View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    197 70.36%
  • No

    40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

    37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

    28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 53 of 225 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 4493
  1. zonyl's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #1041  
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    I was making a point of how useless the ability is. Well maybe not useless but just how many people are actually using their Pre to navigate and listen to Pandora at the same time?
    I live in a thing called a suburb, commute every weekday to a major city, like listening to custom commercial free music, and like to avoid traffic. I'm sure there is no one else that does this.
  2. #1042  
    ugh, creaky creaky!@ when i grab the phone to type there is too much flex and creak in the rear caes... alum/mag body would be nice!
  3. shotyme's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #1043  
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    Here we go again. How much longer can you guys keep defending Palm and this phone? I mean come on! The whole "It's a new phone/OS" excuse has grown very old. The fact of the matter is, since this phone's release Palm hasn't contibuted 1 useful update. Not 1! Everything exciting about this phone has come from Homebrew/WebOS Quick Install apps and tweaks. From the consumers. "Blinking notifications", "Animated Menus"...Whoop Dee F-ing Doo!!! We can download & copy text/pics from the browser now...so can almost every other smartphone on the market! We can listen to Pandora while navigating? Maybe you have heard of a little invention called a car stereo. Who f-ing cares. Who uses their phone for a stereo anyway? What is that putting out? .05 RMS? Be serious.

    Palm has done 1 thing right. They gave the consumers with a understanding of Linux, a canvas to paint on so to speak. They have made us Palm employees (without salaries) by letting us fix and improve on their phone/OS for them. The Pre is starting to look up, but it's not from anything Palm has actually done. Thanks go out to all of the regular people out there who have taken the time to program apps/games and come up with tweaks and patches for the Pre. Without you guys this phone wouldn't be worth the plastic it's made of!
    I have to disagree with you. This phone as turned out to be customizable in a hold new degree. If you want to add tweaks to your phone, you can. It is the most open phone I have every seen. I would guess on 15-20% of Pre owners use precentral.net apps and tweaks. The vast majority of people are not doing this. Precentral.net provides resources to customize your phone and other tips and tricks.

    Palm has brought something to the table that no other company has managed to do. WebOS is a very unique OS. Its multitasking abilities are unmatched. At the same time, it is still in its infancy stages. If you don't like it, get another phone.

    There are hundreds of phones out there because a phone's ability is a "personal preference"


    If you like sliders and multitasking, get a Pre. If you don't like the Pre's multitasking phone, get a WinMo or wait for the Hero.

    Complaining about missing features and hardware problems are one thing and everyone has the right to do. Saying that the only thing Palm has done right was making this phone Linux base makes you sound like a person who just hates Palm.
  4. #1044  
    wow....i could have not said it better. i totally agree. i need not say anymore.
  5. #1045  
    Hello All,

    As many of you know, I have been a Palm loyalist forever, Have long been a mod (Although not active enough) on Treocentral and Precentral, and have played the role of Fan-Boy for years.

    I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the Pre and after a difficult courtship have decided to abandon Palm and WebOS until a major seed change.

    Other than the battery drain and "Oreo" build quality issues, which have been very well documented on these forums and others... what did it in for me was the following.

    It may seem simple, but its a problem at the core of the user experience.

    Using the Pre/WebOS for email is like owning a PC, but not being able to install Outlook to run directly on the OS. Instead you can only use the web based Outlook Web Access.

    Even though the features are ostensibly the same, having to constantly wait 5-6 seconds for a compose/reply window to open up a new web page instead of opening up immediately as it would within a native application is simply unacceptable.

    Perhaps Goodlink will address this and run more like a native vs. web app; but if thats the case Palm should have given Good access early enough to be ready for launch as they did with Seven networks and others BEFORE the Treo 600 Launch.

    Its a great phone and a very promising OS, but it is simply not there as an enterprise level device yet.

    I look forward to finding a way back to Palm, and will miss so much about the product line and user community, but sadly, the pre simply falls short in too many ways to be a mature enterprise level product.

    -MJD
    Last edited by WeeBitObsessed; 10/05/2009 at 07:40 PM.
  6. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #1046  
    Thats a decent reason. I mean it isn't working for you the way you need it to so you need to find something that will. Makes sense, at least you tried.
  7. #1047  
    What phone are you using now and are you staying with Sprint?
  8. #1048  
    A seed change? Is that what farmers do every spring?
  9. #1049  
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    What phone are you using now and are you staying with Sprint?
    I'm not going to stay with Sprint (I needed an Airrave to get decent service here in NYC midtown) Even though Sprint is SO much cheaper; I'll nurse a BBRY TOUR on Verizon until I find a device that works. Ironically, the 755p with Goodlink performs as well a blackberry does, I'm not sure why I wont just use that again, but it just feels a little stale.
  10. #1050  
    It sounds like it was more then just a delay in opening a compose/reply window in Outlook..you mentioned four issues that effected your use of a Pre.
  11. #1051  
    I would have to agree... to a degree. While the webOS concept is very cool, I find it inherently flawed in that I cannot develop or use native applications.

    We've made some huge steps towards better, native code and languages. Sandbox techniques for C/C++, etc. It seems incredibly odd to me that we would use an inefficient, scripting language on a mobile device when we could do the same-thing faster and more efficient with native code.

    While I really enjoy the user experience of webOS, I do get frequently annoyed with the sluggishness of some pieces.

    I'm not planning on moving from my Pre yet, however, as I am writing applications for it but I'm very tempted to jump ship to Andriod and the Hero.

    My Wife also has a Pre but now she wants to go to BlackBerry.
  12. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #1052  
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed View Post
    I needed an Airrave to get decent service here in NYC midtown
    wow really? manhattan is one of the few places my Pre works perfectly.
  13. #1053  
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    It sounds like it was more then just a delay in opening a compose/reply window in Outlook..you mentioned four issues that effected your use of a Pre.
    There were many flaws, but the lack of native access and related sluggishness were the only true deal killers for me.
  14. #1054  
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed View Post
    There were many flaws, but the lack of native access and related sluggishness were the only true deal killers for me.
    Personally mine is more of a toy with some business use thrown in

    Most of the issues I've had are hardware related.. like the slight oreo twist and static on the headphone jack both of which I've fixed myself, although that doesnt excuse the actual problems.

    I just read your post like the outlook problem was the "straw that broke the camels back" and that if that had been your only problem you would still keep it.
  15. #1055  
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed View Post
    Hello All,

    As many of you know, I have been a Palm loyalist forever, Have long been a mod (Although not active enough) on Treocentral and Precentral, and have played the role of Fan-Boy for years.

    I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the Pre and after a difficult courtship have decided to abandon Palm and WebOS until a major seed change.

    Other than the battery drain and "Oreo" build quality issues, which have been very well documented on these forums and others... what did it in for me was the following.

    It may seem simple, but its a problem at the core of the user experience.

    Using the Pre/WebOS for email is like owning a PC, but not being able to install Outlook to run directly on the OS. Instead you can only use the web based Outlook Web Access.

    Even though the features are ostensibly the same, having to constantly wait 5-6 seconds for a compose/reply window to open up a new web page instead of opening up immediately as it would within a native application is simply unacceptable.

    Perhaps Goodlink will address this and run more like a native vs. web app; but if thats the case Palm should have given Good access early enough to be ready for launch as they did with Seven networks and others BEFORE the Treo 600 Launch.

    Its a great phone and a very promising OS, but it is simply not there as an enterprise level device yet.

    I look forward to finding a way back to Palm, and will miss so much about the product line and user community, but sadly, the pre simply falls short in too many ways to be a muture enterprise level product.

    -MJD
    So you're saying when you open up an email in the Pre's native email app and click reply it takes you on average 5-6 seconds for it to be ready? That can't be right. I just did it and it's ready in about 2-3 seconds tops?
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  16. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #1056  
    Ummm... I'm confused. Why are you using the web-based OWA - or was that just an analogy for the web-based nature of all the Pre apps?

    I guess it does take a few seconds for anything to open on the Pre and I can see how it would be annoying. On the other hand I tend to multitask and so anything taking a few seconds rarely bothers me - I just do something else
  17. #1057  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    So you're saying when you open up an email in the Pre's native email app and click reply it takes you on average 5-6 seconds for it to be ready? That can't be right. I just did it and it's ready in about 2-3 seconds tops?
    mine takes about 2 seconds or less, definately something i can easily deal with
    Never had a long wait

    As for battery drain, i got the seiod extended 2600, and if i am fully charged at 7am, i dont have to connect it to recharge until 7am the next day, and thats truth. That means i dont have to buy a car charger or touchstone, or extra wall unit, i just charge one time at night and thats it.

    NEver had this oreo problem, but if i did, i would just replace it

    No phone is perfect no matter what other route you take
  18. #1058  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Ummm... I'm confused. Why are you using the web-based OWA - or was that just an analogy for the web-based nature of all the Pre apps?

    I guess it does take a few seconds for anything to open on the Pre and I can see how it would be annoying. On the other hand I tend to multitask and so anything taking a few seconds rarely bothers me - I just do something else
    Yeh it may take 5 seconds or so for an app to open , but to avoid this, just keep those main apps you use open in cards, therefore no startup delay. But i only see delays in starting up the program, once they run, i dont notice any lag
  19. #1059  
    Agree, the service in NYC is pretty good.
  20. #1060  
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed View Post
    Hello All,

    As many of you know, I have been a Palm loyalist forever, Have long been a mod (Although not active enough) on Treocentral and Precentral, and have played the role of Fan-Boy for years.

    I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the Pre and after a difficult courtship have decided to abandon Palm and WebOS until a major seed change.

    Other than the battery drain and "Oreo" build quality issues, which have been very well documented on these forums and others... what did it in for me was the following.

    It may seem simple, but its a problem at the core of the user experience.

    Using the Pre/WebOS for email is like owning a PC, but not being able to install Outlook to run directly on the OS. Instead you can only use the web based Outlook Web Access.

    Even though the features are ostensibly the same, having to constantly wait 5-6 seconds for a compose/reply window to open up a new web page instead of opening up immediately as it would within a native application is simply unacceptable.

    Perhaps Goodlink will address this and run more like a native vs. web app; but if thats the case Palm should have given Good access early enough to be ready for launch as they did with Seven networks and others BEFORE the Treo 600 Launch.

    Its a great phone and a very promising OS, but it is simply not there as an enterprise level device yet.

    I look forward to finding a way back to Palm, and will miss so much about the product line and user community, but sadly, the pre simply falls short in too many ways to be a muture enterprise level product.

    -MJD
    so are you still a moderator?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions