" on any sort of large scale. Obviously, looking at the myriad of displeased customers here, some of these fundamentals ARE buggy on a large scale, and worse yet, some of them have YET to be addressed.
    Last edited by mikah912; 08/24/2009 at 11:48 AM.
    My view is that, by posting threads in precentral calling the early days of palm newest phone an embarrassment is in no way constructive or correct.
    Palms stock has more than quadrupled.
    That's what matters.
    To shareholders, maybe. To customers, having a reliably working device matters. And in some areas, Pre does not fit that definition. In most it does, but in some it does not. I'm sorry...it's true.

Palm's stock rising is predicated on the promise of the Pre since the announcement. If the reality does not match that promise in the form of incredible sales (happened for the first two weeks, and now have leveled off), widespread official apps and a thriving app store (not there yet), and market share ensuring a steady stream of capital for Palm (not there yet)...the stock price will correct itself, I assure you.

Review are Great from many established sources, and yes there is a thriving community dedicated on improving the capability of this device...you are aware right? How could you call it an embarrassment then?
    Because my quibbles are not with "lack of capability". It's with the core functionality that is still buggy and laggy. It's with the fact that there are still context-free menus everywhere showing no care whatsoever put into individual app usability. I don't need NEW capabilities. I need the ones that are there to work reliably all the time for almost all users.

How does moaning here about lack of "meat" in the updates somehow get this "important" message to palm that your serious about it? Shouldn't you be talking palms forum? As opposed to an enthusiast's forum? Where the majority of people feel that it is anything but an embarrassment.
    Anybody is welcome to differ with me, but that difference does not negate the fact that so many share the same complaints and want something done about it. I welcome debate and discussion.
    Sigh.

I didn't expect perfection. I haven't really talked about the audio app, or the GPS intermittent lock, or the calendar sluggishness, or a million other issues other people have.

No device is perfect. Not even the iPhone 3GS with top notch hardware and two years of development. Still plenty of things they can "fix" on that device.

HOWEVER, some fundamental things need to be working correctly from day one. Does the device power on? Good, good. That's a biggie. Does it make phone calls? Excellent. Also a biggie. Can I answer phone calls reliably? Uh, what do you mean "most times"? It's a phone, first and foremost. Why are there situations in which it is difficult or even impossible to answer an incoming call? Will the slider close without shutting down the device?
    Many people complained about the Treo 650's phone performance and its BT stack was woefully inadequate. The Centro was possibly the first (and therefore) last PalmOS smartphone where everything pretty worked as you would expect.

The point I am trying to make (and perhaps failing at) is that buying a new Pam device and expecting everything to work correctly might be a bit unwise given the company's past history. None of the problems people have reported have surprised me, nor have the responses from the rabid fanboys to reports of these problems. That said it has been easy for me to refrain from being a Pre early adopter thanks to Palm's decision to launch as a Sprint exclusive and also thanks to the poor support of PIM functionality and legacy PalmOS applications. I wasn't too excited about some of there other decisions either but the ones I mentioned are the show stoppers for me.
    To shareholders, maybe. To customers, having a reliably working device matters. And in some areas, Pre does not fit that definition. In most it does, but in some it does not. I'm sorry...it's true.

Palm's stock rising is predicated on the promise of the Pre since the announcement. If the reality does not match that promise in the form of incredible sales (happened for the first two weeks, and now have leveled off), widespread official apps and a thriving app store (not there yet), and market share ensuring a steady stream of capital for Palm (not there yet)...the stock price will correct itself, I assure you.

Because my quibbles are not with "lack of capability". It's with the core functionality that is still buggy and laggy. It's with the fact that there are still context-free menus everywhere showing no care whatsoever put into individual app usability. I don't need NEW capabilities. I need the ones that are there to work reliably all the time for almost all users.

Anybody is welcome to differ with me, but that difference does not negate the fact that so many share the same complaints and want something done about it. I welcome debate and discussion.
    I think here is a good question that everyone needs to ask themselves when complaining about updates, Palm, the Pre, apps, etc, etc. After using the Pre for xx number of days, would you go back to your old phone or the top of the line phone in that category that is more stable and functions properly? If you answer no, then there is no real reason to complain about any of the shortcomings of the phone. If you answer yes, then you should probably go back to the old phone or one that suits your immediate needs. I guess the people that don't know the answer to this question are the ones that are complaining.

Personally, I came from the 800w. I would rather shoot myself in the face than go back to that phone. The Treo Pro is the upgraded version of the 800w but I still don't think I would be happy with the Treo Pro. I guess if I did go back to the Treo Pro I could always go complain in the Treo Pro forums why the Pro does not have card view, why I cannot swipe away emails to delete them, and why it cannot be charged on the Touchstone. Seriously, these would all be functions my last phone had. Why isn't Palm sending more frequent updates to make the Pro have these features? Geez, it is extremely embarrassing for Palm to fail like this.
    I've got someone who will trade me their tour for my pre.. Debating it.. I mean i love the pre and being able to tether and the homebrew is picking up the slack, but Palm just isn't showing me that they are adopting it like they should be.

Tour isn't perfect either, but it atleast has proper notifications.. No wifi or tethering, though..

Neither one is perfect but the blackberry will enable me to do my job better. Web browser still sucks.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    GPS hack is nice... I think there's a big point you and a lot of people are missing, the Palm Pre is natively based on Linux, meaning there exists 1000s of linux applications already that can be run. The GUI apps are great but that's only the tip of the iceberg most people see.
    Check out http://PalmPre-Hacks.com where I document every hack I do on my Palm Pre.
    I think all of you experts that keep spouting off about how easy it is for Palm to immediately fix your particular set of "deal-breaker embarassing absolute basic smartphone features" should quit your jobs and form a company together producing smartphones.

Sure, there's stuff that needs fixin', but unless you've actually worked in the industry you're just blowing smoke.

Put up, or shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nowise View Post
    The question is, why did you spend $299 on a phone without reading any of the reviews or playing with it at a Sprint store/Best Buy? None of these things are advertised features....
    I'm new to the smartphone game. I spent about an hour playing with the Pre in a Sprint Store. My mistake is that I assumed that a smartphone had all the functionality of a regular device plus more, so naturally the thought of checking for notification lights never crossed my mind because all Sprint phones comes with notification lights. I'm willing to bet multitudes of consumers make the same leap in logic. Its an innocent assumption. A store tech joined me and went over the features of the phone. He became my review. He made it sound as if Jesus created the device himself. So I was sold. It wasn't until I came to return the Pre that the tech shared that many returns had been made due to the reasons I returned mine. I suppose receiving that commission was infinitely more crucial than laying out the pros AND cons for me "pre" purchase.

I'm guilty as charged. My defense is ignorance.

I only very recently discovered this forum and those like it. They are a wealth of information. Had I only perused the 'Bug' thread in this forum before purchase I would have been spared a trip to the Sprint Store.
    I'm willing to bet everyone reading this post has at one time or another returned an item because it didn't meet their needs. No harm no foul.

Hindsight is 20-20.

The great takeaway? There is still food in the cupboard. My kids are still healthy. Wifey still loves me. The Pre still looms in my near future. ;-)
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I think here is a good question that everyone needs to ask themselves when complaining about updates, Palm, the Pre, apps, etc, etc. After using the Pre for xx number of days, would you go back to your old phone or the top of the line phone in that category that is more stable and functions properly? If you answer no, then there is no real reason to complain about any of the shortcomings of the phone. If you answer yes, then you should probably go back to the old phone or one that suits your immediate needs. I guess the people that don't know the answer to this question are the ones that are complaining.

Personally, I came from the 800w. I would rather shoot myself in the face than go back to that phone. The Treo Pro is the upgraded version of the 800w but I still don't think I would be happy with the Treo Pro. I guess if I did go back to the Treo Pro I could always go complain in the Treo Pro forums why the Pro does not have card view, why I cannot swipe away emails to delete them, and why it cannot be charged on the Touchstone. Seriously, these would all be functions my last phone had. Why isn't Palm sending more frequent updates to make the Pro have these features? Geez, it is extremely embarrassing for Palm to fail like this.
    egzagtly
    I came from 800W, and I am not missing it, except for the jail broken tethering.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I think it's embarrassing that palm can't make a phone that outputs coffee through the usb port but don't get me wrong - I love my pre.

I think it's telling that the original poster does not work for palm and cannot make coffee come out of the usb port for me - I guess were're one and the same... No wait, we're not. I bought a phone knowing exactly what it could and could not do & % &; 8"?31?3.

I think it is a bonus that palm makes it possible for people to stop complaining about what each individual wanted and did not get, and allow those with the motivation and intelligence to do it themselves.

So it seems, all I need is have my pre generate a frequency equivalent to glass breaking and set my pre next to a hot glassbreak detector wired to a 110 step relay to trip my coffee pot and turn it on...

Or maybe i'll just get up...
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I think all of you experts that keep spouting off about how easy it is for Palm to immediately fix your particular set of "deal-breaker embarassing absolute basic smartphone features" should quit your jobs and form a company together producing smartphones.

Sure, there's stuff that needs fixin', but unless you've actually worked in the industry you're just blowing smoke.

Put up, or shut up.
    Exactly,

PALM should announce a new breakthrough phone , the same folks will be waiting forever it to be released.